Foods to avoid on Humira

Options
harmony
harmony Member Posts: 37
edited 5. Dec 2009, 15:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All knowledgable ones,
I know that while on Humira I am suppose to avoid foods like, pate, mayo, and brie, (all my fav's :( ) but can I eat cream cheese?
Answers on a postcard please :)
Thanks all
Harmony

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Pretty certain they told me not to touch soft cheese. By the way I still eat pate because I like it. I am not sure about shellfish though. I avoid it nowadays.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • harmony
    harmony Member Posts: 37
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Pretty certain they told me not to touch soft cheese. By the way I still eat pate because I like it. I am not sure about shellfish though. I avoid it nowadays.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Thanks, I'll try a small amount and see what happens. Know I felt really bad after I forgot about the mayo :cry: but the food was worth it :D
    Harmony
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    The reason you have to avoid foods is because of the risk of bacteria. You should avoid anything with live bacteria, moulds or raw meat/egg in them.

Most shop bought mayo is actually ok because the eggs used have been pasturised. Fresh mayo is not good because it uses raw egg yolk.

So, pate, fresh egg based sauces, mould ripened cheeses, unpasturised milk (and cheeses made from the milk) are all out.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I'll be good for the rest of the year, but I'm not going without my Stilton at Christmas!

Annie