newby

Options
bryan1957
bryan1957 Member Posts: 8
edited 20. Dec 2009, 05:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had the same symptoms as me.It started 5 weeks ago with pain in the wrist, after approx 3 hours the wrist had swollen up and felt as if i had broken it, the swelling and pain was gone after approx 3 days. Since then i have had the same in both wrists, both knees, one shoulder and both ankles. Doc has signed me on the sick for the last 5 weeks he thinks its fleeting arthritis, in between attacks i am fine with no symptoms apart from the odd ache, i can be fine for up to 6 days between attacks,i am 52 yrs old and I am due to see a RA consultant in january.Ps i have suffered with many broken bones in the past due to accidents. Thanks
:?:

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bryan
    Sorry I cant help...I just wanted to say welcome to the madhouse LOL.....Someone will be able to answer your question....Good Luck with your appointment and have a great Christmas

Love
    Hileena
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Mmmm. I can't help either on this one, Bryan, but stick with it and someone will be along shortly.......hello and welcome, join us on the other forum for some Christmas madness if it suits you!

Annie
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    bryan1957 wrote:
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had the same symptoms as me.It started 5 weeks ago with pain in the wrist, after approx 3 hours the wrist had swollen up and felt as if i had broken it, the swelling and pain was gone after approx 3 days. Since then i have had the same in both wrists, both knees, one shoulder and both ankles. Doc has signed me on the sick for the last 5 weeks he thinks its fleeting arthritis, in between attacks i am fine with no symptoms apart from the odd ache, i can be fine for up to 6 days between attacks,i am 52 yrs old and I am due to see a RA consultant in january.Ps i have suffered with many broken bones in the past due to accidents. Thanks

Until you see the consultant and have blood tests, (which may be negative anyway), there is really no way to be sure what is causing your problem. If it all gets too much then you could contact your GP to ask about painkillers.

While we may try to diagnose your problem online, we could never be sure that we were correct. All we can really offer is sympathy and friendship. If you read some of the threads, then it may help that others have similar problems to you.

Remember that this is a public forum which is accessed by children. Reading some of the threads should give you a feel for what is posted on here. A look at the Chit-Chat forum and a few postings on there may help, at least until you get more info on what you have. We don't worry about new people posting, we were all new on here once.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • bryan1957
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Bryan
    Sorry I cant help...I just wanted to say welcome to the madhouse LOL.....Someone will be able to answer your question....Good Luck with your appointment and have a great Christmas

Love
    Hileena
    Thanks anyway hileena, you have a good christmas to.
  • bryan1957
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Mmmm. I can't help either on this one, Bryan, but stick with it and someone will be along shortly.......hello and welcome, join us on the other forum for some Christmas madness if it suits you!

Annie

Thanks annie, you have a great christmas
  • bryan1957
    Options
    bryan1957 wrote:

Until you see the consultant and have blood tests, (which may be negative anyway), there is really no way to be sure what is causing your problem. If it all gets too much then you could contact your GP to ask about painkillers.

While we may try to diagnose your problem online, we could never be sure that we were correct. All we can really offer is sympathy and friendship. If you read some of the threads, then it may help that others have similar problems to you.

Remember that this is a public forum which is accessed by children. Reading some of the threads should give you a feel for what is posted on here. A look at the Chit-Chat forum and a few postings on there may help, at least until you get more info on what you have. We don't worry about new people posting, we were all new on here once.

Thanks for the reply joseph, you have yourself a good christmas.

Joseph 8)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Bryan

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that you have lots of pain and that you have been signed off sick. I hope your appointment with a rheumy is in early January so that you can get some answers to questions failry soon. I have heard that arthritis can set in after accidents to joints etc.

I hope you will let us know how you get on and in the meantime, look after yourself and please join in with us should you so wish.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bryan1957
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Bryan

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that you have lots of pain and that you have been signed off sick. I hope your appointment with a rheumy is in early January so that you can get some answers to questions failry soon. I have heard that arthritis can set in after accidents to joints etc.

I hope you will let us know how you get on and in the meantime, look after yourself and please join in with us should you so wish.

Luv
    Elna x

Thanks Elna, will do, i hope you have a good christmas.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Bryan,

Welcome from me as well. My wrist did that but now they tend to stay at some degree of swollen, I have pa and its got a particular hold on my wrists. See if you can get some anti inflammatories from the doctor if you haven't already, it might help? Good luck and I hope it will soon settle down. Take care Cris
  • bryan1957
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Bryan,

Welcome from me as well. My wrist did that but now they tend to stay at some degree of swollen, I have pa and its got a particular hold on my wrists. See if you can get some anti inflammatories from the doctor if you haven't already, it might help? Good luck and I hope it will soon settle down. Take care Cris

Thanks for getting back to me chris, i have got some anti inflammatories, i was prescribed DICLOFLEX, they help a little.
    Hope you have a good christmas and take care.
    Bryan
  • harmony
    harmony Member Posts: 37
    Options
    bryan1957 wrote:
    Hi Bryan,
    My RA was dormant until I had a very bad fall and damaged my knee. That was the start of it for me. But as others have said here, blood tests are the only way to confirm as well as seeing the consultant. Take care and have a pain free Christmas.
    Harmony :)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Bryan
    Welcome to the forum and hope we can be of use.
    My R.A started after jumping on a trampoline.My knees swelled up and within days it had spread to my ribs so it felt like someone was sitting on me!Diagnosed with R.A a year later.
    I had little signs previously, tennis elbows and my jaw went funny so couldnt eat very well.
    When/if diagnosed you will be offered various mediation and that should help with the inflammation and joint damage.
    Please post with any questions as I am sure you will have many things to ask.There is always someone with familiar problems and advice on how they were treated,

Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi Bryan,Welcome to the forum.My OA and RA started in the thumbs and wrists then it also appeared in the top of the arms,knees and neck.At first it wasn't too bad and I would go a week or so with no pain or swelling but a year ago it got a lot worse when both feet swelled up and I could hardly walk. :( However,since being on Hydroxychloroquine things have got a bit better.You could ask your GP about pain killers until you get an appointment with the rheumy clinic.At first I was put on anti inflamatories with a stomach protector plus a course of steroids and that got rid of the pain and swelling almost overnight but it's not a cure.Hope you will get more help from your GP. Breane. :)
  • bryan1957
    Options
    breane wrote:
    Hi Bryan,Welcome to the forum.My OA and RA started in the thumbs and wrists then it also appeared in the top of the arms,knees and neck.At first it wasn't too bad and I would go a week or so with no pain or swelling but a year ago it got a lot worse when both feet swelled up and I could hardly walk. :( However,since being on Hydroxychloroquine things have got a bit better.You could ask your GP about pain killers until you get an appointment with the rheumy clinic.At first I was put on anti inflamatories with a stomach protector plus a course of steroids and that got rid of the pain and swelling almost overnight but it's not a cure.Hope you will get more help from your GP. Breane. :)
    Hi breane, thanks for the reply, doc put me ondicloflex and lansoprazole for my stomach, also tried a course of steroids, not sure if anything works becouse swelling and pain still comes and goes. Perhaps if i was not on them it would be a lot worse for longer, who knows, i am not particulary keen to stop them to find out.
    Have a good christmas
    Bryan
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi again Bryan,Merry Christmas to you also.Hope you have a painfree one!! Breane :P