ESR figures???

Options
sve170
sve170 Member Posts: 14
edited 26. Nov 2009, 17:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone
Was diagnosed with PA and have been on sulpha for 3 yrs now along with naproxen for flare ups, have been ok with no side effects at all apart from being very tired for no reason.
I am getting regular 3 month blood tests, all tests have been normal, i have been also getting an ESR test as part of the tests, what doe's the ESR result mean.......all my ESR results have been 10 or less.
Is this good or bad, GP did not really explain.

thanks in advance
sve

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    You can get tired with the arthritis side of it many people on here say they are tired.

I had blood tests done and I was told my liver was very high. I'm going for more bloods work in the week and scans. So they do pick up on it.

At my hospital, they do not tell you, they say it puts extra worries on you.

Why don't you have a word and ask them, that would put your mind at rest,

If you Google ESR it will tell you what it means.

Hope you feel a bit better soon

Trisher xx
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi sve, I'm certainly no expert, but am pretty sure that 10 is an excellent reading, and means your arthritis is under control, not high inflamation. The higher the ESR number the more inflamation you have, so you are doing ok. Hope thats of help, I'm sure others know much more and can help you with lots more info, take care Jay
  • sve170
    Options
    Thanks for the replies,
    I did some searching for info and it seems that an ESR of 10 is very low for someone with arth.
    My consultant says i have persistant low level inflammation 3yrs now, no consolation as i am in pain, tendor, stiff every hour of every day.
    My rheumy nurse, (only seen her once) reckoned i needed a second opinion on my diagnosis because on the surface i seemed a very healthy person.
    She questioned my diagnosis, i do definitely have something going on but what???
    My consultant (BUPA) now wants me on MTX to try and nip this persistant inflammation in the bud......i am worried about what to do as MTX will effect my employment, its a restricted drug in my workplace.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    I am going to show my ignorance here but why is MTX a restricted drug in your workplace?':oops:'':shock:'

Even if it is (more ignorance on my part) you won't be taking it at work so how does that have any impact on your employment?

Iris x
  • sve170
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    I am going to show my ignorance here but why is MTX a restricted drug in your workplace?':oops:'':shock:'

Even if it is (more ignorance on my part) you won't be taking it at work so how does that have any impact on your employment?

Iris x

Hi dorcas
    MTX is restricted because i work on the oil rigs, i do not have access to immediate medical treatment (apart from offshore medic) if i were to suffer a reaction etc... to MTX.
    To get me to hospital would require a helicopter......very expensive, i would probaly need to be on MTX for 3 months (initial side effects) before i could work back on the rigs.
    In the present economic climate to be off work that long is impossible.
    Even after 3 months the company doctors would have to give authorisation for me return to work.

It is all a big misunderstanding of the drug, unfortunately for me MTX is restricted offshore and there is nothing i can do about it.
    Type 1 diabetics are also not allowed to work offshore, its just the way it is unfortunately.