How long can anyone endure really bad pain for?

page35
page35 Member Posts: 1,081
edited 26. Nov 2009, 04:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
17m that is a hell of a long time in that kind of pain
can you get any stronger meds to help with the pain
take care

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The fusion i had done 30 years ago has finally given up the ghost . Four weeks ago the ankle started to give me real problems ( can't walk properly to the corner shop, first thing in the morning).
    Massive swelling on the outstep, loads of pain on the instep. ( it looks a mess )
    I was trying to put another op off for about 18 months for several reasons, but how long can the average person endure this for. Ive lasted 1 month
    thats another 17 to go,....... oh dear. Alanmancunian

Hi Alan,

Why are you trying to put your operation off - I don't understand? :?

I would have it done as soon as possible if there's no likelihood of your ankle settling down again - could you put in for a cancellation?

...... and as Page says would stronger meds help?

Luv Legs :|
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Alan

I know you are strong and determined but 17 months is far too long to wait. Maybe you could manage a few more but that long and you will be on your knees. Please think about it again and go for it earlier.

Love
    Vonski x
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    oh hun,
    don't be brave and put your op off, I did a few years back and it ended up a lot worse than it needed to be,
    if you can get it done as soon as.
    take care
    lol
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    You have very difficult dicisions to make, good luck. While you're deciding what's to be done do you know hoe long you might have to wait? I know in the NHS at the moment the waiting times are ment to be coming down but it may still end up taking months anyhow. Hope you can get some better pain relief and feel at least a little easier.
    good luck rita
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Alan

First of all it is good to see you on here again but I am sorry to read your posting. You have had it really tough. I think you may be making excuses because all the other pointers 1 - 4 will be still there however long you wait. You are struggling to walk now and I presume you are in pain. When you have the op at least you will not be in pain even if it will still not be at all easy to get around.

It is a difficult decision to make but you will not be in pain.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I don't know your reasons for wanting to wait, but if you have an op in the near future, you may well get a better result than walking on a damaged joint. I think it might damage it more, although I don't know much about your op. Certainly strong painkillers, if possilbe, you must be in agony! :x Love Sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Alan

Please do call in and let us know how you are. You used to be a "regular" on here and are missed by us lot that remember you but I do understand that we all go through phases as this forum does too. :wink:

You look after yourself,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Alan

Know exactly what you mean about 4 walls and it will be quite a journey for check ups etc but I think it could well be last resort time from what you say. Good luck whatever you decide and please come back, us old uns miss you you know :) If you don't fancy coming back full time pop in and let us know how your doing.

Love
    Vonski x
  • dianel
    dianel Member Posts: 48
    Hi Alan,
    So sorry to read your post. You've been very kind and answered one or two of mine in the past.
    I agree with what the others have said especially about the stronger painkillers - have you managed to get some? It's not clear to me whether the fact that the op. will mean that you cannot walk for a while afterwards, or whether you'll never be able to walk on it? If the latter, then your reluctance to have the op. is more understandable.
    I totally understand your fear of "four walls" and it certainly doesn't pay any of us to look too far ahead. I wish I could offer you some helpful comments, but perhaps knowing that you can come on here and get some sympathy helps just a little. All best wishes Diane.