Another ESR Question!

Options
wibberley
wibberley Member Posts: 421
edited 24. Nov 2009, 06:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I don't want to hyjack Sve's ESR post so have started a new one!

I had never even heard of ESRs until yesterday when my mtx monitoring sheet arrived through the post. According to that, my ESR is 20. Googled it to see what exactly that meant and from what I can see, for a 43 yr old woman like myself, that is not too bad.

Like sve, I'm questioning why they want to put me on such toxic drugs. Yes, I'm in pain first thing in the morning but after an hour or so, it's just an annoying stiffness unless I'm in one position for too long which does cause the hobbling to start again.

I've asked for a scan to see if there has been any joint damage but they just say it's a waste of time and just take the tablets - I don't like being pushed in to things!

I feel that because I've had JIA since the age of 7 they're just happy to assume this is all down to that, whereas I think it may be to do with fluctuating hormones.

Am wondering if I should continue my search for a more understanding GP or just take the tablets?!

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Wibbs

I think you have more or less decided, haven't you? Saying "I don't like being pushed into things".

I would go for a second opinion. Many people do. After all it is your body and you know more than anyone the symptoms you have and how you feel about things. It cannot do any harm to go for a second opinion.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Hi Elna,

I am a bit stubborn as anyone who has met me will testify!

I will probably try for a 2nd opinion but at the end of the day if this mtx really will help, I'd be silly to refuse it and I've been heartened to read quite a few positive experiences of mtx on this forum. I suppose I just want a bit more time to get my head round it than be told to start on a medium dose asap.

I also don't know why they're so unwilling to scan a hand or something just to see if there has been any damage? It all comes down to money and rescources I suppose?

Lois x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lois

I agree the metho will really help and keeps things at bay too, so I believe (I have OA). Still if you are stubborn :lol: go for a second opinion. You could ask outright if it is the cost, if you are refused further investigation for damage on your hand.

I hope your day is going ok.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.