Alternative medicine

Options
tillytot41
tillytot41 Member Posts: 48
edited 25. Nov 2009, 04:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Have any of you tried any alternative medicine and have you found it helpful?How about omega 3 are any of you taking that?What about homeopathy?
As im at the start of my arthur journey what would any of you suggest might be helpful.I will do anything to get myself out of this terrible pain.
Ali xx

Comments

• wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Ali,

Like you, I'm keen to find something more natural to help with the pain...even if it means I can just take one less painkiller!

Tried acupuncture - didn't like it and costly.
    Tried reflexology - was free (friend practices it) but didn't help and now that arthur is in my feet I can't do that any more.
    Homeopathy - ongoing. Although I think there are better homeopaths out there than the one I've seen so will shop around!

Am taking fish oils and rosehip capsules - am feeling a bit better than I was but not sure if that's down to any of the above or not?!

Lois x
  • twinney
    twinney Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Hello There.
    Like you I am always looking for alternative remedies to take. For the last couple of months I have been taking Rosehip Capsules along with Tumeric Capsules aswell as Ginger Tablets. I have found that these have helped me . I also use the Tumeric and Ginger in my cooking.

I take Cod Liver Oil Capsules. too
    I have spoken to my Orthopaedic Consultant about taking these tablets , he told me to continue taking them.
    I have O/A in both my hips, spine and neck.
    Regards
    Lynda
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    I take evening primrose oil... have done for a long time..but don't know if it's really done me any good.':|'

It's hard to tell with alternatives cause if you stop and get a flare up you put it down to that...when it might just be arther being unpredictable and acting up..':?'

Had acupuncture last year for pain in my back and hip...it did work! got relief for a long time ':)'.... good luck with your search and let us know if you find anything that's effective Iris x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Ha ha delboy!! ':lol:'':lol:'':lol:'

you're going to lead everyone astray; anyway G&T much more effective ':wink:'
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I've tried Glucosamine and the one begining with C, sorry can't remeber the proper name. After using them for six months or so I ran out and it made no difference, I'm afraid, I did get some more to give it another try, but gave up. Glucosmine seems to work for some people, but not for others. Love Sue
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    The pain clinic at the hosptital does that, and when they have a place I'm on list for accupucture. Not sure that I would believe in it fully but, if it cut down the pain for a little while that would be fine.

I am very much more careful when it comes to drugs as that is putting a new chemical into the system. I would need to be convinced. I suppose it also depends on what type of drug. Some are just versions older drugs used for differant probs but a compleatly new drug, I would need convincing abouta
    Love Sue
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I have had regular acupuncture since springtime this year. I think it helps a lot for some pain some of the time. I got it from the physio at the hospital.
    I also have a TENS machine which I bought on their recommendation, it can do either pulses or continuous and helps sometimes especially for my neck. As an alternative or used along with pain killers I would certainly say it's worth a try.
    Apart from that then the usual heat and cold therapy depending on where and what type of pain I have. I have to say 'tho, I use all these things as well as patches and tablets for pain not instead of them.
    rita
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Ali
    You could try Glucosamine & Chondroitin. I know you can get a script from your gp for Gluco but not sure if you can for Gluco and Chondroitin. Some peeps think cider vinegar is a miracle cure. :wink:

We are all different so have to try these things for ourselves. What may help someone else may not help you at all.

Acupuncture, massage, reflexology - all can help but may be not for long but are very pleasant alternatives!!

I find laughter very beneficial and totally free. :lol::lol:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • autumnlady
    autumnlady Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Try hempseed oil.

Works well for me, available widely in health food shops and some supermarkets