How long will this flare up last?

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 23. Nov 2009, 08:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am currently having a really bad flare up. I tstarted to come on last monday and on thursday and friday it was at its worst ever, and when i say ever I mean like with a vengeance. My Dr upped my steroids and my rheumy is going to see me tuesday I am just into my 4th week of Sulphasalazine so not sure if that may have something to do with it. When i went to my gp she took my temp and it was also high so knew it was a bad one. The only thing is it doesnt seem to be going. It isnt as bad as it was but it is still here and doesnt want to go!!!
Today I have been breaking into sweat like flushes (only 29 so not the menopause jsut yet!!). Then occassional burst of back spasms and the odd pain down the backside adn leg!!!
I havent had one this long before, do you often have long flare ups like this??
Usually I just up the Prednisalone and it is ok after a day or two.

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i get the hot sweats with flare up's but mine usually only last 24 to 48 hrs.
    sorry i can't really help but didn't want to ignore you!! i really hope things calm done soon and that someone else can offer more help.
    sue
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    Hi Bailey,

Sorry to say but mine have gone on alot longer than that at times but I have always found at the worst of times I have been able to receive loads of help from my rheumy.

I haven't had a really bad flare in months but every couple of weeks I have a few days that are absolutely of the charts but they taper after a few days which is good.I think this is because we are getting on track with my meds now :D

Be persistent with them if necessary to get them to understand exactly what is going on.
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi, I dont know much about flares, I know that sounds really strange, but I have hot flushes every day, on and off in the evenings and during the night, I am the other end to you, been and done menopause. Temp always a bit high. So unsure what it is, have constant pain, was just told to wait and see, have appt on Friday, so maybe get some answers then.
    Hope you get some good answers on here, usually people are very knowledgeable, so good luck, and sory you have been so poorly Jay x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    When my daughter was born in October 2003 I had one long flare-up until March 2004.This was because I didnt contact my Rheummy as this was so sudden and dreadful it was all new to me!By the time I visited her I had lost 2 stone in weight and could barely stand let alone walk.She told me off for not contacting her sooner.I was given steroid injection and draining of the knees and diclafenic which enabled me to walk down the stairs the next morning-the first time I was able to get something from downstairs without calling the OH to do it for me.
    But you have let them know how you feel and they will be monitoring you so hope things improve soon!
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Bailey

I am so sorry to hear how you are at this time. I do hope that you can manage until Tuesday when you see your rheumi. I agree with Elizabeth that you need to talk very frankly with your rheumy and say exactly how your life is being affected - if you do not, they will not know, will they? I sincerely hope that you get some reassurance and good help and advice on Tuesday. You most certainly deserve and need it.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bailey27
    Options
    Thank you so much. I am feeling a lot better this evening, hopefully!!!
    In a way though sometimes I wish I saw the rheumy at my worst sp he can see exactly what I go through but it doesn't tend to work out like that.
    I am feeling a lot better thanks to the increase in prednisalone, only qwent from 13mg to 20 mg but it sure did make a differnace.
    Shame about the side effects of steroids because I'd be quite happy just taking those, they are fab!
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Bailey sorry to hear you're having such a bad flare up but glad to hear it its subsiding a bit now. I totally agree that you need to let them know just how bad your flare up has been and how things are with you as it's one of the most important markers of how well the treatment is working or not working for you. My Rheumy Nurse told me that they need to know this as they do not relay on blood tests alone to let them know how the disease is doing.
    The last big flare up I had lasted nearly 3 weeks and almost drove me insane with pain, that was before I started the methotrexate tho.
    Steriods are terrific for flare ups like you're having and I'm happy to hear you've had yours increased, going from 13mg to 20mg is quite a substantial increase really and it's great that they're helping.
    Good luck for tuesday,
    rita
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    HI Bailey

Sorry to hear that you're feeling so bad. I have OA and when I have a flare I ensure I take my meds as prescribed . I can take an extra amitriptiline at night. This way my flares don't last so long maybe 2-3 days. Before I was put on amytriptilines they used to last a couple of weeks.

You can only rest when you feel like this. I hope you get seen soon.

Take care.
    Sharmaine
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    Yes a lot better today. Still not 100% as this flare up really took it out of me. Jsut got to remember everything to tell the Rheumy tomorow.
    When you get reviewed what do they do exactly? Are the likely to change meds?
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I'm happy to hear you're a good bit better today. Having said that I've known flares to abate for a day or two then come back with a vengence. I'd guess 'tho that it's your steroids that are damping it down for you.
    At review they'll ask how you feel, give you paperwork to fill out there's a name for it but I forget what it is. You mark down on a scale of 1-10 how you managed to do certain things over the past week. You will be able to say then how bad you've been and how it affected your every day activities. They may well change your meds and can do so there and then. Very best of luck, hope the rest of the day goes well for you and you're getting plenty of rest.
    rita