English reserve

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 3. Dec 2009, 16:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I saw in the paper last week that we should all be adopting the continental way of greeting each other by kissing on each cheek. Apparently, you are more likely to pass on swine flu if you shake hands with someone, rather than by embracing them or kissing them.

I decided to put this into practice this week, and I wondered what the reaction would be. I imagined that people might not like it, but I have found the opposite to be true. For the most part, people seem to like being hugged or kissed on the cheek, so I don't think the English reserve holds good any longer. I wasn't quite sure when I went to see the doctor though :!: :oops:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joan

Well, I don't know the answer to that one yet.

I'm remembering last week when I hugged and kissed the doctor, he just smiled.

It depends who you do it with. You carrying on testing this new way of greeting, if we see you with a black eye, we will know it is best not to do it :shock:

Trisher xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Trisher

I guess it always depends who you do it with :!: :lol:

I bet your doctor was really pleased when you kissed him. It must be lovely to give someone good news when you know that they have been waiting a long time for it.

Last week,I told my doctor that I trust him, and he looked really surprised, but pleased. Maybe doctors get taken for granted a lot of the time, so it is nice to tell them that we appreciate them sometimes.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joan,

Got to be honest here...... I am very reserved and would find the continental way a bit too in your face :oops: I think I might stick to shaking hands germs and all :wink::lol::lol: Cris x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Joan,

Got to be honest here...... I am very reserved and would find the continental way a bit too in your face :oops: I think I might stick to shaking hands germs and all :wink::lol::lol: Cris x

Hi Cris

I must say there are some people I would prefer not to have any physical contact with of any kind. However, with people I know and like, I find that they seem to like the continental way, once they get over the initial shock :!: :shock:

So you won't be hugging me if I come to Cornwall :?: :?:
    b008.gif
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Joan,

You didn't say people you know :lol::lol: I'll give you a hug if your down this way :D:lol::lol: x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    I would hug you Joan. :wink:

The world definately needs more hugs

f050.gif

Chris :wink:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Chris and Cris

Thank you. I would hug both of you too.
    d070.gif
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Joan and Chris,

The world does need that :D I would hug you both as well cus I jnow you and I am only warey of people I don't know. xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thanks Cris

And a big hug from Tommy Tucker too

k040.gif
  • trisher
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Thanks Cris

k040.gif

Joan

Is that what Tommy Tucker looks like?
    I'll give you a hug as well.

love Trisher xx
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi

I saw in the paper last week that we should all be adopting the continental way of greeting each other by kissing on each cheek. Apparently, you are more likely to pass on swine flu if you shake hands with someone, rather than by embracing them or kissing them.

I decided to put this into practice this week, and I wondered what the reaction would be. I imagined that people might not like it, but I have found the opposite to be true. For the most part, people seem to like being hugged or kissed on the cheek, so I don't think the English reserve holds good any longer. I wasn't quite sure when I went to see the doctor though :!: :oops:

Joan

Oh dear Joan.......................any excuse for a 'snog' eh?????

Rob x h035.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Rob

Yes, but no, but yes, but no, but...........................

Thanks for the kiss, anyway :!:

f020.gif
  • joanlawson
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:
    Thanks Cris

k040.gif

Joan

Is that what Tommy Tucker looks like?
    I'll give you a hug as well.

love Trisher xx

Hi Trisher

Tommy is tabby and white, so more handsome than this picture. I'm going to try to put a link to some photos, so you will be able to see him ( and me! )

I would give you a hug every time I saw you, Trisher.

(((((((((( )))))))))))))
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    My friends and I are big huggers and the more they drink they more huggy they get. Not being a drinker I can clock the hugs getting more intimate!
    Now last week when I went on a rare night out I was very huggy as some of my friends I dont get to see very often. But I think I got a bit carried away as I was feeling very happy and glad to see them.
    Now the ones I dont like are the ones who sit on my lap.They dont seem to understand that it hurts and although I try to explain they just dont get it.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth, with sore knees.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Sitting on knees is perhaps carrying things a bit far, although it depends who is doing the sitting.

