Multi-Faiths

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 6. Dec 2009, 07:00 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all,

As a Catholic I celebrate Christmas, but a friend of mine is a Jehovahs Witness who do not celebrate it at all.

Got me wondering about how other people celebrate Christmas, whether as a religeous festival or as a time to just have a whole load of fun.....

What is your faith and what do you do?

Jackie x

Comments

• maud48
    maud48 Member Posts: 170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My son in law is a Muslim so their 2 children are too although my daughter isn't. They always celebrate Christmas with us and are lucky as they get all the Muslim festivals as well (although I don't envy my son in law the montreh of fasting)
    maud
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Jackie I air on the side of the Pagans on this one seeming its the oldest religion of these Isle’s so the winter solstice is more important date for me, although I am C of E by birth, my wife will probably go to midnight mass where as I will probably in bed!. I will just have a few days off and then it’s back to the daily grind, I wont however be celebrating new years in any of the local pubs as the charge people an entry fee for the privilege the cheeky beggars.
  • mellman01
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    I am an agnostic pagan. I doubt the existence of many gods. :shock:

I'll change your mind rehab you come with me next time we have a gathering and we can both sit in an urt and eat these funny little mushrooms and then you will be able to meet the tree fairy and the water sprite that dwelleth in the local bog, or is that a bogwoppit??, I always get them mixed up!?, anyway it will all become clear as Hmmmm?, no thinking about it it wont!. well what the heck it's fun anyway. :mrgreen:
  • mellman01
    Options
    Oh yeah loads of mead buckets of the stuff, and young madens skipping naked through the forest offering their services for free!, mind you one of em dun arf look like a bloke and likes to be called Bernard so keep clear of that one, but apart from that it's great just don't pass out whatever you do, strange things happen when people do and it normally involves Berneard so I hear. :shock:
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, we are not really religious but make a point to go to midnight mass, over than that we like listening to carol concerts and relax a lot love Jaspercatxx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    mellman01 wrote:
    rehab44 wrote:
    I am an agnostic pagan. I doubt the existence of many gods. :shock:

I'll change your mind rehab you come with me next time we have a gathering and we can both sit in an urt and eat these funny little mushrooms and then you will be able to meet the tree fairy and the water sprite that dwelleth in the local bog, or is that a bogwoppit??, I always get them mixed up!?, anyway it will all become clear as Hmmmm?, no thinking about it it wont!. well what the heck it's fun anyway. :mrgreen:

I'm with rehab on this one, where's the next meet mellman I quite fancy a bit of mushroom and nubility. :lol:

Oh Delboy, I thought you were different from the rest :!: :!: :roll:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    We, as a family, only ever celebrated Christmas as an excuse to buy presents, and over indulge.

Changes in my life over the last year, have made me look at the Winter Solstice, as a more significant celebration.

My faith and beliefs took such a hammering.......Never can they be the same again.

This Christmas will be something so different from the last 35 years.......So looking at it with lots of trepidation...

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • joanlawson
    Options
    robertls wrote:
    We, as a family, only ever celebrated Christmas as an excuse to buy presents, and over indulge.

Changes in my life over the last year, have made me look at the Winter Solstice, as a more significant celebration.

My faith and beliefs took such a hammering.......Never can they be the same again.

This Christmas will be something so different from the last 35 years.......So looking at it with lots of trepidation...

Rob x

No, Rob, not trepidation, but anticipation :D
  • mellman01
    Options
    Well you lot can keep the midnight mass and mince pies and tails of a big fat kiddie fiddler coming down yer flippin chimney honestly reindeer that can go 3 times the speed of light, and they say I talk rubbish!?, look it's off to the woods for me rehab and delboy, the urt has been built the fire started the wenches told to be on standby and those little devilish mushrooms have been colleted by Bernard so it’s time to Parrrrrrtay boy’s after you with the mead rehab!. Oh just remember guys DON’T pass out or you could wake up with post traumatic shock curtsey of Bernard
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Well you lot can keep the midnight mass and mince pies and tails of a big fat kiddie fiddler coming down yer flippin chimney honestly reindeer that can go 3 times the speed of light, and they say I talk rubbish!?, look it's off to the woods for me rehab and delboy, the urt has been built the fire started the wenches told to be on standby and those little devilish mushrooms have been colleted by Bernard so it’s time to Parrrrrrtay boy’s after you with the mead rehab!. Oh just remember guys DON’T pass out or you could wake up with post traumatic shock curtsey of Bernard

Rites and rituals, just like any other religion - some are just more enjoyable than others!

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:

Which wenches are on standby :?: :?: Can I come :?: :?: :lol: I don't like the sound of Bernard though :!: :roll:
  • jackie1955
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    mellman01 wrote:
    Rites and rituals, just like any other religion - some are just more enjoyable than others! Annie

Well said Annie!

Oh Joan, Joan, Joan, what is happening to you? I think you are being too influenced by rehab these days :wink: I'd expected a 'sensible' answer from you at least!

