TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT [DOUBLE]

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 1. Dec 2009, 17:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Help
I was diagnosed with osteo 7 years ago and for a long time have been on nothing but paracetamol. I went back to GP and said I hadnt seen anyone since I was diagnosed {rheumy} and i would like a referral. He said that a rheumy would be no help for osteo ...it would need to be orthopaedics.
Had an appointment on Mon Evening....I went from coping on paracetamol to being told I had to have a double hip replacement!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about being gobsmacked. I went in with the idea i dont need a {one} hip replacement what am i doing here and then he shows me the x rays and says you need 2 new hips.
I've got a date for the first one 12th Feb.
I'm sure some of you have been through this.....any info and help for me please. I havent had a pre op assessment yet which i think is where they do lots of tests and i find out a bit more. But all info is welcome
Thanks
Hileena

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Hilheena.
    at last some thing is being done for you.
    i bet that was a shock.
    i have 1 new hip i'm his 13 years old now.
    good luck with yours.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • ikesother
    ikesother Member Posts: 171
    Hi Hileena, wow what a shock being told you needed 2 THRs! When I was first diagnosed, I left it nearly 3 years, because of my age (39) and because I was really chicken :wink: Finally, after 2 cancellations, I had the op on my left hip, in August this year, and woke from surgery with no pain for the first time in years! I was off crutches at 8 weeks post op and I swim 4 times a week doing on average 40 lengths and walk all over. I have a new lease of life. It really was worth it in the end. Hope you find this site helpful, theres plenty of us whose had hip and knee replacements, look forward to reading your experiences :wink: jk
  • hileena111
    Thanks for the replies........That has given me a bit more of an idea what to expect.....the only difference is I'm 63
    Oh well....we'll see how it goe

Hileena[/i]
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Hileena

Lovely to hear from you again. Wow, a double THR! Many on here have had THR so you will be able to call in and get lots of help.

I too have been to see the knee consultant and am having my other knee done at the end of January 2010. He said he could not believe that I had not been to see him earlier and I must be very stoical!!! :roll:

Do keep us up to date won't you and ask away with the questions.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    Thanks for the replies........That has given me a bit more of an idea what to expect.....the only difference is I'm 63
    Oh well....we'll see how it goe

Hileena[/i]
  • hileena111
    I've got so many questions I dont know where to start :roll:
    Its the post op I'm thinking about.....how long are you on crutches, on a stick or whatever? How long do you have to sleep on your back {that I'm notlooking forward to one little bit} When can you have a bath? How mobile are you when you come out of hos[....roughly what can you do for yourself?
    You see a car knocked me down and reversed over my ankle last year {6th Dec...}.so Jan and Feb I was immobile...not allowed to put my foot on the ground so I tend to think back to that.
    You can see by the questions I know nothing about it whatsoever :D
    Hileena
  • newark
    newark Member Posts: 32
    hileena111 wrote:
    I've got so many questions I dont know where to start :roll:
    Its the post op I'm thinking about.....how long are you on crutches, on a stick or whatever? How long do you have to sleep on your back {that I'm notlooking forward to one little bit} When can you have a bath? How mobile are you when you come out of hos[....roughly what can you do for yourself?
    You see a car knocked me down and reversed over my ankle last year {6th Dec...}.so Jan and Feb I was immobile...not allowed to put my foot on the ground so I tend to think back to that.
    You can see by the questions I know nothing about it whatsoever :D
    Hileena

Hi Hileena,

It is a shock to the system isn't it? I had THR on both in January (I'm 37). I was out of hospital in a week and back to work in three months.

I have banged on about this in other posts but get yourself some arnica tablets from a homeopathic drug store - really do work. Take before and after the op to reduce swelling and internal bruising.

Obviously everyone is different, I had a bit of a rogh time immediately after the op as I lost quite a bit of blood but all in all it wasn't that bad. The biggest shock was when I did eventually stand up four days after - it didn't hurt!

You will be limited when you go home, definitely need someone to help with getting you food and drink for first couple of weeks when you are on two crutches. Another tip is to make sure your bedding is light - I found a normal duvet too heavy to cope with to start with. To be honest you can't do a huge amount yourself to start with. You'll need the raised toilet seats and frames. Watch out for the door frames as you will be wider than you think to start with! Just make sure you go for regular little walks and rest laying flat during the day (helps with moving the fluids to get the swelling down).

You will swell up after the op so underwear at least two sizes too big is needed and also dresses that go on over your head. I also had leg warmers. I found that I could get them on using the helping hand and it kept my legs warm as tights and socks are way too diffcult to start with.

Good luck with it. Be positive, if you have managed with the pain so far you will cope with the op ok. If you have any other questions I'm happy to help. As the others say, the pain relief is so worth the op.

I came onto this site before having my op done and found the advice from everyone so helpful as I was scared about going ahead with it. I am really glad I did now though. Happy to answer any other questions.

All the best.

Lx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello,
    I'm glad that you have got everything sorted out so nice and quickly! It must have been such a shock. Maybe its better this way as you wont have to wait around for ages thinking about it.

Love Sue
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Thanks for all the advice......its all helpful....I had forgotten all about arnica....I used to use it faithfully when the kids were little for bumps and bruises etc but somehow had forgotten all about it. Do i need the homeopathic dose or is the over the counter dose enough? I will check with my doc as well.
    Whats a dress?????????????? LOL LOL LOL :lol:
    I hoped I would be able to wear loose fitting trousers with a tie waist or elasticated waist? No?? See I know nothing LOL
    Thanks no doubt I'll think of something else
    Hileena
  • newark
    newark Member Posts: 32
    Hi,

The homeopathic doc should be able to sort you out with the right dose. I bought over the counter from them, it was something like one every hour after the op. Doctor may or may not approve. My Dad used them for his cancer and hernia ops and I did ok with them. I don't think they can do any harm.

Lose waist things should be ok. I did leave hosp in really baggy track bottoms and managed ok, just too much hassle on a daily basis.

Time seems to drag in the first few motnhs but actually whizzes by. Time to buy up all those box sets of DVDs you've always wanted to see!

Lx
  • hileena111
    Sorry Havent been on for a couple of days....trying to catch up with things now.
    I dont own a dress....hate the things.....I think I'll try baggy trousers LOL and hope for the best.

Hileena