Shoulder joint replacement

twiggypuss
twiggypuss Member Posts: 14
edited 29. Nov 2009, 15:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone. Has anyone had a shoulder joint replacement operation? How did you get on, and do you think it was worth it?
I've got RA and had problems with my shoulder for years, but now, after an MRI scan, my consultant tells me I also have OA in that joint, and has suggested a replacement. Sounds really scary, please help me to decide!

Comments

• sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I've got OA in my right shoulder and the pain can be horrendous. I feel for you but not sure how to advise you!!

Hopefully someone will be able to advise you. My GP keeps telling me that they can replace just about any joint these days! Before long they'll be growing them in situ! I hope I'm around when that happens!!!

I think ultimately the decision will lie with you. How does it affect your life? How painful it is etc? I didn't hesitate about the knee ops as after all these years I'm fed up with the pain and discomfort.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Sharmaine
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Twiggy
    I know of someone who has had a very successful shoulder joint operation.

The decision has to be yours in the end. I don't believe anyone else can help you to decide. I always feel that one knows when the time is right, when one can no longer bear all the pain and anguish, how it is affecting one's life etc. All major operations are scary and I think you have to have trust in your surgeon for starters. I am sure you will have many questions to ask him. It is not unusual to ask a surgeon how many replacements they have done and how many were successful. I had no need to ask my surgeon when having my first total knee replacement operation as in the 4 page document he gave me, well before the operation, explaining the procedure and so on, the answer to that question was given in one paragraph.

I hope it is not too difficult for you to come to a decision.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.