sticks/wheelchairs

Options
madness1985
madness1985 Member Posts: 293
edited 22. Nov 2009, 11:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya,

Im sorry im posting a bit tonight got a lot on my mind as you can see. The question is, im trying to rebuilt my life, ive been given the go ahead to restart my LLB via distance learning.

Anyway when ive been out food shopping my feet have got alot worse as i now have to literally hang on to my partner for dear life cuz other wise i will just fall on my face because of the pain and the way my feet r so odd, i have a huge lump on my right foot on the heel which makes shoes really hard to handle and i dnt no how to walk because the pressure on my feet hurt if i try n put weight on back it hurts on front it hurts it just so hard.

Anyway i have now decided i definatly need a permante aid so maybe i can go sumwere without my partner. Anyway i have tried a walking stick but i found it hard because my hands r constatly swollen and deformed and if i have a stick it really hurts my wrists and they start to swell to .. is there anything like a stick anyone could suggest?

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a wheelchair for bad day has anyone got any experience of one? I have pre-orded a hire w/c for friday as my partner brought us good food show tickets at the NEC b'ham because i love going and my partner is abit of a foodie! I know i cudnt walk around it happily or safly so ive choosen to hire a w/c from them directly.

So what would people suggest as the most appopriate thing to buy? a wheelchair or stick or similour?

Thank you xx

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi madness,

First of all congrats on the LLB news ':D'

...Really difficult to give advice about aids as there is a balance to be struck between using aids that will support and enhance your current level of phys. ability / function or through wrong choice result in reducing it..

When did you last have an OT & physio assessment? would it be worth asking for their advice on this?

sorry not much help on this. Iris x :(')
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I was actually thinking the same as Dorcas. It would be worth getting an assessment from your OT as they could perhaps provide you with aids. Physio gave me a zimmer frame with wheels when I broke my ankle as I could'nt manage the crutches. Worth a try.
    Good luck
    rita
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    Hey,

I hadnt though of ringing the O/T shes lovely but just said ring me if you need anything with no follow up appointments. Im still waiting for a physio appointment .. it was said to be urgent from my rhmy that was in october and ive still not heard anything. I shall give her a ring on Monday and see if she can suggest anything.

Thanks again x
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi,i got my crutches from local mobility shop.
    They have special shaped handles for arthritic hands,more rounded than the grips on the hospital shape.
    They set them up for me too.cost £39.99 but thats what my DLA is for.
    Also have to wear my splints whilst im using them.
    If you need splints etc ask your gp to refer you,i was seen with in 2 wks.
    I find my crutches take the strain off my knees & the splints the strain of my hands using them.
    If you have problems with your feet perhaps a referal to a pod??dont know the precise wording but im sure some1 knows.Again a referal from your gp.
    Hope thats some help to you.
    debs
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Hiya
    I bought a wheelchair last year and its been fantastic. I tried getting referred to my local wheelchair service but I was advised that it could take 9months. We worked out the cost of hiring one versus buying one outright and decided to buy one.
    We got it from a local mobility shop. It has detachable wheels to make it easy to get in the boot of the car. Its also fairly light. Its a self propelled wheelchair but my hands are too bad to propell myself. My hubbie has a great time pushing me as he tries to do jumps and to make the wheels screech as you go round corners.

In the supermarket he also pretends not to know me then laughs and points when I can't reach stuff. Its brill to see the shocked expressions on peoples faces (gets them back for making stupid comments about blue badge!!).
    Have fun with it! It certainly makes me feel better if we have a giggle!!
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hey Jenzie,
    what a wicked sense of humour you and your hubby have ':lol:'
    good on you! iris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 22. Nov 2009, 10:41
    Options
    Hi, Thats really great, it must make boring food shopping a quite a bit of fun! :lol: Having such a positive attitude must also be good for your health! My niece is over the moon, she hasn't got arthur, its a neuro disease, but the OTs have just got her an electric wheel chair, she loves it and is purple which is fashionable! I told her to be careful, she says shes fine but the walls and paintwork have suffered a bit! :lol: Anyway, good for you, love Sue
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I do have a stick with a rounded grip, I can manage around the house with this, outdoors I tend to hang on to Malcolm for short walks or use my wheelchair when I want to go further, if I want to go into town I can hire a wheelchair love Jaspercatxx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

I have been using a walking stick for the past year but it has started to make my right shoulder/arm really ache. I also found that my feet and ankles throbbed. In the end I bit the bullet and bought some elbow crutches. It means that my weight is more balanced and I can get about a lot easier when I'm out. I still use the walking stick to get about indoors. I have OA in both knees and if I'm having a bad day and we nip out to the DIY store my hubby pushes me in the wheelchair provided by the store.
    Flat surfaces make my joints swell and it can be painful and uncomfortable when out shopping. I managed quite well using the elbow crutches around the supermarked this week. However, if you have very painful hands you may be better suited to a wheelchair.

I'm sure someone on the forum will come up with some good advice.