calling slpw cooker fans

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 4. Dec 2009, 11:00 in Community Chit-chat archive
HI,

Determined not to rant, but need your help please
due to 'circumstances beyond my control' :x :x :x :x our Christmas plans have been thrown in the bin. :shock:

I may need to come up with a way of cooking Crimbo dinner using nothing more than a simple microwave and electric hob, together with anything I can carry with me in the car from home.

My recipe book says that it is possible to cook (roast?) a whole chicken in the slow cooker ...... anyone ever tried it?

Any tips on how to manage gratefully received!

Comments

• minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi , oh dear, we pre cook the veg then pop 3 bowls in microwave together to reheat ( i put all 3 on for about 8 mins then they pipping hot) in plastic micro wave proof bowls.
    stuffing can be reheated, pigs in blankets & roast potatoes etc.

dont know if thats any help, ive not done a chicken in the slow cooker. have done a pheasent though & that cooked ok,but the vegs didnt cook that well in with it.
    hope it goes well.
    luv debs
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    thanks - hadn't thought of cooking & reheating the spuds & sausages - could do that I suppose.

what I would give to be able to transport my kitchen to where it will be needed ....... will have to make do ......... grrrrr
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi, being nosey here but why cant you use your kitchen.
    You dont have to answer,just being nosey as i said.
    I have to reheat & i also slice the meat,put it in gravy,pop foil over it & reheat in the oven,but i dont think thats an option for you.
    I have to feed the 500 at xmas ( not real ) :wink:
    debs
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    minky67 wrote:
    Hi, being nosey here but why cant you use your kitchen.
    You dont have to answer,just being nosey as i said.
    I have to reheat & i also slice the meat,put it in gravy,pop foil over it & reheat in the oven,but i dont think thats an option for you.
    I have to feed the 500 at xmas ( not real ) :wink:
    debs

have sent you a PM - dont' want to go into it on here :wink:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

I hope your plans haven't changed for a bad reason. You can microwave chicken, it comes out pale but you can get some stuff hat brown it for you as well. You can also do chicken in a slow cooker but it again does brow off but is less pale than a microwave. All this is years ago but I have used both for chicken. Roast spuds you would be better to do them at home cus they don't work in a micro.

Luv sneaky slurps and ((( ))) Cris x
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    all this talk of cooking is making me hungry now!

seriously thanks guys .... I am sure it will feel better in the cold light of day, but I hate last minute 'make do' things.

I can feel a big cookathon coming on ...... will have to try it out first - good job hubby loves his roast dinners :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

I think it works better in a microwave bag thing. I wish I could remember but its over 10 years since I did it. Have you got a combo microwave there? That does brown things off and will do roast spuds as well. I really hope its not as bad as you think it will be. ((( ))) Cris xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Wonky,

I think it works better in a microwave bag thing. I wish I could remember but its over 10 years since I did it. Have you got a combo microwave there? That does brown things off and will do roast spuds as well. I really hope its not as bad as you think it will be. ((( ))) Cris xx

dad doesn't do technology :wink::lol::lol: so his microwave is the opposite of ours ...... we can brown, bake, grill etc but his is just micro only. Cooker broken, only hob works.

I love a challenge :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

thanks a lot - you have enough on your plate :oops: oops did I really say that :wink::lol:
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    The first thing you do with a cooked whole chicken is cut it up. So in the circumstances chicken pieces are just as good. You can always buy precooked pieces which just need reheating through, (they must be very hot right through for safety and only reheated once).

Beg/Borrow a gas barbecue with a lid, (easy to use), and wear warm clothes, find a sheltered spot and cook the chicken pieces outdoors. Someone has already commented on how to sort the veggies. Ask a man to prove how tough he is and you won't get him back in until all is well cooked, whatever the weather.
    r040.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi Wonkylegs

I have cooked a gammon joint in there and a beef roast. Does it beautifully. I think you will be ok don't worry. I cooked a whole Christmas Dinner in, microwave, electric saucepan, slow cooker and we had one of those little table top cookers. Talk about improvising but did manage it.

Joy
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    Beg/Borrow a gas barbecue with a lid, (easy to use), and wear warm clothes, find a sheltered spot and cook the chicken pieces outdoors. Someone has already commented on how to sort the veggies. Ask a man to prove how tough he is and you won't get him back in until all is well cooked, whatever the weather.
    r040.gif

Joseph 8)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

thanks Joseph, you can't know how much you put a smile on my face with your sensible (but hillarious) suggestion :wink:

My hubby is totally not into DIY & all traditional male pursuits - he is more likely to kill us than feed us :wink::lol::lol::lol: and can only use power tools (of any kind) under strict supervision :lol::lol::lol:

thanks everyone for your help - I will manage I know, just the thought of rejigging everything so quickly was giving me nightmares.

Delboy - that is certainly an option, but with limited boot space and a dog occupying the back seat of the car, not sure even if we could manage to remove/shift it that there would be room for it - will def think it through though - certainly would be easier than dad's microwave
  • lottiefox
    lottiefox Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Hiya,

I've done several roasts in the slow cooker and they are lovely. I'd suggest a turkey crown or chicken that you can just leave to cook really slowly and it will be gorgeous, they cook with far more moisture than in the normal oven and it doesn't matter if they stay in a bit longer - unlike the oven where they suddenly turn into dust like a Star Wars baddie when zapped with a light sabre if they get overdone!

Slow cookers are also fab for curries.....I'm hungry now!

Lottie xx 8)
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    What does Google say?.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Hi Wonky, I'm a big fan of slow cookers and I've used mine for just about everything.
    Stews, chicken, turkey, beef, lamb (I parboil the potatoes and put them in with the lamb and some rosemary sprigs - delicious) steak and kidney; for just the two of us I can do a main meal and a dessert at the same time by putting a couple of apples with brown sugar and whatever in a basin in the cooker with whatever else. I let it all cook on the lowest heat overnight.
    We love pork cooked with apples.

I'm getting hungry and I've just eaten; but we prefer this way of cooking to roasting now, and I don't know how I'd manage without my slow cooker.
    It's true that the meat doesn't get browned, but to us that's a small price to pay for something that tastes so good and is much more moist.

Annie