Are northerners more " friendly " than southerners

Options
robertls
robertls Member Posts: 2,304
edited 5. Dec 2009, 16:25 in Community Chit-chat archive
I personaly don't agree to this theory. You can get a grumpy old **** in Manchester, as you could get in Hackney or somewhere. I think its an individual thing, about the person you meet.
Incidently, the friendliest place and people Iv'e ever been to is a place called Rochdale. It's a really awful place that you can't wait to get out of, a real dump, depressing, rat hole..... But the people there are very strange and cheerful, and even though most of them are poor, they seem happy......... very strange, Alanmancunian.

Hi Alan......

1st issue.........where do you define as north??

North of where??.....Bedford

Over the years I've met some miserable burgers pretty well everywhere..

And some very nice people in the most unexpected places.

Rob x
Roba045.gif

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think you can get people like that where ever you go. I know people all over and they have been nice people.

Trisher x
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi Rob, as a fellow bedfordian are there any happy people left down there.
    my parents still live there ( miserable ) Aunty ( miserable) the rest have moved away.
    I thought it was now renamed poundtown. :wink: last time i looked at the town centre. :lol:

I spent a weekend in Ackrinton & because they all thought i was a londener i had drinks brought me all night. Made a hasty retreat at the end of the night.
    wouldnt get that in Bedford more like a blackeye at the end of the night.

Im now in middle ground. :wink:
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi

Perhaps I am biased because I grew up in Yorkshire, and I know that it doesn't apply to everyone, but I do think people in the North are more open and friendly in general. It seems to be part of the culture that we speak to people in any situation, and Yorkshire hospitality is well known.

My daughter, and both my nieces, never lived in the north, but they have all had the sense to marry Yorkshiremen.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Alan

Yes it is a bit of a loaded question eh!
    I was born in Suffolk, raised in Cheshire, studied in Newcastle and have spent the last 25 in Yorkshire. There have been friendly people in all of them and some less so :?

Have to say tho' I have never met a Geordie I didn't like
    Whey-aye man :lol:

Chris :wink:
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    As a southerner with a Welsh background, married to a Northener for a very long time, I've no problem with either! My only complaint has always been that they shout up there! I come back deafened every time we go up to visit.

Annie
  • pheebs
    pheebs Member Posts: 202
    Options
    I think people are the same no matter where you're from. You get good and bad everywhere, it's just your luck who you meet at any particular time.

I'm Scottish and proud of it, have friends in Surrey who are more like family (and I enjoy visiting that area), and my older son lives in Milton Keynes and he has met lots of nice people.

Haven't been to Wales or Northern Ireland, but know people from N.I and they couldn't be nicer.

Pheebs x
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    I have lived in the UK for 10 years and still can't tell if people are from the north or the south by their accents so everyone is the same to me (unless they have the hide to called me a convict -it has happened, grr!). I have found the UK to be a really friendly place on the whole, and have found people to be particularly friendly when within smaller communities/towns.

I live in London and sometimes find people to be pretty unpleasant when out and about in town, I think that it stems from everyone having a different background and also the anonimity a large city affords.

A x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    well born in sherborne dorset but live in nottinghamshire now so have spent time with both and think it about the same there r grumps in both the north and south and nice people as well. so nothing to choose between them
    val
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi

I am a Londoner, so Hello, I still think you can get good and bad wherever you go.

I have met people from Yorkshire and we got on fine the whole holiday. The next holiday we went back to Malta, and met up again, and had a good holiday.

Trisher xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    londeners great uncle lives croydon he great and always meet loads of lovely people when go to visit
    val
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    Sorry I've been out all day,
    Yeh, looking at the replies, it seems all so very friendly. I think some resentment was about 20 years ago, when Harry Enfield was giving it " LOADS OF MONEEEEEY " sort of thing, while a lot of northerners were on the dole starving.
    These days, I think most people get on with each other, it must be a very British sort of thing.
    I would consider anywhere north of Crewe,( a major railway exchange point ) a northerner.Alanmancunian

Hell...............Crewe.........Scittish borders isn't it??
    Roba045.gif