Newly Diagnosed

emski87
emski87 Member Posts: 4
edited 4. Mar 2010, 08:24 in Young people's community
Hi

I have been diagnosed with athritus in my hand and wrist recently, and am struggling to come round to the idea.

I know,now, that it doesn't just affect older people and it can occur in all ages.

Just looking around for some support from somewhere as I am really struggling with work as well. Not sure what I can do with regards to work, I'm a data manager at a secondary school. so I am using the computer all day and I am in constant pain. (so technically shouldn't be on this forum haha)

x

Comments

• wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi emski,

You could ask to see an occupational therapist. They can give you splints which might help you. There are also other things you can get to help you like a tracker ball mouse (I think that’s what they’re called).

Have you got any problems anywhere else or is it just your hands? And are you taking anything for the pain?

I don't work so I don't really know how they can help you, I'm sorry.

Sally.
  • emski87
    emski87 Member Posts: 4
    wallysatt wrote:
    Hi emski,

You could ask to see an occupational therapist. They can give you splints which might help you. There are also other things you can get to help you like a tracker ball mouse (I think that’s what they’re called).

Have you got any problems anywhere else or is it just your hands? And are you taking anything for the pain?

Sally.

Hi

Thanks for the reply

What is a track ball mouse? My docter did mention it to me, but not sure what they are really and how they might help ?

It's just my right hand and wrist, nowhere else.

Just on ibruprofen for the pain, just about takes the edge off, but I can't take that for the rest of my life haha

xxx
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    It's a mouse that is stationary and you rotate the wheel to move the curser around instead of moving your whole hand. I got mine from amazon and I find the one where you use your thumb is the best for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about taking medication because if you need it then you should have it. Although I do understand where you're coming from.

Sally.
  • shannonsmum
    shannonsmum Member Posts: 68
    Hi Emski87,

Sorry to hear you are in pain....when my little girl was first diagnosed they put her on Ibruprofen for the swelling and paracetamol for the pain, she was on a higher dose than normal to, she was on it for quite sometime so maybe think about trying both especially as its so cold and its sure to make the pain worse!! Hope you get some help and advice here, it has truely helped me with helping my little girl.

Take Care
    Sam
    xx

emski87 wrote:
    wallysatt wrote:
    Hi emski,

Sally.

Hi

Thanks for the reply

What is a track ball mouse? My docter did mention it to me, but not sure what they are really and how they might help ?

It's just my right hand and wrist, nowhere else.

Just on ibruprofen for the pain, just about takes the edge off, but I can't take that for the rest of my life haha

xxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Welcome! I'm glad you found us, although I'm sorry to hear you have arthritis. I'm 21 and I've just been diagnosed. I find the pain in my wrists very hard to deal with. Have you had any physio?

All the best.
    Sophie x
  • stacey
    stacey Member Posts: 3
    princess01 wrote:
    Welcome! I'm glad you found us, although I'm sorry to hear you have arthritis. I'm 21 and I've just been diagnosed. I find the pain in my wrists very hard to deal with. Have you had any physio?

All the best.
    Sophie x :)
  • stacey
    stacey Member Posts: 3
    I have recently been diagnosed with lumbar arthritis of the spine, and know what you are going through. So so painful. Found out in september and looking for people to chat to.
  • martina
    martina Member Posts: 14
    stacey wrote:
    I have recently been diagnosed with lumbar arthritis of the spine, and know what you are going through. So so painful. Found out in september and looking for people to chat to.
    HI ive got arthritis in all joints but found in my spine is my worse place,any splints used on wrists OT say no longer than 2 hours other wise you stiffen up to much(have 2 agree)trying to come to term with things still only newly diagnosed myself. I have found already though its what works for you, trial and error with things, martina