Charities

joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
edited 27. Nov 2009, 05:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all
I am wondering if someone out there knows something I do not.
Like, have I won the lottery, premium bonds or what.
Do I go round throwing my money, whatever I have, around.
I know it's coming up to Christmas, but my letter box is crammed full of begging letters every day.
And what do you do with all the ones you receive?
I don't want to sound mean, but I just cannot afford to donate this or that amount every month.
I only have just enough money coming in to live on at the moment, especially now that my DLA will be cancelled.
Some years ago, I did send a donation to the Salvation Army and ever since I've been inundated with begging letters from them.
I regularly send bagfuls of things to the Air Ambulance. Books to Oxfam. I've held coffee mornings. I have distributed envelopes.
I donated to our local hospice with proceeds from my art exhibition plus one for an asbestos disease. For my next exhibition, I shall donate something to AC, but I just cannot cope with begging letters. For some years I spent my Saturdays helping in a Cancer Research shop
Do you think I am being mean

Joy

Comments

• gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joy,

I do understand what you mean, we too are being inundated at the moment. I especially dislike the people who jump out at you in the high streets with their clip boards.

Hubby and I have chosen the charities that we wish to support on a regular basis and do not donate to others unless it is for a jolly good reason ie, floods, telethons etc.

When I was younger and less financially able I donated less and now that I can I share a bit more. If I was struggling myself I would not donate until I was in a good position to do so otherwise it might end up me needing the help and just adding to the problem.

Sadly, I think the requests from charities are a sign of the times. Although I understand the need to make people aware of each charity I do get cross that my decisions regarding who I support are not respected.

A x
  • pheebs
    pheebs Member Posts: 202
    Hi Joy,

No, you are not mean. I give to some charities on a monthly basis and do a bit of fundraising, but that is what I choose to do. I do not like to be rail roaded into giving donations, especially when someone shoves a bucket or tin in my face as I leave the supermarket or walk along the street.

The bumf we get by post must cost the senders a lot of dosh - better to put the money in the charity tin.

Pheebs x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Joy
    Charity begins at home and you really should not feel guilty about ingoring them. Me? I take my adrees off and shove 'em in the recylcing.
    Like many others I do give what I can but I choose :)
    Toni x
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Joy,

I agree, I too give to charities in different forms, cash, items to shops etc.

My particular hate is the raffle tickets they send. For examplt a couple of Christmas's ago my oh sponsered a tiger and an orang for me, he still pays a doanation every month but 3 times a year they send out £36 worth of raffle tickets. I now put them in an envelope and return them.

You are not being mean at all.

Another bug bare of mine is everyone goes on about starving and abused children abroad but there are lots of them in the UK and they seem to be forgotten about. because we are not a third word country doesn't mean we don't have peole in need.

sorry, I will get off my soap box now.

anne
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    The ones that make me furious are those who send out small 'free' gifts and ask for 'donations' towards the costs! To me, this is moral blackmail and it makes me see red.

I don't want their dusters, calendars, notebooks or any of the other tat they send out, and like everyone else, I have my own choice of charities which I support.

Any trying this on with me once, never gets their letters properly opened again - I just remove my details and put it all in the recycle bin. Grrrr.

I'll get off my soapbox now, too.

Annie
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Hi

I have received some gift tags, and address labels all printed with my name and address, which I have never requested from a charity. They want a donation, but I'm afraid they won't get one. Those kind of tactics are dishonest in my opinion, and aim to make you feel guilty if you don't send any money.

I belong to a charity fundraising group in my village, and we choose a new charity to work for each year. Next year, we have chosen Arthritis Care, so all my efforts will be going to that.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    I hate it when various charities phone you and ask you to help either by distributing leaflets or donating money. When I tell them I already contribute to various charities some even have the temerity to ask which ones!!!-Almost saying theirs is more worthy of your help!!
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    I give money and adopt animals, Chimps, Orangs, Donkeys.

I buy lots of Poppies, one for each of my mum's family who died in the second world war and those Missing it Action.

I have also bought a big poppy for someone very special.

I support Hero's in need and have the we wrist bangle.

I give to Children In Need also.

Trisher xx
  • joyful164
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi

I have received some gift tags, and address labels all printed with my name and address, which I have never requested from a charity. They want a donation, but I'm afraid they won't get one. Those kind of tactics are dishonest in my opinion, and aim to make you feel guilty if you don't send any money.

I belong to a charity fundraising group in my village, and we choose a new charity to work for each year. Next year, we have chosen Arthritis Care, so all my efforts will be going to that.

