What do you miss most about home when you go away?

Options
ninakang
ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
edited 22. Nov 2009, 13:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
This week I enjoyed the launch in Brum but I didn't enjoy going back to an empty hotel room and waking up alone in peace and quiet each morning! You'd think I'd relish it, wouldn't you, but it was awful. Ringing home morning and evening each day wasn't the same, I could hear the normal home stuff going on in the background and it just made me feel very sad. So my list of stuff I miss is:

- Being able to interact with my family
- Noise
- Cooking for my family
- Home cooked food
- Being able to use my "things" and not have to unpack or look for things and then have to pack them all again
- Taking the girls to and from school

It surprised me how much I missed all this, but I was away for three nights. To be honest, everything seemed far too easy and I was lonely!

Nx

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Nina

I know a bit how you feel. I'm not at home and have been away for approx 2 months.
    I'm missing everything. I miss my hubby, no cuddles no laughing t
    togeather.

I'm missing my home all of it and everything :(

trish xx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    awww trish huggys hun xxx

my bed!! :lol:

Ditto, ditto - heaps of hugs, Trish.....

MY BED...........great minds think alike, Jan :!:
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Nina

Sometimes you have to go away to fully appreciate what you have got. I guess it was hard for you being away from your family.

If I go away I miss;

My cat, Tommy. He hates going in the cattery, so I worry about him.

Definitely my bed

My friend across the road. She is 86, and my best friend in the world.

My normal life. I've got lots going on in my life,and I try to enjoy it all.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joanlawson
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Nina

I know a bit how you feel. I'm not at home and have been away for approx 2 months.
    I'm missing everything. I miss my hubby, no cuddles no laughing t
    togeather.

I'm missing my home all of it and everything :(

trish xx

Hi Trisher

2 months is such a long time for you to be away from home and your hubby.I do hope it won't be too much longer now before you are back home together.

Love from Joan
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    As well as my own bed I miss my own toilet :shock:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Nina,

Apart from the obvious of the employers I miss Cornwall as soon as I cross the border. She calls all the time I am away from her and I very rarely g anywhere now a days.

It must have been hard for you to be away and welcome home and hope you wont have to go again. Cris x
  • ninakang
    Options
    Oh Trish,

I had no idea, I'm sorry you're missing home. Hope you're back soon

Nx

PS - Rehab, there wasn't time to come and see you, but hopefully next time I'm in Brum, promise XX
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Nina

Sometimes you have to go away to fully appreciate what you have got. I guess it was hard for you being away from your family.

If I go away I miss;

My cat, Tommy. He hates going in the cattery, so I worry about him.

Definitely my bed

My friend across the road. She is 86, and my best friend in the world.

I miss my dog and also my bed!!
    My normal life. I've got lots going on in my life,and I try to enjoy it all.

Joan
  • joanlawson
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Nina,

Apart from the obvious of the employers I miss Cornwall as soon as I cross the border. She calls all the time I am away from her and I very rarely g anywhere now a days.

It must have been hard for you to be away and welcome home and hope you wont have to go again. Cris x

Hi Cris

I used to share a flat in London with friend who came from Cornwall. She missed it enormously, and would have to go back quite regularly. She couldn't afford the train fare, so used to hitch-hike, which was risky for a young woman on her own. She always thought it was worth it just to get back to Cornwall for a while.

Joan
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Big Hugs to you Trish (((())))

I have never really been 'away' from home as i'm such a homely person and i have pets which i would never have borded unless it was an absolute emergency. I have nothing against them, i just think i wanted the animals so it's unfair of me to send them away just so i can go on holiday.
    But even being at families for the day i miss:

my dog and rabbits
    my sofa
    my tv (don't you find everyone else's sounds different?)
    having my crochet to hand
    drinking tea out my own mug
    And the biggest thing..........not having access to you guys!

If you're wondering why i don't miss hubby, that's because we go everywhere together but if ever i had to be away from him i would miss him so much.

Carol X
  • ninakang
    Options
    Carol

How lovely that you'd miss us - I forgot that off my list. Quite often during the week, I wished the Wifi on my work laptop was working so I could log on and catch up.

You go everywhere with your husband? How sweet. If me and my hubby spent that much time together, I'm sure we'd have been divorced years ago :-)

Nx
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    Carol

How lovely that you'd miss us - I forgot that off my list. Quite often during the week, I wished the Wifi on my work laptop was working so I could log on and catch up.

You go everywhere with your husband? How sweet. If me and my hubby spent that much time together, I'm sure we'd have been divorced years ago :-)

Nx

Yes N, we honestly do spend all our time together. We even work together on the same shift, although opposite sides of the factory but can still see each other. The only time we are not together is when arthur joins me and i have to have time off work. We have been like that the full 7yrs we've been together and would find it very hard to all of a sudden be seperated. Don't know if you find that yucky or sweet but i feel lost when he isn't around. We do have the odd niggle with each other............of course we do, but many work colleagues find it amazing that we are married and actually want to spend time together.

Carol X
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Nina

I have taken you guys with me here. I don't know what I would have done without all of you, you've kept me sane. Plus I have had a laugh on here.

I do miss my own bath though as well as the toilet. Having all my clothes as well.

Trisher xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    I miss my home......

I gave up my own home earlier this year to move in with my dad when he became terminally ill. Seemed the best thing to do.... he had cancer and wanted home from the hospice....... the docs said his condition had 'stabilised 'and predicted he would hopefully have 8months..year to live. They would not let him go home without someone 24hrs as he was at risk of falling..

I had just had my wrist fusion, lived 45miles away from him and wasn't able to drive. So I gave up my home....
    social services were brilliant and provided a huge package of care- I cannot fault them...could not have managed without them.

Dad died 6wks later....... but these were really special weeks and I don't regret the decision for a moment....

I miss him and mum who died last year.

hope you don't mind me sharing this with you... it's been so hard.
    Iris x

Hi Iris,

I'm glad you've shared it with us and what a huge sacrifice you made - but I'm really glad it was worth it - I assume you had some very special moments with your Dad and you'll always have those memories. What a very unselfish act. :)

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'