Update on Jacqui

Options
joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
edited 23. Nov 2009, 15:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well, I have just had a lovely two hours. DiL has managed to come over to see us.
She is still trying to fight MRSA and her blood tests are all over the place. She is having antibiotics 10 days worth at a time over and over again but I think they will keep her in hospital this next week
For those of you who don't know the story. 4 years ago, she was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins disease. She did not respond to chemo or radiotherapy and eventually her sister had to come over from New Zealand to donate bone marrow. Well the cancer has gone, but Jacqui's immune system is such that she is picking up numerous infections, which she is unable to fight. If the Drs try to improve her immune system, then her body will reject the bone marrow. She has to go to Rotherham hospital to have Photopheresis, or something like that. Not very good at spelling. She is in extreme pain the whole time and is suppose to be in quarrantine indefinitely it seems. Just hope she hasn't picked anything up by coming out to see us.
We are keeping Christmas Day completely free so that we shall go to them if she is poorly and if, with lots of luck, she is fit to come here for a few hours then we'll have Christmas Dinner here.

It will be lovely. We shall then see my son the next day. It's so difficult trying to sort out who goes where on the day. There is also the problem of how fit we shall be on the day. Probably end up with a flare up. Gosh, it's getting closer isn't it? So much to do.

Joy

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My sympathy to her and to you all, Joy. I hope you all manage to have a good Christmas.

Annie
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Joy

Sorry about DIL, If the bone marrow works will she eventually get any better?
    That MRSA is very difficult to get rid of.

If she does come to your home, can you make her comfy, so that she is still with all of you downstairs? She could then have a little nap.

It is horrible having to watch and not be able to do much to help her.May be she will feel a little better, fingers crossed for her.

luv Trisher xx
  • joyful164
    Options
    It is so kind of you and your offer of help Pixy.
    Between us all, we manage to get Jacquie to all her appointments. As she was sitting here, she said. I am getting better. I shall get better. This is a far cry from the last time when she just wanted it all to end. She is in a lot of pain and now, of course, the drugs have damaged her joints and bones. She is having a scan soon to see how bad it is. Then, of course, she will be having to take more drugs for that, similar to ours.
    I'm looking forward to Christmas now, and shall make it the best one she has ever had.
    Again, thanks for your messages. I know you all struggle along yourselves and life is not a peach. This is how I view life really, there are so many people who are suffering more than me. If I can make a difference to their lives then I'm happy.

Joy
  • joyful164
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Joy

Sorry about DIL, If the bone marrow works will she eventually get any better?
    That MRSA is very difficult to get rid of.
    If she does come to your home, can you make her comfy, so that she is still with all of you downstairs? She could then have a little nap.
    It is horrible having to watch and not be able to do much to help her.May be she will feel a little better, fingers crossed for her.

luv Trisher xx

Thanks Trisher. You more than anyone know what the score is.
    I have a feeling that this is as well as she will ever get.
    I don't think she will be back all bright eyed and bushy tail sort of thing. You know what I mean.
    Me and my OH will take Christmas to them both Her mother will be with us too. She is in self denial about it all and won't believe it is happening. Having lost her husband to cancer 2 years ago it is hard for her to accept that she is going to lose her daughter aswell.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joy,

I am glad that she is feeling a bit better and stronger and really hope it will improve for you all. I wish I could say something to help but just popped in to leave you a ((( ))) Cris x
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    Options
    Hi Joy

I wish I had a magic wand or gods ear, so I could make every one better.
    best wishes Hun to you and your friend.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Joy

Yes unfortunately I do know what it is.

The only one rule I have is God does make miracles happen not always God, some have it in them.

I'm sure we will all think of her at Christmas and hope she can enjoy her Christmas.

love Trisher
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Dear Joy

I hope you all have a wonderful christmas.It will be lovely for you all to be together,aches and pains and sickness and all but you will be together and that is what matters.
    Take care
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joyful164
    Options
    Thanks all again.
    There's not a lot more anyone can say.
    Every time I hear that she is back in hospital fighting yet another infection, I think, is this it?
    Then, I hear that she has discharged herself again. She does this, saying she wants to deal with it in her own home. She must be really scared
    She says she doesn't like the noises in the hospital, yet the section she is in doesn't resemble anything like a normal hospital. They are like a self contained unit where Richard can come and prepare a meal for her. The only thing hospitally is the drips and things.
    She realises that she will be admitted on Wednesday though to start another infusion of antibiotics.
    Anyway, thanks everyone.
    joy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Hi Joy
    I think it is lovely that you are planning a christmas after the year you have all had.
    I continue to think of Jacqui and hope that all goes well fior you all so thanks for the update.
    Love
    Toni xx
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Joy

Hope you have a good Christmas, I'm sure all your hard work will be appreciated and I know you will make Jacqui as comfortable as possible. Sounds like she's more ready to put up a fight and that's good. Hard but try not to worry too much.

Love
    Vonski x
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Joy

My sister- in-law had Non- Hodgkins, so I know what it is like. She battled with it for 6 years, and eventually, she told the doctors that she didn't want any more treatment. She had just had enough. She spent the last weeks of her life feeling happier than she had for years, and she had a very peaceful death.

Jacqui is younger than my sister- in- law though, and I hope she will keep fighting. I know Rotherham hospital well. I was born in Rotherham, and went to school right next to the hospital. My great aunt was in there not long ago, and it is a good place where I'm sure Jacqui will receive the best care possible.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joyful164
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Joy

My sister- in-law had Non- Hodgkins, so I know what it is like. She battled with it for 6 years, and eventually, she told the doctors that she didn't want any more treatment. She had just had enough. She spent the last weeks of her life feeling happier than she had for years, and she had a very peaceful death.

Jacqui is younger than my sister- in- law though, and I hope she will keep fighting. I know Rotherham hospital well. I was born in Rotherham, and went to school right next to the hospital. My great aunt was in there not long ago, and it is a good place where I'm sure Jacqui will receive the best care possible.

Joan
    Thanks Joan. I know the Rotherham lot are encouraging Jacquie to perservere. But we know her life will never go back to the way it was. thanks for your kind message. I am passing all these on to her she will get some strength from them
    Joy