coming off methetrexate

Options
lisa11
lisa11 Bots Posts: 20
edited 8. Dec 2009, 15:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi has any of you been on methetrexate and came off it by your own choice and if so what were your experiences
thanks for ya time
take carexx

Comments

• jen1805
    jen1805 Member Posts: 5
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi, I came off mtx injections for 3 months as I couldn't cope with the side effect any longer and needed a break, I was ok to start with felt great I was human again but inevitably the R.A. started to flare up again so had to start taking it again, back to being like the living dead for most of the week :( basically its your body and your decision do whats best for you

good luck
    Jen x
  • dutchess
    dutchess Member Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm came off methotrexate as wanted to start family and had the support of my gp and consultant. For the first two months I felt fantastic: no more nausea, nails/skin etc improved but then I had a massive flare and ended up on two months of steroids starting at 40mg only just been off them and sadly had to go back on the methotrexate. For me personally its a wonder drug and it wasn't until I was off it completely I realised what it did for my quality of life. Its an individual thing as we all have different conditions that are being managed. My only advice would be to discuss it with your gp or consultant first as its a big decision to make. Best of luck.
    Take care
    Luv Kelly
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i stopped taking it last week, after talking to my consumtant about it 1st. at the moment i'm ok, but obviously it takes a while to get out your system.
    i'll let you know how i feel in a few weeks!
    sue
  • lisa11
    lisa11 Bots Posts: 20
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    i stopped taking it last week, after talking to my consumtant about it 1st. at the moment i'm ok, but obviously it takes a while to get out your system.
    i'll let you know how i feel in a few weeks!
    sue
    thanks for your replies its my son who is on it and things are getting worse not better so he changing to something else and the docs are advising to be off it 6 months before starting new drug but the thought of it scares the living daylights out of me
    thanks again
    luv lisa x