pain in elbow joints

Options
ritwren
ritwren Member Posts: 928
edited 19. Dec 2009, 15:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, as you know, I have OA and PA am on methotrexate injections and painkillers along with Celebrex when I really need them.

Well I've been trying to ignore it but I can't really, both my elbow joints really are quite sore.They don't look red or swollen however and my last set of bloods which were done on tuesday were just borderline high with regard to the inflammatory markers.
When I wake up in the mornings, or start to move again after resting them I can't move them without pain and stiffness. Even raising my arm up to brush my hair causes this. Now on the grand scheme of things it's not as bad as my back or knees but I wonder if it could be to do with the arthritis? I will be seeing my consultant on tuesday next and would like your opinion before I see him. Thanks a million guys.
bye for now rita

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rita,

I wonder if it might be cus my wrists started like that. My elbows often get a bit stiff and feel bruised and are hard to get going but not in the way your describing. They tell me mine are also having to adjust to compensate for my wrists but they are arthritic, but only early onset. Mine get injected when I see the rumo and it seems to help for a while. I hope it will be something 'simple' and it might be but the fact its both of them does mean it could be down to the joints. I really hope its not and good luck for you appointment.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Rita,

My elbows have been destroyed by arthritis.For many years they were tender and gradually they lost the ability to straighten.My rheumatologist says they are beyond repair although I have noticed they are more straighter nowadays.She measured the angle they were stuck at once so maybe I will see if they have improved or if it is my imagination.
    They dont hurt as much as they used to and I always seemed to knock them on doorways and this made me scream so I think they are better now.They used to be really tender and you couldnt touch them,
    I have had injections in them some 15 years ago but didnt make much difference,but think the general medications,especially MTX and Humira have helped with the pain.
    Hope you are coping,
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Rita,
    sorry you're having such pain in your elbows now, as well as your other joints':(')

I have PA and OA too and my arther started in my elbows...I have since had Radial Head excisions to deal with the pain and this has been pretty successful for 7yrs now and reduced the pain hugely and gave me back some movement.':)'

I do get some pain but definitely not as bad as before or as frequent. Docs can tell from X rays if it's arther. I used to have steroid injections in the joints but eventually they did not help in fact felt worse as the injections reduced the inflammation/ fluid and bones were then grinding against one another.

I had the Radial head ops under arm block rather than general anaesthetic, and would recommend this if anyone has to consider this option.

Hope I haven't scared you off Rita! but at least you can chat over with rheummy now with bit more knowledge. ':oops:' javas':roll:' hope goes well for you. Iris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I've had carpel tunnel syndrome and the tests for that showed that I had cubital tunnel problems as well. Thats a sort of carpel tunnel in the elbow and can be treated in a similar fashion. I have to see a neurologist first, just to make sure of the diagnosis. So is is worth asking about the likelyhood of that. Love Sue
  • ritwren
    Options
    Thank you for your interest and taking the time to reply guys, perhaps I'll mention it to the Rheumy when I see him on Tuesday morning then. It will most likely be another 6 months before I see him again. Dorcas nope you have'nt scared me at all, I'd just like to know what it is thats all. :D
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Rita

I have started having pain in my elbows and stiffness. There is some swelling.

In the morning I dread moving them as I know it will be so painful. It is the same as my neck, moving that is painful as well.

I don't know if it is the start of arthur or this cold weather.

I hope they can do something for you though.

Take care and have a nice Christmas, also Best Wishes for 2010.

Take care Trish xxx
  • ritwren
    Options
    Trish sorry to hear you're having problems too. Thanks for the good wishes. Merry Christmas to you and all the lovely people on the board. Hope 2010 is a better year for all of us. :)
    rita