Age of arthritis sufferers??

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 23. Nov 2009, 17:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having a few days off work while I get through this flare up. The worst one ever so am reseaching as much as possible on the internet. I am still not fully aware of what this disease actually involves. I have been told I have spondyloaropathy, which effects my back, hip, knee and more recently shoulder - all on the left side.

I was wondering what age you were all diagnosed and how long it was until you felt some relief / symptoms got worse.
Am I likely to ever recover from this or do you think it is something I have been lumbred with.
All my life I have kept active, played sports, dont smoke, have the ccassional drink but max 4 drinks on special occassions, so dont really know why I have got this disease.

I am 29 and take sulphasalazine (just starting 4th week), prednisalone (which has just gone up to 20mg a day) celebrex and omeprazole.

Comments

• stephiey
    stephiey Member Posts: 61
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bailey, sorry you're not feeling too good at the moment.
    Im Stephanie & I was diagnosed when I was 4/5. Im 17 now, was in remission when I was 12 but it returned when I was about 14. Used to be called JIA but its changed again. Ive been on methotrexate for a year or so, I also used to take it when I was younger. Ive tried sulfasalazine, naproxen, prednisolone, tramadol, cocodamol, oramorph & others but can't quite remember lol

It's really hard to think about the future cause as I've found, everyone is different & arthritis is completely unpredictable.

Not sure if this was any help but I hope you feel better soon
    Take care
    x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Was your problem caused by a fracture or by weakening of your spine?

Peeps who get arthritis have often lived a life exactly as you have.
    There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason why some "get" it and others do not. Sometimes it would appear to be genetic but often not.

I have had a slight curvature of the lower spine since the age of 14 years old and that has now come back to haunt me big time ie sciatica.
    My Osteo arthritis started in my thumbs when I was around 40 years old. Later on came the arthritic knees. I am 58 years old now. My Osteo arthritis has not improved, except in my knee when I had a TKR. The other knee needs attention very soon.

Has any operation been spoken of for you, on your back?

E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have R.A.It seemed to start age 36 after the birth of my son and a play on the trampoline.Had it bad for a year because I thought it was a sports injury-had no idea it was R.A.Suffered for a year before went to GP(just moved house when it started so had no Gp at first).I was very fit,slim,danced a lot,walked a lot,hardly ever drank(apart from Baileys here and there funnily enough)had smoked after my divorce but only when out and about.
    After birth of next child 4 years later my R.A went through the roof.I sometimes think it was stress for me,as my divorce financial settlement went on until just before Son was born and then birth,followed by R.A. and then worse with next birth.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    I have RA. Dx'd when I was 19, think I've had it since I was 18. I'm now 22.

Been on MTX, sulphasalazine, leflunomide, azathioprine, hydroxychloroquine, Humira, prenisolone, co-codemol (all doses), Arcoxia, diclofenac, ibuprofen. Currently still on hydroxy., Humira, prednisolone, co-codemol. Due to change to Rituximab soon.

I've been in remission once for 6-8 months, came out if it earlier this year. Just had to come off azathioprine due to it sending my white cell count haywire.
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    I was diagnosed with JIA aged 7 after I was pushed down a slide! They thought I'd broken my arm and couldn't understand why it wasn't healing. Turned out it was arthritis. Was on all kinds of awful medicine for a year or so then went in to remission.

It flared up again in my early 20s but seemed to be controlled with Voltarol (awful on the stomach) and the odd steroid jab. Went in to remission when we moved to Indonesia (I do think the weather there helped).

17 years and 3 kids later, it has flared up again. Started with a burst Bakers cyst but now affecting many more joints. Was on arcoxia at first, which did nothing, now on celebrex which isn't much better. Saw Rheummy yesterday who wants to get me started on mtx asap. To say I'm a little bit nervous about that is putting it mildly!

Lois x
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Bailey, sorry for how you are feeling at the moment, I was diagnosed at 37 years, but did have aches and pains for some years previously, I wasn't really suprised when RA was diagnosed, I am 51 now and am on Mxt injections 20mg, but I often have flare ups love Jaspercatxx
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Hi,

I am 39 and was diagnosed with FAI and OA 2 years ago. First noticed a problem with my hips 9 years ago but just ignored it.

