weather & flare ups

Options
dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
edited 22. Nov 2009, 16:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
Noticed on the forum that lots of folks are having quite bad flare ups just now...is it the weather? or what...

the docs say that there is no scientific proof that weather has any effect on arther/ flare ups but I'm not so sure. I can usually tell when weather is changing for the worse as my arther tells me!! have often thought it might be the change in air pressure that causes it but ....

what do you think?

would be interesting to see how many of us on the forum believe that weather is significant?

Irisx

Comments

• carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    edited 21. Nov 2009, 02:05
    Options
    I'm still new to the arther geezer but i had a bad flare up about 6weeks ago and although it has relented somewhat, it won't disappear like it normally does. I have looked in the internet about arthur and the weather and they say there is no proof that arther like to come out to play in the bad weather.
    Carol X
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Cold weather definately effects me. Got to keep my feet warm because when they get cold I loose feeling in toes and ithen the raynauds makes an appearance in the way of purple lumps/blisters on my toes.
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    I've lived in Indonesia, Houston and Dubai - arthritis free.

Now back in Aberdeenshire - suffering!

I do think the weather affects quite a lot of sufferers, not all....but a lot!
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Yes, l've had quite a bit more pain than usual, my oa in the neck/shoulder area has been awful and my left had is tingling all the time, I think the nerve in my neck is causing that!

Anyone think it might bea good idea to emigrate to somewhere nice and warm?
    Love Sue
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I thought it did but the other day me knees were great but me jaw and thumbs were really painful so I just take every day as it comes.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I'm definitely fed up with the weather, I haven't been myself for over a month now.
    I do find the cold is my worst enemy and I suffer in extreme heat, but one thing I have noticed is that while it's been very, very mild for the time of the year, the humidity levels have been high. I'm beginning to think that also affects me.
    Anyone else noticed this?

Annie
  • maud48
    maud48 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    I agree. I live in Wales by the sea; the wind is howling round my house and I'm inside feeling like howling as arthur has been much worse since this weather started.
    Think we should all get a prescription for 6 months in the sun :lol:
    maud
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Iris,

I think the weather is relevant but its never been proved has it? My knees ache just before it rains and the back and neck kick off big time in this kind of weather but there are other factors I guess. Walking in mud and surface water, soon to be a lake, is harder and cus your walking into winds that want you to either hurry up or walk backwards you are slightly bent over and maybe thats why mine are raving? I got oa in the knees and back and pa and oa in my neck, the wrists are pure pa and they are far more painful in the cold and wet. I sometimes wonder if its to do with my mind set? I hate this type of weather and maybe that makes me more receptive to the pain? Take care Cris
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, my RA is much worse at this time of year, loads of aches and pain, also I have to keep my feet warm because of Raynuards, I wear 2 pairs of socks day and night love Jaspercatxx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi
    The cold damp weather affects me. I have to ensure I'm warm - mind you going through the menopause at the moment so I have periods of being too hot. I hate the hot flushes/sweats and I hope to goodness they end soon! I'm always taking something off and going in the back garden to cool off. I have to dress in layers - all cotton or linen close to the skin.

Sharmaine
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi, my RA is much worse at this time of year, loads of aches and pain, also I have to keep my feet warm because of Raynuards, I wear 2 pairs of socks day and night love Jaspercatxx

Hey jaspercat!
    hope you remember to change them socks! ':roll:'
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I definately feel worse in the colder weather both with my OA and PA. It's as if it goes right into the centre of your being if you know what I mean. In particular my hands and knees are so much stiffer. I too have read that there is no scientific evidence to back this up but I do know how I feel. I felt the same way last winter although I did'nt have my PA diagnosis then.
    rita
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    Hiya,

I have had arthur for a whole year now. This is my second winter and i can tell you regardless of what my rhmer says my RA flares ups are absolutly terrible in winter, i get terrible flare ups, at the moment my feet are terrible and my joints are extreamly hot and its just so painful. Were as in summer its much more bearable in my honest opinion.