Handsy Update

Options
handsy
handsy Member Posts: 209
edited 27. Nov 2009, 21:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi gang,

I am a bit confused (not to difficult now) i have been granted DLA and I have a question? so does that mean i am disabled, i am unsure and quite scared of the whole process. who actually tells you that you are disabled. I know I am bad and all the stuff that goes with it but who says "YES YOU ARE NOW DISABLED" I have been really ill and would like nothing better than a 40 hour week with a bit of overtime on a saturday at work. I never thought that i would say i miss work but I really do. Miss all my old mates and the crack. i was quite a budding comic at work which made the days go well. I miss it so much. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi John

I am so sorry to hear that you are not good and have not been for some time. You have not been on the forum for quite a time, I know that. I miss my old part time job too. :(:( 4 years ago......
    You always miss what you can't have anymore, don't you?

I cannot help you on the DLA bit, but isn't that good news that you have been granted it? Better than a kick up the backside, anyway.

I hope you still do have your sense of humour. It does help.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Glad to hear you've gotten the DLA. You can actually work and it does'nt affect it as far as I know because it is'nt means tested or anything. If you feel up to it I'd say go for it.
    As to disabled and who tells you, I don't think anyone comes right out and says it. I feel funny talking about the DDA in relation to myself and don't think of myself in that way really even 'tho I am. I kind of think, I have a disability. I've not clamed or applied for DLA yet 'tho.
    Good luck
    rita
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Yes, if you are well enough for some work, even full-time dla doesn't effect it. An employment advisor told me to apply when I went back for a short while, but couldn't manage it. I didn't because once back at work I thought I'd be fine!

I do understand what you mean about missing work. I was a care assistant with the elderly dementia people, not too nice, a lot of people think, but the sort of thing that you love or hate. I loved it, mostly, and miss all the chatter and amusing things we used to do.

I hope that maybe you can find some way of going back for a few hours a week or doing some voluntry work, that wound get you out and about again.
    Anway, take care, love Sue
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi John,
    Have you got your back pay yet? It would be much easier to work and not have to deal with all this cr*p and stupid,ill-informed people and I am sure you miss the money as well as the camaraderie. I know you are too ill at the moment but I hope,like me,things improve soon so you will be nearer to your old self.I am sure it will happen soon.
    I was lucky as I had stopped working to have my two sons but havent worked since due to the onset of R.A after the birth of my second son.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    You are classed as disabled if you have a physical or mental impairment which causes a long term adverse effect in carrying out normal day to day activities. Normal day to day activities are such things as being able to feed yourself, take care of your personal hygiene, being able to shop for yourself and walking.

Usually the period classed as long term is at least 12 months but there are no hard and fast rules regarding this. It is classed as a substantial adverse effect when your abilities are limited in more than just minor ways and your inability will go towards deciding if you are classed as disabled or not by law.
    http://arch-online.org/what-is-a-disability.htm

There is a lot more info on the website given above, such as: 13% of the workforce in the UK is disabled.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif