No school today

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 18. Dec 2009, 07:29 in Community Chit-chat archive
One sons schoolhas been cancelled due to the snow.Roads are clear here but few inches of snow on the pavements.
The other sons school is open and he is not amused.Waiting to hear about daughters school,
Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It all comes down to Health and Safety. Should anyone slip in the playground. Helps the teacher clear up earlier for Christmas I suppose. Then they will have at least 2 training days before next term to add on.
    Sorry if anyone is a teacher here. For mothers who have to be at work and have to arrange extra expensive childcare, it is not good.

I can remember getting to school in 3ft high snow drifts. We use to slide round the playground. HAD snowball fights. sat in damp clothes. we son dried off. We are growing into a nation of wimps

joy
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi all

Sons school cancelled as he has to travel about 8 miles by mini bus.It is a special needs school and they need a higher ratio of staff per pupil and it isthe staff who cant get in.A lot of them live in High Wycombe area, one towards Oxford and also Slough.
    Other son only has a half day too.
    I planned to wrap their presents today while they were out!And decorate that tree whic h I havent had energy to do yet.
    Jan are you glad you havent got to drag out today or are you working later?
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth[/b]

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    Options
    I (and my friends) were counting on a snow day today - but we havent seen any snow :(
    We all went to the sixth form christmas party at school and feel a little rough this morning!!!!

Hope the kids are quiet today and help us poor teachers out!!
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi
    Have you got to work today?Last day of school is the day you get all the presents.My son has 4 teachers so 4 boxes of chocs wont get delivered after all cos school was cancelled.
    Take care all you teachers!
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi

It always amazes me these days how schools close as soon as there is snow. It is certainly a modern phenomenon.

I remember struggling in to school in all weathers in the past. It once took me nearly two hours to do a normally 20 minute journey, and when I finally arrived, only 5 children arrived in my class. But I didn't mind, because those 5 were much better off in school than they ever were at home.

Regarding teacher training days, teachers have a huge workload these days, mainly meeting the demands for more and more paperwork dictated by Ofsted etc. If anyone thinks that teachers have an easy life, let them try it for a week. I know many teachers who often don't have the time to stop for a lunch break.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    My girls are all at school, the snow fall's not that bad in Derby. I feel sorry for those who've had to arrange childcare at the last minute, it must be very expensive and inconvenient. I remember being at school in all weathers too. I also remember one memorable year in primary school when the heating broke down and we all had to wear our coats in the classrooms to keep warm!

I'm Chair of Governors at the girls' school and I agree, they do work hard and a lot of it is paperwork and meeting targets - not why most of them got into teaching in the first place. I think it's unfair, it's taking away time spent with the children.

Nx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Delboy

You have first hand understanding of a teacher's lot these days.

The government initiatives and target based performance indicators are killing the job.

( quote from Delboy)

The trouble is that the government have constantly moved the goal posts since the National Curriculum was introduced.

There have been so many changes and new initiatives since then, and the last people they ever consult are the teachers who have the task of delivering them all.

Why does anyone want to be a teacher :?: It is because we feel a genuine vocation to work with children, and to have the joy of educating them. Anyone without that vocation wouldn't last two minutes.

But the government has taken away so much valuable time when we could be working with the children, and made us waste it on stupid paperwork etc.

My daughter is in charge of early years at her school, and she has to practically write a book on each child when they start school. She would rather spend the time with the children.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Despite starting work at 7.30 am planning and marking and not getting away until 6pm i can honestly say i love my job and becoming a teacher in a secondary school is the best choice i ever made :)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

Hope you can sneak the tree and the present wrap in somehow. Its unpredictable as to them closing or not isn't it?

We don't often get snow but we got some in the spring, some real stuff not the gone by mid day stuff :wink: and the schools got caught out. The Dutchy is very rural and a lot of kids and teachers had to spend the night in the class rooms so I think ours now will close if one flake is seen.

Stay warm and I really hope you can do some sneaky wrapping an tree decorating. Cris x

Hi Miss I,

Hope your soon recovered :wink:
  • tkachev
    Options
    I did it, I wrapped 2 kids pressies.Only the shared presents and Daniels and the family to do now!That is an absolute first for years.It gets in the feet and back and I am having a break at the moment.
    Jan I used to feel I was not making an effort, letting them all down when my R.A was horrendous.It is really upsetting isnt it?I had to rely on the OH to buy the presents and he isnt very good at that.Always came home saying he couldnt find this or that.Once wrapped all the gifts I was planning to return to the shops after Chistmas!
    I will tackle the tree after the presents Skezier!Hope you are well.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    If it wasn't for my friend Arthur and the amount of paperwork we now have to do I think I may still be teaching.

One of the many reasons I made the decision to resign as Head of my little school was because I was doing over 100 hour weeks! :shock: I admit that some of that was my doing because I was a perfectionist (only at school) and I felt I had to put in that much work because the children deserved it but I was also under an enormous amount of pressure to perform for Ofsted. The quantity of 'evidence' we had to collate to prove our worth was mind boggling. In February Ofsted graded us as 'Outstanding' and after that I decided I had made my mark and made the move to resign.

Had it not been for walking into a class of children each day I think I would have crumbled along time ago. Bless there cotton socks! I miss them everyday!

A x
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Delboy

You have first hand understanding of a teacher's lot these days.

The government initiatives and target based performance indicators are killing the job.

( quote from Delboy)

The trouble is that the government have constantly moved the goal posts since the National Curriculum was introduced.

There have been so many changes and new initiatives since then, and the last people they ever consult are the teachers who have the task of delivering them all.

Why does anyone want to be a teacher :?: It is because we feel a genuine vocation to work with children, and to have the joy of educating them. Anyone without that vocation wouldn't last two minutes.

But the government has taken away so much valuable time when we could be working with the children, and made us waste it on stupid paperwork etc.

My daughter is in charge of early years at her school, and she has to practically write a book on each child when they start school. She would rather spend the time with the children.

Joan