Has changed my life, I married 4 years ago and can't do a lot of thins that I could do when first married but we have learned to adapt and cope (with lots of support from OH). I have also recently been advised that I shouldn't become preganant as i could have problems and would be classed as high risk. Although it wasn't something we were planning i felt it took a part of my womanhood away.

Sorry, I went on a bit.

anne
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I've had OA officially since I was 51/2 not 100% certain! I've had aches and pains including some really bad times since I can remember, I had time off with a bad back at about 14 and that was really bad. I don't know what caused it but was off school for a longish time I know my Mum had OA for as long as I can remember and she used to say that she started having back problems when she was in her teens! It sort of makes you wonder, I think their is a genetic cause with OA, the scientific medics are looking at things along those lines, I read somewhere, Arthritis Research, I think. Anyway, love Sue
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Bailey!
    I have Psoriatic arthritis and some OA. Officially diagnosed 13 yrs ago when I was 45 but had problems with joints before that...thought swollen red fingers were result of frost bite and sore arm tennis elbow! didn't go to the doc until I noticed I could no longer straighten my arm.............. took a year for the diagnosis though as I don't have the skin condition.

Been on naproxen, sulpha, gold, azathioprine, amitriptylline. steroid injections, tramadol, celebrex, diclofenac, meloxicalm and enbrel- those are the ones I remember. Currently on Humira and Mtx injections, codydramol, folic acid and joint injections.

PA is supposed to be less aggressive than other forms of autoimmune, but somebody forget to tell my body that! Has affected numerous joints and have had ops on elbows, back, wrist and knee and more surgery scheduled for next year for both wrists. Also have disease of kidney and liver probs all associated with autoimmune process.

Apart from that I'm good as new!!

Important thing is to take meds regularly, look after your joints, ask for help when you need it and make good use of this forum who are great at providing advice, support and for making you laugh! Iris x
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    Hi Bailey!

I was diagnosed 3 years ago aged 30 with AS after a massive flare however looking back I think I have had some form of arthritis since I was a child. I had problems with my legs all through my life but I still remained really active up until a few years ago. I even managed to do karate and play rugby.

In the past few years life has changed alot and I take things easier now as the AS also affects most of my joints and my eyes. I am on Anti Tnf and Mtx plus pain killers and these have helped a lot. I also stopped work in July and it was the best decision I have ever made.

It's hard to get used to but things will improve, especially if you can find a combo of meds that works best for you. I have found this forum to be a huge help, just knowing other people like me are out there :)

Hang in there Bailey, things will get better for you x

Arna x
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Hi, i am 35 and was diagnosed with OA of the spine in Aug of this year after suffering back pain since i was 17! The docs never seem interested but i recently (18months ago) changed dr and after only my 2nd visit to him with back pain, he sent me for x rays and got my diagnosis. For what he explained of the x rays, it would appear that this did start all that time ago. I take co-codamol when needed which is normally just 2 tablets once a day, and arcoxia which is normally 1 once a day. I do have 'flare ups' and sometimes can hardly move but since being on these meds, although i still get pain i would say its mild-moderate. I was also taking diazepam but it seems this was causing me depression so just yesterday the nurse asked me to try and stop taking it. (if you read my recent posts-worst day ever thread, you will understand)
    On the bright side, i am still holding down a 40hr week physical job. I stand for 8hrs a day and it can involve a lot of bending and lifting but if i feel i can't lift something (weights go up to 25kg) i simply ask someone else to do it for me. Keeping work informed as much as i can helps since the more they understand, the more they considerate they are towards you, well in my experience anyway. I'm still rather new to all this but i don't think there is any 'light at the end of the tunnel' as such, it isn't going to go away, but once you get the correct meds and learn to adapt a little life becomes easier.
    Carol X
  • seebazz
    seebazz Bots Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Bailey, I am 37 and was diagnosed in March 08 with Avascular Necrosis and OA in both hips and right knee, I had symptoms for at least 5 years prior but "ignored" it to a point where I felt I needed to get thins checke out once and for all, it was a shock when I received the diagnosis and over the 20 months since I am finding bits of my mobility are starting to diminish, little things like putting socks and shoes on, cant get into a bath any more (strictly showers!!), am starting to use a crutch more and more when out and about and the sudden fatigue is an irritant too.

