Magnitic bracelets?

Options
carol101
carol101 Member Posts: 584
edited 2. Dec 2009, 12:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
My cousin, who does not have arthur, has suggested wearing a magnetic bracelet. I have looked on the internet and it seems they can help with arthur pain. She has suggested these ones http://www.trionz.co.uk/ since they are fabric and can be washed, also they come in a wide range of colours. These are aimed at golfers, of which her hubby is one, and he wears one and says although the first couple of days it made him feel 'weird', it has helped him a lot.
What's your views?
Carol X

Comments

• carol101
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    According to researchers at the University of York they have no effect apart from placebo. LINK

This one seems to say different http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4101045.stm why can't people just give us the FACTS?

Carol X
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have to be careful about the metals I use against my skin, but its the sort of thing if you want to try it, I can see no harm, its not like taking a drug or suppliment that hasn't been tested. It may work, I wouldn't, I confess really expect it to work miricles, but the Health Shop in the town here have some pretty ones, that even if they don't stop the arther, you may end up with a pretty braclet to wear! :)
  • carol101
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, I have to be careful about the metals I use against my skin, but its the sort of thing if you want to try it, I can see no harm, its not like taking a drug or suppliment that hasn't been tested. It may work, I wouldn't, I confess really expect it to work miricles, but the Health Shop in the town here have some pretty ones, that even if they don't stop the arther, you may end up with a pretty braclet to wear! :)

I wouldn't expect a miracle cure but if it ment i could take 1 less pain killer a day i'd be happy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello again, I've just had a quick look at some of them and they are in all sorts of designs, I might just use it as an excuse! They even have colours for dogs! Yes, much better that diet suppliments. :wink: Love Sue
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Carol

I spent £28 on a magnetic bracelet from Boots and wore it for six months - it didn't work. At the same time I invested in a magnetic mattress topper again that didn't help - I gave it a fair trial and used it for a year.

I invested in a memory foam mattress topper and found this to suit me as it cushions my joints and helps me to sleep better. It has been worth the investment.

A friend of mine swears by her feather and down mattress topper as its like sleeping on a cloud.

Sharmaine
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I've been wearing one for years off and on, don't think it does any good whatsoever but it is a really pretty bracelet!
    It was an expensive one, too - was bought for me as a birthday present.

Annie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Carol,

Its something that does seem to help somethings. I have worn one for years, its one beginning with a B and who knows if it has helped? I don't know how this equates to humans but my vets say that the alternative/herbal/magnetic things only help with early stage. Once an animal hits mid stage you have to move on to prescription drugs but I put my magnet on a sheep and she did seem to pick up for a while, my old dog really did seem to get some benefit, both wore human strength and I am wondering about putting one round my neck purely cus thats where theirs were :lol:

Its a personal choice thing but there really is no evidence to back it up in a medical sense. As Sue points out you do have to watch the metal, copper with magnets in doesn't fair well getting wet either..... :wink: Luv Cris who is wondering how to get the big magnet out of the tv :lol: x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I've been doing something very hard.........I've been thinking (gulp)................and I have realised that my favourite pain-relief gadget works on electro-magnetic waves.
    It's my favourite gadget out of all those I've tried, sometimes it's been the only thing which has given me any relief at all when my neck and head have been bad. I've had it 2/3 years now.
    ................think I'll have a rummage and find that bracelet again, haven't worn it for some time.
    How's your big magnet going, Cris? Did you find someone to tie it on without you going blue?

Annie
  • carol101
    Options
    We recently bought a new bed.........Ok, let me start from the begining. I sometimes play online bingo, and back in the summer i won the jackpot of just under £6000! (just had to get that in)

We took the whole family out for dinner, paid of some debts, bought ourselves a new bed and put the rest in savings.

Probably sounds silly that i was gambeling when we had debts but i only very occasionally put £10 on, it wasn't gambelling debts, just general things that had built up. Anyway, this one Saturday i put on £10 and with my last £2 walked away with the jackpot and i've been sensible enough not to play bingo since. I've won big once, i'm sure it wouldn't happen again.

Anyway, back to the bed. The matress has a 'built in' memory foam matress topper and although i do get a good night's sleep, i always seem to wake up with back ache.

Now this may sound strange, but my friend gave me a Schol vibrating foot massager that she bought but never used. Although it's a bit cumbersom, for some strange reason i decided to try it behind my back when sitting on the sofa and............heaven! It's no cure by any means but i find it certainly helps my back relax making me feel more comfortable.

Carol X
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I do have a magnetic bracelet that I have had for about a year, I wear it every day, I can't say that it helps though, but I now wear it anyway, I wish someone would say whether they work or not love Jaspercatxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Bumped up for Alan. :)

E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I must fish out my magnet baracelets after reading this.....
    I doubt that they really work but they do no harm and are quite pretty......I'd forgotten about it and not even sure where it is now LOL

Hileena