Jackie x
  • mellman01
    Options
    Which wenches are on standby :?: :?: Can I come :?: :?: :lol: I don't like the sound of Bernard though :!: :roll:[/quote]

Yes by all means do come along Joan sit down by rehab, Bernards OK when he/her is sedated though :wink:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    annie_mial wrote:
    mellman01 wrote:
    Rites and rituals, just like any other religion - some are just more enjoyable than others! Annie

Well said Annie!

Oh Joan, Joan, Joan, what is happening to you? I think you are being too influenced by rehab these days :wink: I'd expected a 'sensible' answer from you at least!

Jackie x

Hi Jackie

Life is too short to be sensible all the time, don't you find :?: :?: I like being silly sometimes. Sorry :!: I will give a very serious reply as well.

Joan
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi Joan!

Yes, couldn't agree more :)

My DIL thinks I am quite a character! Says I act more like thirty-something than fifty+ ........... why should we be more 'sensible' as we age - I think getting older is a great excuse to get even more eccentric lol

luv Jackie x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I intend to grow old disgracefully :!: :!: :shock: :shock:
  • mellman01
    Options
    Rites and rituals, just like any other religion - some are just more enjoyable than others!

Annie

I'm with you on this one at least we have a good time and we are the one true religion of these iles's, and anythnig has got to be better than being a Christian especially a born again one. :mrgreen:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    My belief and faith in God is very strong. I think there is a life beyond this one, and many things have happened to me in my life which have strengthened my faith.

I was brought up in the Church of England, and that is where I remain, despite so many things which I don't agree with at the moment. The reluctance of the Church to accept women as bishops is one of them, and also the treatment of gay people in the church.

Joan
  • mellman01
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    My belief and faith in God is very strong. I think there is a life beyond this one, and many things have happened to me in my life which have strengthened my faith.

I was brought up in the Church of England, and that is where I remain, despite so many things which I don't agree with at the moment. The reluctance of the Church to accept women as bishops is one of them, and also the treatment of gay people in the church.

Joan

Then join us pagans Joan, were all equal and there's no prejudice whatsoever I mean we have Bernard and he/she's welcome!, well sort of?, just don't pass out or fall asleep near him/her!, Oh I've already mentioned that haven't I. :mrgreen:
  • mellman01
    edited 3. Dec 2009, 11:55
    Options
    It?s odd though isn?t if a little old chap wearing a little white collar and dark suit stops you in the street and say hello my son do you know god loves you and a lot of people would say how nice and religious he must be, yet the other day I was in Didcot high street( the first big mistake) wearing tin foil on me head and just harmlessly telling the locals that I have been in contact with aliens from the planet Thribble on my spam fritter radio and the good news is they also love us I lasted about 20 minutes, firstly I was assaulted by a pit bull toting hoddie (mistake two) he wasn?t interested in what the Thribbletairian people wanted me to tell him he was more interested in where I got the drugs from that he mistakenly thought I had just taken when BAM I get hit on the back of me head by a drug squad officer (mistake number three) and bitten by said pit bull, the next thing I know is I?m in a cell minus me cloths and me tin foil hat with this big butch copper sporting a lubricated rubber glove on his hand whilst two others held me down before he check me crown jewels and my tradesmans entrance for what he mysteriously called contraband, I mean how can the C of E get away with it yet I get goosed then sectioned!?. :?
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Jackie

I have friends although they live to far to help me. They are all mixed races.

We get on fine, send everyone a Christmas card, just careful what we write on it plus the front. We send cards with snow and a coach on the front.

They send me proper really nice Christmas cards.

Apart from that I try to send cards, when they Celebrate their festive breaks.

That applies to all my Foreign friends.

I think that if you have friends, that are not our faith, it does not matter, you are friends that is the most important point, not their faith.

I do have or did have a Jehovah cousin, due to my hubby's cousin. She met and married a Jehovah Witness.

She had 4 children, then was expecting her fifth baby. Some thing went wrong and she was bleeding to death.

The doctors pleaded with him, to allow an alternative to blood. He would not let them. They could have saved her, those doctors tried so hard.

She passed away. Even the doctors were upset. He left the hospital, and the baby there

Eventually, he came to see the baby boy, then took hime home.
    The baby had gronw up, has married himself now, and they are waiting for their son to be born

Trisher xx
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Thats very sad trisher.

Mellman can i come eat mushrooms with you, i have tin foil!!!!
  • mellman01
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Thats very sad trisher.

Wibble wibble yip yip twang, that's Thribble for yes you can!.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    page35 wrote:
    Thats very sad trisher.

Wibble wibble yip yip twang, that's Thribble for yes you can!.

hairy fairy pink fluffy ears, that is rubbish but rhymes with cheers.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I work with, and have friend who are, Jewish, Turkish, Moslem, Catholic, C of E, Hindi and probably more I've forgotten.
    The person I find the most difficult to understand comes from the Gorbals!
    .............and I'm going to throw a spanner in the works because I have a lot of respect for the Quakers..........I have read a good deal about them and a lot of it sounds like common-sense to me.

Annie