Gout Attack

Options
richh1967
richh1967 Member Posts: 2
edited 26. Nov 2009, 08:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all..am new to this forum and am looking for some advice. I have had a couple of gout attacks in the past, usually affecting the big toe area. In the past week or so I have had an attac
k which has affected the knuckle joint of my right index finger. Obviously this has been extremely painful and I have battled it with the usual diet and NSAID's. It is now starting to subside but I am suffering with occasional pains in my forearm, wrist and second finger, these are usually dull nagging pains but nothing seems to shift it. Does anyone else have any suggestions or experienced similar. I have arthritis in my knee and am not sure if the gout attack has caused any more damage / affected nerves etc. Any suggestions would be most grateful as it is starting to wear me down a bit. I'm not a big fan of doctors, so am willing to try anything off my own back first..thanks in advance

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have had bad gout in both toes and right knee and I also have bad OA in both knees, surgeon said no gout was visible when he did op and in his mind it’s not to blame, the med for gout I use and have used are and were as follows, Voltarol but it upset my stomach really badly in the end, I tried Indamathicin made my balance go all over the place, so I now take Alluprurinol 100mg each day and that works a treat.
    The biggest culprit for giving me gout was red wine closely followed by cider sadly, red meat cheese basically anything that is nice!., the up side is at least it’s controllable my OA is really doing my head in right now am having a flare and I feel like pooh just now.
    Mind you gout is painful on a whole new level so my sympathy, oh also drinking water helps to hydrate you but not to much mind don't go drinking pints and pints of it that's dangerous as it dilutes your electrolytes.