How do you take your Methotrexate?!

Options
kellis
kellis Bots Posts: 69
edited 24. Nov 2009, 10:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning!
I take 15mg of Mtx on a Monday - that's 6 tablets.
I normally take them through the day - 2 with each meal. No particular reason, I just thought it would be easier on my tummy to space them out rather than throw them all in at once!
But, I spend all day Monday feeling increasingly nauseas, lousy and heartburny - by bedtime I'm a wreck!
So today I thought I'd take them differently - 3 with lunch, 3 with dinner - therefore giving me a morning feeling ok!
So far, so good - but it will go downhill after lunch!
What do you do?

Comments

• livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There seems as many ways to take as people on the forum and no one way seems right for everyone. Have a look on earlier threads on this one.

I usually take mine all in one go late Thurs evening which means that I sleep through the worst. Then take the Folic Acid 24 hours later so that I sleep through the second set of problems.

As you do already, pills should be taken with food and so I have an excellent excuse to curl up in front of the tele and stuff my face.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    I too take all of my eight tablets in one go after having my tea on a Wednesday, then I know I can just dit and relax with my feet up and don't have to worry about feeling yukky. Then I take my folic acid after Thursday tea and that seems to work ok for me.

debs
  • kellis
    kellis Bots Posts: 69
    Options
    Folic Acid 24 hours later?!
    Never really thought about that one - I just take it with Tuesday breakfast which means it's 24 hours after I start the mtx dose but only 12 hours after I take the last ones. Perhaps I need to review this?!!
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I started out on tablets, but then moved to injections because apparently my stomach wasn't dispursing the MTX properly. This was because I have had something called Helicobactor Pilori. So I was put on Omeprazole so that my stomach could cushion the affects of medication

A lot of us take this and perhaps you should ask your GP if you need some aswell. I take folic acid 24 hours after my injection as you should with tablets too.

I hope the tablets work for you. You will not feel any difference for quite awhile so be patient.

joy
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I am on MXT injections at 20mg, I do these on sunday evenings after tea, then have my folic acid monday to friday, I still have some episodes of nausea but not as bad as when I took the tablets love Jaspercatxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I'm quite new to this, but I take mine Sunday evenings and the folic acid Tuesdays and Thursdays - I have to take it twice a week.
    The only thing I seem to do differently is that I have a pint of water when I take my tabs, this was recommended by the Rheumy.
    So far I've had absolutely no problems at all.

Annie
  • salsal
    salsal Member Posts: 49
    Options
    i take 9 tablets last thing washed down with a large glass of wine :shock: and go to bed. some times feel a little ropey fri morning but if i keep busy im ok :lol:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    [Please remember to take all medication as instructed by your healthcare team or GP.
    Moderator(T)]
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    8 tablets with water at bedtime on Sat night, Folic acid tues night, sometimes feel a bit rough on Sundays but seem to sleep through the worst of it, generally have less of an appitite on Sundays too but otherwise doing ok,
    However if at all under the weather (cough, cold, just run down, period ) i feel it much more than on the good days.
    I guess though i've just got used to feeling like that and try to take it in my stride as its been so many years and its genrally doing a good thing for me.
    Chrissie
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    I have my MTX 15mg injection on a Sunday and Folic acid 5mg on Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays

Seems we are all given different advice by our rheummys about when to take the Mtx and the time needed between that and taking the folic. suppose there must be good reason for that ':?'

I'm seeing my rheummy on Wednesday...so I'll ask !! ':mrgreen:'

All I know is that you shouldn't mess about with it! and not meant to drink alcohol with it either....last time I did I had terrible hallucinations....saw goblins at the end of my bed....kids thought it was hillarious!! so definitely not recommending you do that. ':shock:'

Iris x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    OHHH Iris goblins thats not good.

i split my mxt dose 10mg sun eve and 5mg mon lunch time, my rheumy told me to do this cos i was feeling sick and spaced out on the mon. spilting the dose has helped the sickness still do feel bit spacey on mons but better than it was. i take folic acid 48 hours after the last mxt dose and take it for 4 days.
    if your having probs best to talk to your rheumy or nurse they may ajust things for you.
    hope you start to feel better.