christmas traditions

Options
trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
edited 1. Dec 2009, 16:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
What do you do as a tradition in your home at Christmas?

Mine was every year, when in December, we would get the tree and decorations out.

We would sit on the floor, drinking hot hot chocolate, playing Christmas songs with the light out. We used to have a coal fire so that lit the room up.

All four of us did that.......we had a bauble for when each of the boys were born and each year 2 more baubles were added with the dates on.

Gosh, it is making me cry, now, My favourite song was Silent Night.I have a box full of baubles now, how prescious thay are now.

Trish xx

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We seem to do things a little differently to other families.

The children of the family don't get most of their presents on Christmas morning, but on Christmas afternoon. They get a stocking, of course, and are then allowed to choose one 'big' gift from the array under the tree.
    Once Christmas dinner is over and cleared away and all the adults have a cuppa in their hands, we have an enormous gift-giving ceremony. We end up with the room knee-deep in wrappings and everyone surrounded by gifts and goodies.

This apparently was started by my great-grandparents, who discovered that it gave them peace and quiet in the morning - all the children have something new to play with, and the threat (in those times) of being 'sent to your room' and not being able to attend the ceremony was enough to subdue even the most unruly child. They also got their P & Q in the afternoons after all the pressie-giving and could all fall asleep in the knowledge that all children were well occupied!

I continued this with my children and my eldest daughter is carrying on the same tradition.

Annie
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, we had 2 or 3, I had a brother and sister when nan made the xmas pudding, we all stirred the mixture 3 times from the oldest to the youngest, no xmas tree was put up until 24th and was not thrown out until 12th night, I still do this every year, we always went to midnight mass on xmas eve and still do, it is magical to me love Jaspercatxx
  • clickysticks
    clickysticks Member Posts: 14
    Options
    hi

Christmas really really really starts at the Christingle service - if you've never been GO! It's a beautiful service and the children love getting their oranges with the candles in them. Even my Mum loves going and she always says that if she set foot in church she'd be struck by lightning (Him Upstairs must be making an exception for her as she's avoided it so far lol!).

On Christmas night the kids get new jammies and put out whisky and carrots for santa (he gets fed up of milk!). My kids are unusual though, when they were little they were always up at 6.30 am, except Christmas morning when we always got a lie in until 9!!!!!!!! I can only assume they tried waiting up too long

haze x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    I remmber that now,

When the boys were excited, and could not wait for Santa to come, one of us was in their bedroom and the other downstairs.......we the one donwstairs used to ring a little bell ans the parent who was upstairs would tell them about The Christmas fairy coming to see if they were asleep.

It worked well, that.

I know that my son is carrying on the tree decorations with his son.

Trish xxxx