Cataract side effect of meds?

Options
slummymummy
slummymummy Member Posts: 69
edited 7. Dec 2009, 03:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've been on Methotrexate for 18 months, and Sulfasalazine for 6 months. They told me to get eye checks because of the Sulf. At my last eye test, the opthalmologist said that I've got a cataract in my right eye. I've had eye tests before, but this hasn't been mentioned, so I suppose it may be a side effect of my meds. I'm only 35, and nobody in my family had cataracts until their 80's. What do you think? I've stopped the sulf and am waiting to see my GP and rheum consultant. I spoke to a rheum nurse today, and she wasn't sure.

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've been on Methotrexate for 18 months, and Sulfasalazine for 6 months. They told me to get eye checks because of the Sulf. At my last eye test, the opthalmologist said that I've got a cataract in my right eye. I've had eye tests before, but this hasn't been mentioned, so I suppose it may be a side effect of my meds. I'm only 35, and nobody in my family had cataracts until their 80's. What do you think? I've stopped the sulf and am waiting to see my GP and rheum consultant. I spoke to a rheum nurse today, and she wasn't sure.

Hi

I have been on Sulfa and my eyes are playing up. I had an eye test because I wanted to as I could not read a newspaper and nor on the telly.
    I feel as if I'm in a light mist ans it seems to move, as if you are in a draft.
    it is very hard to explain though. I was not told to have your eyes tested.

Thanks I will tell the Rheummy Clinic

Trish xx
  • slummymummy
    slummymummy Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Sorry, silly me... I meant to say Hydroxychloroquine, not Sulfasalazine (I stopped that one last year). Sorry if I worried anyone on it. I think they must be doing my brain in, aswell as my eyes!!! I was really worried about the cataract, and contacted my rheumy and he said that it wouldn't be either of the meds causing the cataract, and to carry on. I'm still not sure what to do. Does RA cause cataracts? Anyone know???
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi, steroids can cause cataracts. To my knowledge RA doesn't cause cataracts but I could be wrong. You can get inflammation in eyes such as iritis or uveitis.

My hubby had a cataract op before 30, he has had chronic uveitis for years, but they believe it was due to an eye injury he didn't get tretaed at the time.

I don't know if you have ever had high doses of steroids?

Take care

Deb x