Annoying Christmas presents

Options
annie_mial
annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
edited 22. Nov 2009, 18:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
Following on from the stupid Christmas presents thread, how about those that make you want to scream...........
I think my best one was the year my MIL bought me an ironing board (which I didn't need) but 'forgot' I had been asking for a decent hairbrush (which I did need).

I also get the usual smellies given to me every year..........regardless of the fact that every year I remind them all that I can't use them...........at least the Charity shops benefit!

Annie

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Someone once gave me a frying pan, and I was tempted to hit them over the head with it :!:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I was often tempted to hit my MIL over the head with anything handy, Joan.

Annie
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi

Someone once gave me a frying pan, and I was tempted to hit them over the head with it :!:

Joan

One year for my birthday which is in November, hubby asked what i wanted. I normally go shopping with him to get something or have to give him a 'list' of things i would like as he can never think of anything. The particular year i said 'surprise me but if you buy me a frying pan i'll hit you with it'.

Anyway, the day before my birthday my Aunt & Uncle came over to visit. Just before they arrived me and hubby were doing the washing up. He was drying up the frying pan and the handle feel off! We ended up having to go out and buy one anyway! It was so funny :lol:
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Well, my OH has had his Xmas present. A new vacuum cleaner.
    joy
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    We tend to get xmas presents just for the kids but my hubby has surprised me with beautiful jewellry in the past - not every year though. He seems to think I won't like anything he gets me although whatever he has bought me has always been very thoughtful and wanted.

I've had the usual smellies even though I have ezcema and prefer Simple products. I've also been bought strange films and music that I've never even heard of.

The best year was when my eldest suggested to my mum that she got me a mouse mat for xmas. On xmas day, she gave me money, saying "Nina, I'm so sorry, I went to all the pet shops I could think of and couldn't get them to understand what I was saying". Bless her :-)

Nx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Every one who knows me, know I'm allergic to lanolin. The only makes that I can use is Marks and Sparks bubble bath with moisturiser.

The other is Body Shop. Where do mine come from? Avon and all other makes but what I ask for or they know.

My DIL even when she first started to become "serious" with my son, has always bought me presents from the two places that I can use and has continued to do so.

Why can't the rest of my family learn their gifts will end up at charity shops. I always tell them to club together. They spend more on sending it in the post as they live far away. I don't ask for expensive gifts and never would.

trish xx
  • trisher
    Options
    Nina

At least she tried to get it for you even if she did not understand. Bless her.

trish x
  • trisher
    Options
    Annie

My Mil used to give me knitted jumpers she made. They never did fit.

When, I had my first son, he was 5 days old she had knitted this out fit for him, We opened it, we unwrapped it, the chest was miles too small, the legs, we would have had to wait until he was 5 years old before they would have fitted him!!!

My hubby and I burst out laughing when we saw it, we got the giggles, we did not mean to, she was not there, we nearly wet ourselves. He weighed 7 and a half pounds when he was born.

Everyone on the ward wanted to know what was so funny. She sent a note say , she got carried away, if it needed changing she would undo it.

I did not have the heart to say anything to her. I just thanked her.
    She did try, that was the improtant to me.

trish xx
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    An ex of mine who was notoriously tight appeared on Christmas Eve with a santa sack of presents, here are a few of the things he had carefully wrapped:

A funnel (plastic)
    A jar of pickles (I do like them but a present)
    A jar of beetroot (as above)
    Supermarkets own brand brandy snaps (hate brandy snaps)
    Supermarkets own brand mint sticks (why not matchmakers?)

For my birthday I got a plastic fly swat???

To be nice I bought his parents a tin biscuits (nice ones) as i was going over to visit over the festive period. They told me that I shouldn't have bothered as they wouldn't be buying me anything. I was brought up that it was giving not receiving and if you were going to visit you shouldn't go empty handed.

Anne
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Oh Anne

No wonder he is an ex :!: :!: You had a lucky escape :!: :lol:

Joan
  • carol101
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Oh Anne

No wonder he is an ex :!: :!: You had a lucky escape :!: :lol:

Joan

I was rather nasty to one of my ex boyfriends when i was 20. For my birthday he had bought me a ring (not engagement). We split up soon after but i had great pleasure in sending him a christmas present..............he got the ring back! :oops:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Carol

Rule number 1

Never return the gifts, especially rings :!: Keep them to look back on and smile :!: :D

Joan
  • carol101
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Carol

Rule number 1

Never return the gifts, especially rings :!: Keep them to look back on and smile :!: :D

Joan

I wish i'd kept it and sold it! :lol: i'm older and wiser now :lol:
  • annebr
    Options
    I agree Joan, never return jewellery. You can always sell it or pawn it if needed.

Must admit he was so tight it was frightening. His parents were very rich but very mean (that's why they were minted) and he took after them.

Anne
  • trisher
    Options
    Anne

I have not seen you for ages. Are you ok?????

love Trish xxxx
  • annebr
    Options
    Hi Trisher,

Not bad, this damp weather is making me quite achy, should be doing my physio twice a day but can't face it.

We have been decorating (the royal we) OH has made a really good job, just finished our bedroom. Living room left but it's too much for him on his own at weekends and after work so we are getting a man in after Christmas to do it.

Off to Brussels for the Christmas market in 3 weeks time, looking forward to it. know it will be hard going but as long as I pace myself and take the painkillers should be ok.

How are you? How is your hubby?

Anne xx
  • annebr
    Options
    I went a couple of years ago with my friend and it was lovely. They have a beautiful old square which is done up, beautiful tree and a nativity with real sheep. There are loads of lovely bits and bobs to buy from the stalls.

It was the first place that my OH and I went together so should be romantic going back again. We managed to get a brilliant deal on the 5 star Plaza hotel which is lovely.

And finally the chocolate! There is a beautiful chocolatier and the dark choc is out of this world, so will have to stock up for the hols.

Anne
  • trisher
    Options
    Joan

What do you make of this Thread that Legs has put out. Do you think we leave people out?

I cannot see what we are different, to what it used to be? Are we being rude and sarcastic to people. We had the cruise, were people allowed to join in??

Have you seen what Elna's written? What are we doing so wrong? Why post it today why not in the week when everyone is on.

trish xx
  • annebr
    Options
    Jan,

Taking hand luggage only on way out, so if you can fit? Taking a fold-up holdall for the way back just in case I do a bit of shopping. Who am I kidding, just in case...

Anne