Medication wise I am on co-codamol and diclofenac with omeprazole, like yourself I used to do a lot of active sports, it is a case of remaining upbeat and trying to maintain a positive mental attitude and finding alernatives, swimming for example, I decided to give our local half marathon a go on crutches next May, sounds daft but others have done it and besides its a challenge, to do while I still can.
  • bailey27
    Options
    bailey seems to have gone awall!

Lol

Sorry still here been caught up bwatching celebrity jungle!!!

My rheumatologist phoned today and is going to see me next week at the day centre to review $e. Not sure what that will involve as neever been to the day centre only the regular rheumatology clinic. I often look back to a few years ago, maybe as much as 10 years ago when I started to get.a stiff back every morning and would resort to twisting quite aggressively to get all the bones to crack before I staryed my day. Now I can barely move my back in the mornings and it does seem to be getting worse. It started in my hip and lower back and during this flare up have felt it further up my back and hae even felt like my ribs are stiff ( don't know if that is possible??) When I take a deep breath imy chest feels very tight across the front and in the back of chest. I always think that one day someone will invent a moricle drug to magic it all away.
    It does seem to be getting worse quiite rapidly. I usually can tolerate the pain and stiffness but the last day or two have been unbearable. I am into my 4th weel of sulphasalazine so wouldn't expect to have a massiv eflare up especially as I am still on the prednisalone. The dr said it can take months to feel the benefit but at the same time if I am still on the other meds surely I shouldn't get flare ups, especially not this bad. If I should expect flare ups then maybe I'm better off not taking any meds and avoid putting all these chemicals in my body!!??
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hey Bailey,
    Your meds don't sound as if they have things under control...when you back at doc? I know it takes time for the different drugs to reach maximum effect but you maybe need to ask again if this is normal or if you should be getting something else?

We've all go through trying out various meds (as you can see from all the replies to your post!) and find some work, some don't and some only work for a limited time... arther seems to change it's 'appearance' (effects) like a chameleon and the best we can do is respond by getting the right treatment to keep it under control.

Think it's best that you don't decide to stop taking the meds though...that could result in things getting worse!

Sorry anyway that you are in pain just now. hope it gets better asap. Iris x
  • bailey27
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    Hey Bailey,
    Your meds don't sound as if they have things under control...when you back at doc? I know it takes time for the different drugs to reach maximum effect but you maybe need to ask again if this is normal or if you should be getting something else?

We've all go through trying out various meds (as you can see from all the replies to your post!) and find some work, some don't and some only work for a limited time... arther seems to change it's 'appearance' (effects) like a chameleon and the best we can do is respond by getting the right treatment to keep it under control.

Think it's best that you don't decide to stop taking the meds though...that could result in things getting worse!

Sorry anyway that you are in pain just now. hope it gets better asap. Iris x

My rheumy dr phoned me and is going to see me at his day clinic tuesday. He said he will review me, not sure what might involve. I do feel a lot vetter today though, think the increase in prednnisalone has improved things. I am also thinking a lot clearer today now I have managed to have a good night sleep. I woke up soaked through with sweat though which I am guessing is due to the flare up too??? Thanks for all ur advice, keep it coming!!! Lol.
  • bailey27
    Options
    Oh if you insist! Lol
    Going to spend whole weekend resting up, hopefully be back to normal monday. :)
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    I was 19/20 when diagnosed, now just about to turn 31, got it when at uni.....had a nasty dose of the flu, and got very very ill and then the RA kicked in, over the years its gradually seemed to have affected most of me :(
    Have tried lots of meds but finally settled on MTX and was very settled and under control until a few years ago when we decided to try for a baby :roll: now back to struggling to get it under control, difficult with a bouncing 18mth old boy but worth it every bit.
    RA has been a road I never thought I would travel but against the odds since i've had it i've completed 3 degrees, met and married my husband, had a wonderful son and got a fab job.
    Life has been a bit different than I first set out but thats life really and i'm just proud and happy with the way its turned out...sometimes i wish it hadn't been the struggle but its made me look at somethings differently and i think that , that its probably all for the good.