I must say I felt rather embarrassed yesterday when I hugged a chap at my art class, and he was so surprised that he nearly fell over :!: :lol:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Come here Joan u015.gif

Wow :!: :!: :!: :lol::lol::lol:
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Although close, my family were never very touchy-feely. But certainly in the last few years I have become much more tactile with family and close friends.

Oh, how I wish I had given my late Mum and Dad lots of hugs cuddles. Too late now.

I KNOW! Lets all make an extra effort to hug someone TODAY :)

Here, you lot s024.gif Jackie x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thanks Jackie

I'm glad you don't disapprove of me entirely :!: :lol::lol:

Yes, I agree with you , I also regret that I didn't hug my late Mum and Dad more, but I make up for it with my own children.

Right, so our slogan for today is HUG SOMEONE TODAY :!: :!: :!:

I will start with you

h050.gif

Joan
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    I'm a hugger and a kisser. If I meet friends or family it's always a kiss and a cuddle. Close work mates also get a hug.

Anne
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Our family is not particularly touchy-feely. From the time I turned 14, my father shook my hand when necessary, but he was a man of his generation - the good old British stiff upper lip!
    I've made up for it with my daughters and grandchildren, but hubby's family were the same and he's never loosened up. I think he's too old a dog to learn new tricks now; I still find it difficult sometimes when we are out, he's reluctant to give me the help I need in public - i.e. helping me in and out of chairs, up and down steps, etc.
    Anyone any ideas? Mind you, since I've become gradually worse over the last few months, next time it happens I'm just going to sit/stand there and shout.
    Absolutely no problems at home!

Annie
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Well once I was having a good old mushroom powered nubile wench chasing evening wiv me druid mates in the local forest and it got a bit dark, well what I though I had cornered was a dusky lass ready for a bit of druid japery this being indicated by a lot of deep breathing, so I lunged grabbed, and then all I remember is a smell akin to road kill and that was it, yep you got it I had grabbed Bernard, look lets just say I suffer post traumatic stress when ever someone gets hold of me from behind.
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    annebr wrote:
    I'm a hugger and a kisser. If I meet friends or family it's always a kiss and a cuddle. Close work mates also get a hug.

Anne
    What about Forum Buddies :D

Rehab,

An extra special hug and kiss for you as you always make me laugh!

Anne
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Joan

I think some doctors do get rude people when he maybe, not be able to help sometimes. They are only human, as we are.

Some people may be rude to them as well.

I have found, nearly all my doctors to be nice, as helpful as they can be.

My hubbby,s doctors have been so kind and helpful to him and myself.

When I go to visit, they always ask how I'm getting on, do I need anything to help me. They have always looked after my hubby well and helped me though a difficult time.

Trisher xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Hi Joan

I think some doctors do get rude people when he maybe, not be able to help sometimes. They are only human, as we are.

Some people may be rude to them as well.

I have found, nearly all my doctors to be nice, as helpful as they can be.

My hubbby,s doctors have been so kind and helpful to him and myself.

When I go to visit, they always ask how I'm getting on, do I need anything to help me. They have always looked after my hubby well and helped me though a difficult time.

Trisher xx

That is good to hear, Trisher. I always make a point of thanking doctors for their kindness, because I think many people just take it for granted, and think it is their job.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Well once I was having a good old mushroom powered nubile wench chasing evening wiv me druid mates in the local forest and it got a bit dark, well what I though I had cornered was a dusky lass ready for a bit of druid japery this being indicated by a lot of deep breathing, so I lunged grabbed, and then all I remember is a smell akin to road kill and that was it, yep you got it I had grabbed Bernard, look lets just say I suffer post traumatic stress when ever someone gets hold of me from behind.

Hi Mell

You are mad :!: :!: :shock: But I will hug you anyway
    h025.gif