sleep positions

bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 29. Nov 2009, 14:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
if anybody with oa of knees what sleeping position do you find the comfiest i am really struggling at the moment thanks
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Poor you, it's miserable when you can't get a decent sleep.My OA is in my knees too and I find sometimes laying on my back and putting a pillow underneath them can help. Even if I lay on my side I put a pillow between the knees or on the bed and put the knee on top of it if you know what I mean. Best thing for me when they're really bad is to do something with them before I go to bed.
    Physio showed me to lay on the floor, bum against an armchair, knees and lower legs on the seat of the chair. I would lay like that for about 15 mins or so, it helps my knees and my back too. Hope I've explained it properly.
    Hope more folk can help.
    rita
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I am sorry to hear that Bertyboy - I know well where you are coming from with not sleeping due to cranky knees. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I have to get up in the end and heat a wheatbag, put it on my knees and that usually makes me sleep, no particular position as long as the knees have the warmth around them.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I dont have OA I have R.A but have suffered a lot from knee pain over the years.Couldnt sleep with my legs stretched out straight for years,then that improved(prob from medication) so it was lovely to be able to lie straight.Lately the pain has returned so tried a pillow under them.This can help but then the pain returns(waking me up again).I have started putting a hot water bottle between the knees so they dont touch and one between my foot due to foot pain.This has helped enough to get some quality sleep
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Bertyboy,

The sleep interruption is the horriblest thing and I am sorry your having problems there. Someone (I don't actually remember who I am afraid) said about the pillow to me and it does really help with the knees and the hips. I find keeping mine away from each other also helps so my worst knee and hip are straighter and the better ones slightly bent. I really hope you find something that is comfortable for you. Cris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, Not getting enough sleep makes you feel worse than ever, a thin, soft pillow between the knees and supporting the lower leg when sleeping on the side and a thicker pillow or rolled up large towel in a pillow case for comfort, when you'r on your back, try and keep your heels of the bed, as they can get sore. Thats my recipe, learnt from working as a care assisstant with neuro people.

It may be a good idea to see theCommunity Occupational Therapist, they have other special things like supports and stuff that help with the comfort side of things.

Have a good nights sleep tonight! Love Sue
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    I have concocted a system which seems to keep the weight of the bedclothes off my legs and feet.

I have a couple of the v shaped pillows you normally use for your neck. I have placed the v shaped pillow on the bottom corner of the bed between the mattress and a sheet, then put the duvet over that. Don't know what size bed you have but it should work on anything from a single to a super king bed like ours.

I then have one of those soft pillows between my knees, because if I don't my left leg seizes up and I can't walk the next morning.

What with the splints for my wrists and hands and fixing the cushion between my knees it is quite a performance at night I can tell you. And then, ofcourse I can only lie one way on my left side because my right hip is too sore to lie on. Perhaps I could tie a soft pillow to my hip. Anyway, try the V Shaped pillow. could work for you

joy
  • bertyboy
    thanks all got a few different things to try xx
  • woodbon
    I hope you find the one that will work for you! Have a good nights rest! Love Sue
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Bertyboy

I have OA in both knees and have to sleep on my back. I invested in a memory foam mattress topper which has helped as it supports my frame a lot better. It was worth every penny. Prior to that I had to use 2 pillows under the knees and 2 under ankles. It's the only way I can be totally comfortable at night.

I hope you find something that suits you.

Sharmaine

bertyboy wrote:
    if anybody with oa of knees what sleeping position do you find the comfiest i am really struggling at the moment thanks
  • woodbon
    Hi, I have a memory foam mattress topper and a memory foam pillow. They help a great deal. Sometimes if my neck is really driving me up the wall, I go upstairs and lie on the bed for half an hour or so and that seems to help a lot. The only problem is, sometimes I go to sleep and lie too long, then I'm stiff when I wake up! :oops: :D Love Sue
  • sharmaine
    Hi Bertyboy

I forgot to add that I also put one memory foam pillow under my knees as well as the memory foam mattress topper i feel that this gives my knees etc good support. My memory foam pillows are fab - before I was constantly turning over my pillow to find the cold spot. I find it keeps my body/head at a nice temperature. Having OA in the knees is torture!!

Do you take amytriptline before you go to bed? This helps too.

Sharmaine
    bertyboy wrote:
  • bertyboy
    hi Sharmaine all i take is diclofenac paracetamol and co codamol if really needed at night xx
  • sharmaine
    Hi Bertieboy

It took some time for my GP to find the right balance of meds - I was in torment and miserable because I had not slept properly for a few years. She presecribed amitrytiline last year and this has been a huge help. I take two about 2 hours before bedtime and this helps to relax the muscles and you!!! When I have a flare or nothing seems to ease the pain/discomfort I resort to 3 amytriptlines at night. I sleep very well most nights.

Go back and explain about the trouble you're having sleeping - I understand completely how uncomfortable you must be having OA in both knees. I take 8 co-drydramols a day, everday as both knees are pretty bad plus diclofenac.

Investing in a memory foam topper and memory foam pillows has helped too. I bought my memory foam mattress topper from Argos but you can buy them cheaper online. I bought one a few months ago for the guest bedroom and it was £26 - it didn't come with the elasticated sides but I spent £4.00 on 2 metre of 1.5inch elastic and sewed them on - it works just fine. without elastic sides they tend to slip off the mattress.

Sharmaine
  • woodbon
    Hi, I have the slow release tramadol and amatriptylne at night I find the slow release pills so much better for me. They slowly release the drug and last for 12 hours. I used to take the ordenary ones, 2 four times a day, but the doc at the pain management clinic explained that its fine during the day but when you go to bed and only take 2 they are through the system before the morning and you wake in pain, which is what was happening.

I have the problem of not being able to take any anti-inflams, as I've had a perforated ulcer!

Love Sue