cold and arthritis???

Options
salamander
salamander Member Posts: 1,906
edited 22. Dec 2009, 10:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
My joints have seized up in the last couple of days. It also coincides with dropping down to a low dose of steroids. Is it coincidental that it has been very cold over the past couple of days? Just walking home from a drink with friends tonight was very slow going. Do other people find the weather affects your joints?

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

My bones has felt as if they have been to parties in the night, then complain all day that they ache and are tired and just want to sleep.

I've been like this for about 4 days now.

I think the cold does affect you quite a lot.

Trish xx
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    Options
    I would love to blame the weather but was as bad in the summer - just hate the feeling of the cold seeping into my feet and not going away though. I have had not a bad week - well for the first couple of days so have been leaving the crutches at home , then yesterday went to Ikea and really struggled.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    sally36 wrote:
    My joints have seized up in the last couple of days. It also coincides with dropping down to a low dose of steroids. Is it coincidental that it has been very cold over the past couple of days? Just walking home from a drink with friends tonight was very slow going. Do other people find the weather affects your joints?

Hi sally

As you have dropped to a low dose of steroids then it could have dropped too low for you. I would suggest that you inform your Rheumy about what is happening. If it is the cold that is making things worse, then only when it gets warmer can you be certain.

The only thing that I could suggest is to keep as warm as possible and wrap up well if you have to go outside.
    r045.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • salamander
    Options
    It is very interesting what you all say. There was a woman in hydrotherapy yesterday insisting it was the weather causing the problems. I'm not so sure and think it more likely the stds dropping too low. I can't see how the cold would make my joints swell. I asked the rheum nurse on wed whether I could go up on the drugs if I needed and she said no! But my gp said if it didn't settle then do so. Think I might take her advice. Don't want to be crippled til the mtx kicks in and I haven't even started it yet!
    Thanks!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    For me, cold causes pain and stiffness but heat causes major swelling.
  • salamander
    Options
    princess01 wrote:

That's interesting. It seems everyone has different triggers. Have you ever tried using diet to control it? I'm looking into this at the moment.
    x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Tend to agree, Sally. :) Not being able to use my bike and walking with great difficulty, clutching onto walls and railings etc, on the ice rinks around these parts, I have found that I have loads of aches and pains, but this weather is quite exceptional, around where I live anyway.

Keep smiling, and tread carefully when outside. I was sooooooo glad to be back home this morning, after "slipping and sliding" into town, all to get the beef joint I wanted, so I set out early too. But seeing the sun shining on the the snow was beautiful and everyone was friendly and cheerful.

Take care,

Luv
    Elna xx
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    sally36 wrote:
    princess01 wrote:

That's interesting. It seems everyone has different triggers. Have you ever tried using diet to control it? I'm looking into this at the moment.
    x

I've got a book called "Diet and Arthritis" and I've started reading it. It's interesting.
    x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sally,

I don't know that the cold its self does this to me but I always hurt far more in the cold than in the warm, mind my bones hurt with dry air so if it gets hot they hurt as much as now. I have circulation problems and that makes me huddle very quickly with a slight temp drop, thats probably why I hurt more? Rain does mine as well, there is a common thing though...... I get mud, walking in mud is as scary as walking in snow and ice and I am just as likely to slide so I walk hunched and 'carefully' in both so maybe its how we react rather than the weather? Stay warm and it will warm up soon. Cris x
  • salamander
    Options
    princess01 wrote:
    sally36 wrote:
    princess01 wrote:

x

I've got a book called "Diet and Arthritis" and I've started reading it. It's interesting.
    x

i've got it, just started reading it too!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    The steriod drop could be afactor...I honestly dont know...all I do know is the damp and the cold make my aches and pains so much worse {and stiffness as well} We do all seem to have different triggers

Love
    Hileena
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    My joints are dreadful in the cold, not too bad in the wet though, roll on summer love Jaspercatxx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi all

I think I have an element of problems in all seasons. Not necessarily brought on by the cold.
    Since I finished the meno. and hot flushes, I feel the cold more and if you are cold then you tense up which in turn will bring on spasms, so dressing appropriately is the only answer. If you are warm then you relax .

In the warm summer, my feet and legs still ache the same, maybe more than now. My friend in Italy has osteo and she struggles as well. Temps where she live are in the high 30's normally.

So it seems that any sort of weather conditions can change the way you feel, it doesn't have to be the cold alone.
    Joy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I thought I was doing really well, no unusual aches or pains but, today my left wrist keeps feeling as if someones hammering it! :shock: and my knees are swollen and sore.

Gets to us all in the end!I think it was just playing around with me, making me think I'd got away without too many probs!!! :?
    Love Sue
  • salamander
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    I thought I was doing really well, no unusual aches or pains but, today my left wrist keeps feeling as if someones hammering it! :shock: and my knees are swollen and sore.

Gets to us all in the end!I think it was just playing around with me, making me think I'd got away without too many probs!!! :?
    Love Sue

I know what you mean! I struggled through the snow to go swimming today. It is only a 5 min walk normally but took more than double that. Then when I got there they told me I could swim for free as the air temperature was lower then usual. And it was cold! I could only manage 15 mins in the water as my knee was very painful and my ankles too. I'm really fed up with having to limit everything so much. Am trying to lose weight put on with steroids and it's impossible if you can't exercise properly.
    Sorry to moan!
    Sally
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Hi all.

Well i'm going to put a spanner in the works!

During Sept/Oct i went through my worst time ever. I had so much time off work and was constently popping pills.

But..............consudering i live in Kent which has been hard hit by snow (we had 8 inches fall on Friday) these past 3 weeks i have felt fantastic!

Hardly any pain, haven't felt the need for any pain killers and the depression has also disappeared.

Bring on the cold i say :!: :lol:

Carol
  • salamander
    Options
    carol101 wrote:
    Hi all.

Well i'm going to put a spanner in the works!

During Sept/Oct i went through my worst time ever. I had so much time off work and was constently popping pills.

But..............consudering i live in Kent which has been hard hit by snow (we had 8 inches fall on Friday) these past 3 weeks i have felt fantastic!

Hardly any pain, haven't felt the need for any pain killers and the depression has also disappeared.

Bring on the cold i say :!: :lol:

Carol[/quot

lucky you! I probably shouldn't have swam in cold water as I can hardly move this morning. My shoulder is agony as are knees and wrists. Am cursing like crazy today as have so much to do and won't be able to do any of it this morning.
    xx
  • sue1963
    sue1963 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    princess01 wrote:

Same here although past few days the severe coldness has made my fingers hurt more than usual.

Sue xx