Joan

I agree with you Joan. It's like I said. I supported the Fellowship of Professional & Amateur Artists chosen charities this year and next year, it will be AC. I am holding my exhibition to try and make money to supliment my pension. I will not get rich from it, but it is a nice feeling having a chosen charity to put on your invites. It could make more people come.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, we keep getting begging letters too, but like Malcolm says you can't support them all, I only support Nras, Arthritis Care, National Epilepsy Society and Cats Protection, there is a charity shop here in Macclesfield for a animal sanctuary, I give things to them whenever I can love Jaspercatxx
  • joyful164
    Thank you for the positive approach to this subject. I'm glad that I am not the only one who hates being bombarded by begging letters.
    I forgot to mention the one event of the year whereby I do raise quite a bit of money for charity. How could I forget. The event I started with my OH 2 years ago is called the Stilton Cheese Run. (There is a website for it) It starts at Quenby Hall in Leics and finishes in Stilton Cambs. 6 years ago, Anglian TV covered a re-enactment of the horse and cart journey taken 300 years ago to deliver Stilton Cheese made at Quenby Hall to The Bell at Stilton. I said to my OH, why don't we hold a car run doing the same route. Initially it was just going to be our Citroens Special Club, but then decided to open it up to the Kettering & District Automobile Club. so it was decided to hold it on "Drive it Day" 4th Sunday in April. This is when all owners of Classic Cars just bring their cars out for all sorts of events.
    The 1st year we ran it we gave £350 towards Air Ambulance, and then last year we raised £750. We hope to make it £1k in 2010, hopefully more. We are already getting bookings and people cannot wait to get their name down. So far we have 20 cars. As we have left about £50 in the account to leave it hope, that means we have already raised our 1st £100.
    We would not consider changing the charity because about 8 years ago, a very dear friend of ours life was saved by the Air Ambulance when he was in a concertina accident on the M5. He spent months and months in hospital and, since recovery, he has gone on to learn how to fly and now he helps them himself.

joy
  • joyful164
    And year, I have bought 4 Countrylife calenders for presents, which equates to £16 to children in need.
    I bought the CD for the solders, play it all the time in my studio.

Do you think there is any chance we could all get together to make a record. Who's a good singer and who can play the piano. What about the violin, Mel???

joy
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Hi Joy

No you are not being mean! I donate to cancer research since there is cancer in my family, pdsa as i'm an animal lover and always the poppy appeal.

Those are the charities closest to my heart. I'm not saying the others aren't worthwhile, just that you have to stop somewhere.

Something that always gets me though is that some charities, you may donate £1 but the charity probably only actually gets something like 40p as the rest goes to the MD's wage :x

Carol X
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Delboy

Can you drop a pie off to me, I love them.

Trish xxxx
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    edited 26. Nov 2009, 13:16
    Hi,
    I too found that I had to become selective as to which charities I could afford to support financially, others I donate goods to their shops.

HOWEVER, no matter which charity it is, sometimes it is the way in which we are approached which will determine if I donate money.

i.e. I and several friends were enjoying a happy evening out enjoying a meal at a restaurant one christmas. In came a couple of 'collectors' and loudly went to each table, ringing a bell, and shouting out for donations. Talk about being put on the spot! I think it was a disgrace and the restaurant should not have allowed it, everyone donated because we would have been embarassed not to!

Similarly, my OH sometimes likes to go out for a quiet drink with friends. He never gives to collectors who come into the pub because, as he says, he chooses who and when to donate to, whereas his friends feel they HAVE to give in order not to appear mean :oops:

Between us, we do what we can, and don't feel bad about what we can't do!

Jackie x

[/i]
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Yes it definately how you get asked that matters.I support local autistic charities and our communication group and some homeless charities.Also if the childrens schools are collecting for a local charity I like to contribute too.But it is all cash in the tin at the schools so anonymous.But I get hundreds of requests through the post and I think they originated from an arthritis related charity I send money on a regular basis!
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joyful164
    carol101 wrote:
    Hi Joy

No you are not being mean! I donate to cancer research since there is cancer in my family, pdsa as i'm an animal lover and always the poppy appeal.

Those are the charities closest to my heart. I'm not saying the others aren't worthwhile, just that you have to stop somewhere.

Something that always gets me though is that some charities, you may donate £1 but the charity probably only actually gets something like 40p as the rest goes to the MD's wage :x

Carol X

Hi Carol
    Haven't logged onto this subject for awhile, busy busy. anyway. I know what you mean. I had some raffle tickets come and child leuhaemia really does pull my heart strings. To fill them all in and then send £20. I shall give it some thought. If my DLA is restored to me then I can possibly support it, but all these charities do make me feel guilty if I don't donate and that is what they depend on.
  • joyful164
    Two years ago, I held one of the Coffee mornings and I raised £200.
    Dutifully sent it in. That following weekend my OH and I attended a fundraising event for the Vulcan Bomber which has been restored. It was suppose to be flying into Bruntingford airfield that day to be put to bed for the winter. Unfortunately, we couldn't go round to the museum, which was part of the schedule because there were about 4,000 MacMillan Nurses having an 'away day' driving HGV round a testing circuit. So for H&S reasons we couldn't go round and look at the planes.

I know these amazing woman do a wonderful job and they have to see some terrible things and they have to let their hair down. But, I thought to myself and it was a big BUT, who was paying for this away day? Had it been donated to them maybe? I would have love to have known, or did it come out of the money made at the Coffee Mornings???????

joy