Autumn's Harvest

Options
robertls
robertls Member Posts: 2,304
edited 5. Dec 2009, 02:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
So what 'wild food' have you harvested this year??

Blackberries???

I eat a lot of 'wild food' .....Not only hedgerow fruits, but also 'fin, fur and feather'.

I'm still getting loads of field mushrooms........huge...and meal in themselves.

Now we've had a good frost I'm getting a good supply of Sloe's....

Got nearly a gallon of 'Sloe Gin' in the airing cupboard.....be good next year.............even better in 3 years time.

Got a nice wild goose for Christmas day.

Friend dropped me in some Cod and Pollack he caught Wednesday..

Son brought 4 rabbits in last week-end.....

Proper food all this.....only addative some of this had was a carefully aimed bullet.....

Best food available......

Rob x
Roba045.gif

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wow Rob!
    What a forager you are!
    Don't forget we need some sloe gin to 'cure' us all :wink:
    Only had blackberries - wild this year and that is it. Don't eat meat so no-one would donate any bodies to me :wink::wink::wink:
    The others eat meat though only me who is odd....
    Now if I knew what mushrooms were safe - that I WOULD do - I love mushrooms :)
    Well done to you I say!
    Toni x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Anything I'm capable of getting! Which wasn't much either this year or last year. But before that, I could find blackberries, mulberries, sloes, apples and wild damsons. We very occasionally now get given a rabbit, but there are lots of farms round here who sell their own meat and I know them all! Anybody else like mutton?
    Much tastier than lamb, if you can get it.

I make sloe gin, but have often made damson gin as well, and the remains go into what the family calls 'alcoholic pie'.

However, there are not many 'natives' left round these parts, and next year we will be gone ourselves................but the first thing I will be doing is checking round to see what's 'free'. To the best of my ability, of course.

Annie
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Rob do you put a nip of brandy in your sloe gin?, I do and it makes it a little more full flavoured, oh went out last night down the ratting hot spot not a flippin rat anywhere maybe it's global warming?. :wink:
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi,I was brought up in the country.So the wild fruits & fowl,rabbits & homegrown vegs i grew up with.
    As we live on a housing estate now we get given pheasant ,parridge,hare,rabbit & venison.
    we know some1 that likes shooting but wouldnt skin them.so we get them. Not complaining.
    when i was bringing up my girls we lived on a farm too,so we took them out blackberrying,collecting every hedge row freebee for pies,crumbles & wine. had our own veg patch & fruit trees.Also had chickens,ducks & geese.Only for the eggs. but 2 cockerels did end up on the plate.

I was always busy,cooking & collecting. Never knew enough about the mushrooms to take them home,i know what a toadstool is just.
    debs
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    minky67 wrote:
    Hi,I was brought up in the country.So the wild fruits & fowl,rabbits & homegrown vegs i grew up with.
    As we live on a housing estate now we get given pheasant ,parridge,hare,rabbit & venison.
    we know some1 that likes shooting but wouldnt skin them.so we get them. Not complaining.
    when i was bringing up my girls we lived on a farm too,so we took them out blackberrying,collecting every hedge row freebee for pies,crumbles & wine. had our own veg patch & fruit trees.Also had chickens,ducks & geese.Only for the eggs. but 2 cockerels did end up on the plate.

I was always busy,cooking & collecting. Never knew enough about the mushrooms to take them home,i know what a toadstool is just.
    debs

Did you barter much. When I lived in the country, it was the norm.
    Have lived very much in the country though more rural life now.
    I cant go picking blackberries anymore. As all the places that I know of which are the best places, all are being built on. We have to go quite a long way now,
    joy