advice about subtalar joint problems

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 23. Nov 2009, 12:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
I would like to know if anyone else has had problems with their subtalar joint(around the ankle).I have just had x-rays as my foot has been giving me a hard time on and off for several years but has recently got worse.
Any one had treatment or experience of this?
Many thanks
Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi I have oa and I sometimes get pain in the ankle or the ankle will suddenly let me down and turn over. I think any joint is at risk from arthritis as they all have the same way of moving. The best thing you can do is to get you GP or rheummy to look at it for you.

Have you tried either hot or cold pads on it when you rest? I like hot, but others prefer cold, it helps with the pain and inflammation and can do you no harm. Hope it sorts out, love Sue
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    I have had problems with my ankles since I was a little kiddie.
    I had surgery on my left one about 7 years ago to tighten the ligaments as it kept rolling. Even now, although it doesnt give way I get terrible pain the joit, especially during a flare up. My right ankle keeps clunking too but not painful.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    My PsA started in my hands and feet. My ankles also were very painful. When walking, they tend to lock up, as my big toes do If I didn't have my stick I would go for a tumble every five minutes I think.
    I wish that woman from DLA could see me, then she would think differently about my mobility payment which are due to stop in Jan.
    I have had the occasional injection into my heels, the archeles heel is very vulnerable.
    Being in bed at night is always bad. I can only lie in one position at night just to get my heels and ankles pointing the right way. I can't put pressure on my heels. Then, there is the weight of the bedclothes, which doesn't help either. But, I have found a solution. I have taken one of the V Shaped Pillows normally used for necks and shoulders and have placed it on the corner of my side of the bed. I then make the bed over this so that when I slide my feet down.Not only do I have something soft to rest my heels against, there is a good sized gap to keep the weight of the bedclothes off my feet and ankles.

Joy
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Thankyou for replying Sue,Joyful and Bailey,
    I am not sure what they plan to do with the joint but it has bothered me over the years.I particularly have the probs described by Joyful, at night it wakes me up with severe pain and also like bed sores on the bottom of the ankle.On my side I find the ankles rub together and that also causes pain.A pillow will definately help.I am wondering if I will require surgery at some time in the future.
    Many thanks and take care all of you
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein