100% infertile and Sulfasalazine (salazopyrin)

Options
dgoliver1
dgoliver1 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2009, 03:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there,

I may be cheating a little here as I specifically have psoriatic arthritis not RA, but hopefuilly someone can share some advice or experience.

I have been taking 2000mg (4 tabs) a day for around 8 months and the drugs seem to have controlled my knee swelling as I have now gone roughly 4 months without any steroid injections.

Recently I took a fertility test as my rheumatologist wanted to 'up' my dosage to make sure the drugs are having an effect, without affecting fertility, my wife and I have been trying for a baby for 6 months unsucssfully and also wanted to use the test to check that everything was ok.

The results show that of my sperm count 100% is abnormal meaning that there is no way I could conceive. I understand that sulfasalazine can reduce fertility but has anyone had any experience of 100% abnormal sperm from the drug? as now we can only desperatley hope that the result is due to the tablets and not an underlying problem.

Thanks all, any information is gratefully received.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Oliver

First of all welcome to the forum and you are not "cheating" all all by joing us. This forum is for all with arthritis and family who may know someone dear to them with arthritis.

I am sorry to hear what has happened and cannot offer any advice but wished to offer you both sympathy. I do hope that you can find out fairly quickly what the problem is - the sulfa or something else.

Look after yourselves,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jojo03
    jojo03 Member Posts: 77
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Oliver

I have read up a lot on this subject as I have been unable to conceive, and am taking sulpha, as well as anti-infammatories. Apparently, it's fine for a woman to take sulpha if she wants to conceive, but men absolutely shouldn't take it, as it definitely affects their fertility. If you go to the "Publications and Resources" tab on the home page, there should be a leaflet there about medication, and I think it gives you a bit more info about this in that leaflet.

I'm sure there will be a way around it, perhaps a different drug you can take.

Best wishes to you both,
    Jo x.