blue badge bit of a rant

Options
madness1985
madness1985 Member Posts: 293
edited 22. Nov 2009, 13:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey,

I got my blue badge last week hurray what a difference it makes! Anyway as you no im a young RA patient and i successfully won my fight with DLA anyway i got my blue badge and ive used it a few times when ive gone food shopping ..

ive been getting some really horrible looks/comments made e.g why are you using the space and the amount of older people who have given dirty luks has upset me. Yestuday my partner parked in car park at morrisons in the last remaining disabled space and this women in her 50s shook her head at me and then went "why the hell is she using that space" i had tears in my ears. I now dont want to use my badge because i feel like im going to get horrible looks/words said to me :(

xx

p.s get my car on thursday im really excited apart from the now none wanting to use my badge

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

You will get this sometimes sorry to say, don't let them put you off using it you need it. Just say your having a good day and you don't get many that's why you are shopping but if they want to help maybe you'll have another good day tomorrow. Or ask if you should wear a sign round your neck, whatever you do don't give in.

Love
    Vonski x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi there!

You use your blue badge as and when you wish to do so. It has been given to you. Unfortunately you will get looks and comments, many people do, who use them, but if possible have a few retorts ready and if you get the look give a suitable look back and show them up with a few words of truth.

You are never going to see these people again so hold your head up high, you are doing nothing wrong whatever they may think.

Enjoy your new freedom in your car and use your blue badge. :)

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi,it does take some getting used too.
    Im 42yrs & sometimes i get this.Im used to it now & just ignore the looks.Ive not heard any comments but its quite visable with me as i use crutches when im out.

you enjoy your new freedom & ignore the ignorant s.ds.
    luv debs
  • madness1985
    Options
    Thank you all, It just upsets me. The lady at the worcestershire hub said to me if uve got DLA mobility we no you deserve it because they dont give it out easily!
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    ditto ':shock:' ignore them all!!!! Iris x
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    I agree ignore them.

I have had the same problem looks and stares once a traffic warden tapped on the window, he told me I was in a disabled bay, i said I know, he said you need a blue badge, mine was on display. Then he said 'what exactly is wrong with you?' told him it was none of his business.

Enjoy you new car.

Anne
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Delboy,
    I was about to reply to Anne's post in shock horror ':shock:' at the attitude of that ignorant traffic warden ...........until I read yours!!!

You made me laugh out loud ':lol:'':lol:'... that's definitely the way to do it!!! am going to remember that one.':wink:' Iris x
  • tillytot41
    tillytot41 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    I cant believe what some people are like,its so wrong!!! If you have a blue badge there is a reason for it!!!I dont have one yet but when i pick up my son from school i park right by the school gate but sort of out of the way but you have to walk miles to get to his school and i just cant at the mo,everyone else can bog off,you wait til i get my blue badge!!
    You need it hun so use it and just hold your head up in defiance and dare anyone to say anything!!
    Ali (off my soap box now)
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Great news about getting your car - how exciting!! Which one are you getting?

Try not to get too upset about silly people's comments I know its really difficult. I've used a blue badge since I was 18yrs old and have had lots of comments and glares from various people.
    The best one was from the security guard at the hospital he said that I didn't look disabled (it didn't help that I was feeling absolutely awful and was struggling to think straight let along anything else). I reported him and asked that he had more training not to be a complete ****.

Use your badge when you need to and **** the rest of the world.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Absolutely agree with everyone.I have never had a negative comment but sometimes find myself looking at people parking in disabled bay and thinking they look well but then remember that they prob have some underlying condition,heart,cancer etc.But some of them do seem to be walking normally and upright.Anyway if anyone did say something I would tell them I have R.A and find it difficult to walk even a little way without pain.I would tell them everything,bore them to death with all the gruesome details.
    I am never satisfied until I have made my point!
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I have learned to just ignore them, though I must admit that people do wind me up, I just tell myself that they are being silly, good luck with your car love Jaspercatxx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

Don't be upset about other people. I never look at them! I have enough trouble getting in and out of the car. I use mine all the time. I get cross when I see people who park in disabled spaces and have no right too - just because they're only popping into the shop for a loaf of bread. They can't be disabled because they never put their blue badge on view and are just taking the mickey out of the system.

Use your blue badge - you are entitled to it and your GP would not have signed the forms if she thought you didn't need it! I'm sorry to hear that someone was so rude as to make such a comment.

Let them make their little remarks and hold your head up high!

Regards
    Sharmaine
    X
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    You deserve that blue badge, you were given it and you shouldn't be made to feel bad.
    Hold your head high and be grateful that you're not an ignorant so-and-so! :wink:
  • madness1985
    Options
    Hiya,

Thank you for all your messages. I know your right and i surpose in time i will in turn just ignore them. My oh said next time they r gunna get out and say somthing like your lucky you can walk without pain!!

Anyway im just going to try and get use to it, ;ike everyone has said it i wouldn't have got the blue badge if i hadnt needed it, i wudnt have got mobility from dla and my gp dont just agree to anything he wants me to be "independant" again

xx