Anyone here with Patella OA??.

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 7. Dec 2009, 17:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all has anyone on here that's got just patellofemerol OA( OA of the knee caps) if so what symptoms and treatment do you get for it?. :?:

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mell

I for one would not know if that is/was the problem with my knees - only been told it is OA. Had TKR 2 years ago and the other one is to be "done" in January 2010. :)

Shame no one appears to be suffering from what you have been diagnosed with and could discuss it with you.

Hope your day is going ok.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Hi all has anyone on here that's got just patellofemerol OA( OA of the knee caps) if so what symptoms and treatment do you get for it?. :?:

Hi Mellman
    its not the same thing but may help, not sure. my son has osgood schlatters disease which is swelling and a bony lump of the patella ligament, he takes anti fams if painful and has to wear a knee surport with a extra support for the patella.
    this is prob of no use to you but as no one else seems to have same prom as you thought i would tell you this anyway.
    if no thing else it will bumb up the thread and someone else may help :D
    page.

hi Elna :D
  • mellman01
    Options
    Thanks for the replies trust me to have a type of OA no one else seem to have!.
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi

I have 'wear and tear' on my patella if that is the same. Been told by people on here it is the term they use for OA. I have been told I will need a new kneecap but I am 'too young' (29). I have had a synvisc injection in it which I am due for again soon I hope because it has worn off pretty much.
    I have been diagnosed with spondyloaropathy which effects my hip nd lower and I see my rheumatologist for that, however, my knee problem started after I went for a run and the dr thought is was my cartlidge. They did key hole surgery on it to tidy it all up and after the surgery my orthopaedic dr explaine that it was wear and tear and that I would one day need the knee cap replaceing. The rest of the knee is fine just the patella which is giving me the problems. I get pinching in the lower quadrants of the knee and can't kneel on it at all. When walking my dog he has a habit of rubbing his cheeks against my leg when waiting to cross the road which sends shock waves through my leg as he presses the knee cap in and gives absolute agony.
    I am not sure if this is the same as what you have????
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi bailey thanks you for the reply, well I was just told I have advance OA my right is worse I had to come off shift as doc told me I would finish them off in around 2 years if I carried on as I was.
    My big problem is what I think are flares just getting over one now, it's really horible low dull ache that increases the longer I stand on up, it gets so bad I have to sit down but even then the feeling still doesn't all go, it just makes me very snappy and tired, I can't walk the dog or go anywhere without real discomfort so shopping is out of the question when I'm having one, I take Tramadol but if it's bad the pain comes straight through.
    However saying that general discomfort has been helped a lot by using chiili or capsicum cream the trick is to keep using it daily takes out a lot of low grade discomfort that's for sure.
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    I get a dull ache in my knee when i keep still too long. But when I do move around it often hurts too especially up and down stairs, walking normally is fine. It is weird becuse it is an orthopaedic surgeon who told me about my knee but the rheumatologist is seeing me about my hip and back probs. The orthopaedic surgeon hasnt actually told me I have OA, just 'wear and tear' of the knee cap.
  • lottiefox
    lottiefox Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi both, I have "wear and tear"/early OA in my left kneecap (and I suspect in my right knecap too but that is being well behaved for now!) diagnosed on an MRI.

I'm interested in the "clearing out" that took place and also the Synvesic (spelling? sorry!) injection - did either procedure help? I'm also wondering if a steroid injection could help with managing the symptoms.

I get worse dull ache and pressure feeling when I'm sitting down, legs feel restless and I need to move about. I can walk about on it but it will ache if I do too much and anything impact based is out of the question (I used to run, do military fitness classes, dance aerobics etc - no more!) Kneecaps are a pain - literally! :x

Meant to add - been having a big flare up recently but when things are calmer I find the quads strengthening exercises can help as can a decent sports massage of the legs (avoiding knee!!) to loosen muscles. I also have a foam roller and use this regularly to "iron out" the IT band and calves.....

And then Tramadol when things get too bad! :(
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    I basically had key hole surgery on my knee and when they looked in there they found there was a lot of debris which they clenaed out but they also found that I had a split down my cartlidge which meant that my patella had worn down underneath. They told me I would need to have the knee cap replaced but that at my age (29) they wouldnt consider it at the mpment so are trying other options. I had a synvisc injection in it about 12 weeks after the keyhole surgery which was to lubricate the joint and to help prevent further damage. I had an achey leg for about 10 days afterwards the injection although it didnt hurt when I had it. I havent really noticed a huge differance in my knee at all as I havent been able to exercise as much such as running, which was when I would get the most trouble. I did notice for a while that i was getting any sharp pinching pain in my kee when walking downstairs so it has helped with that aspect. It has since worn off I think and am now experiencing the pain again and more pain which was different to before so am thinking there is more damage gone on in there. After the keyhole they advise me not to run on it and to avoid a lot of high impact activity. (I cant do that anymore anyway because of my hips.)
    I asked my GP about getting a steroid injection into it too to see if it helps but he basically said to see how this goes first.
    Not sure what happens next with my knee next as I was suppose to have seen him again 4-5 weeks ago but his clinis is running behind and will now probably be afer christmas.
  • cymraeg555
    cymraeg555 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    I also have this in both knee caps,and both have moved,making some days unbearable,I take pain killers,but have just been told that I need tkr,which I will have to wait 6 yrs for,as the Dr says I have to be at least 60... some days I get very depressed by all of the pain ,and more so since developing heart problems last year :?
    So I can understand what your going through xx