not strictly arthritis related....

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 24. Nov 2009, 08:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sorry!
I've developed what I think is a trapped nerve in my lower back which is very uncomfortable all the time and pretty painful if I twist or bend. Sometimes my left leg gives way and the pain shoots down this leg and makes me cry out which is slightly embarrassing. Think its caused by my advancing pregnancy.
Just wondering if anyone had any good exercises to help with the problem? I keeping mobile as I've read this is good for it but its pretty painful!
I'm off to see the GP in the hope he'll send me to see a physio and I can get a nice male physio to rub my aching bottom better.
Have also got plantar fasciitis in right heel - rheumy nurse keeps saying 'oh a bit of plantar fasciitis there' but never suggests anything that may help - and got a flare in my feet so I'm hobbling a bit at the mo!! (They go a lovely maroon, throbby colour!)

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Jen, it's a long time since I was pregnant, but I had back probs most of the way through with the first one.

Mention it to whoever and anyone that you see (midwife, rheumy nurse, whatever - tell the doctor's receptionist, too - surprising what happens at times!)
    There wasn't much they could do for me, it turned out that I was carrying a lot of liquid (baby floated out, yeehar!) but keep on keeping on about it.

Annie
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi jen,
    sounds as though you're having a rough time of it! From what I remember (wasn't yesterday that I had the last of my brood ':roll:' ) your ligaments soften during pregnancy and can lead to nerves being trapped.................very painful!! ':('

best to get it checked out though.... think physio can help ':)'

As for the feet...they sound even sorer !!!....I use hot wax bath for hands and feet which helps soothe away the deep pains for a while.

take care. iris x
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    Jenzie,

I had both of those symptoms when I was pregnant and was told it was sciatica and plantar fascitis as well. It turned out that pregnancy was the trigger for me getting arthritis and neither diagnosis was right. It was assumed because they are common in pregnancy. If you are in doubt please go and see someone about it. I wish I had, it was nearly a year later before I found out what was wrong and got any treatment. You really don't want to have any doubts when you have a newborn to take care of. Just remember that it might be sciatica and PF, in which case they should resolve soon after you give birth. In the meantime, take it easy as the ligaments are more fragile during pregnancy and injury can occur more easily.

Congrats on the pregnancy and I wish you all the best.
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. My muscles and ligaments are definitely loosening up (I have to be pretty careful when I sneeze otherwise I pull my stomach muscles!).
    Off to GP tomorrow so we'll see what he says.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,433
    Options
    Hi Jenzie
    Good to hear the pregnancy is progressing nicely :)
    Yep off to the GP for you!
    I HATE it when a pain makes me shout out - my mum used to do this in public and i used to cringe!! NOw it's me!!!!!!!
    Hope they sort you out
    LOve
    Toni x