The exploding gravy jug

Options
minky67
minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
edited 21. Dec 2009, 07:40 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi All, well i think ive been tested to the brink today in readiness for xmas dinner disasters.

I was just boiling the kettle to make the gravy & as i poured it into the glass jug, it exploded, :shock: full of boiling gravy. It plastered the kitchen walls, ran into the drawer & down the inside of the cupboard, down the sides of my cooker & burnt my leg. :shock:
I screamed as it went bang & my OH came running in to find me with my trousers round my ankles with a wet tea towel wrapped round my leg. :lol:

Now ive got to spend tomorrow cleaning the rest of the mess that i cant get to,pull out he cooker & wash down the walls.
& yes my leg does hurt. :roll: but luckily i got he cold water on it quick enough.Its also a good job that i had plenty of gravy granules or dinner would have been a bit dry :roll:
Now i hope thats it for xmas disasters, good job my stepson didnt come down when i'd dropped me trousers & OH was checking the burn :shock: :lol:
debs

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Debs

Sorry to hear about your accident. Lucky you didn't end up in A&E :!:

But glass jug and boiling water :?: :?: Something not quite right there :!: :shock:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Debs

Are you sure you are ok??? Is your leg burnt much? Have you got to buy another dish now, before Christmas?

I can imagine stepson giving you both a look, that look.

Are you really ok?

Trish xxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    My goodness, are you sure you are all right? What a thing to happen just before Christmas. Still, I guess it's lucky it wasn't worse, as said you could have finished up in A & E!

I will watch all my gravy-making very carefully.........

Annie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Debs,

Hope it all settles for you and the cold water did the trick? I got one of those as well and like you use it quite a bit....... Maybe I will re-think.... ((( ))) Luv Cris xx
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Debs, how dreadful for you, are you ok? love Jaspercatxx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Oh poor you Debs!!

Hope you are OK, will have given you such a fright. :shock: Must admit I thought those pyrex jugs could handle boiling water. Will check mine for cracks now!
    Take care
    Chris
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    crikey debs :shock: :shock: :shock:
    I knew Cooking Christmas dinner could be dangerous but not for that reason :shock: :shock:

poor you ....... hope your leg is not too bad.

I use our pyrex jugs all the time for boiling water. I can only guess that yours maybe had a slight flaw in it ... will check mine tomorrow :wink:

good luck tomorrow with the cleaning ... littlelegs is offering to help (she loves gravy :wink: ) but only if you have cleared away all the glass - her paws can't take any more injuries today :wink::lol::lol:
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi All, Im fine honest.
    I think the bang when it exploded was what made me scream.
    My leg is sore but i dont think it will blister.
    The jug was an old pyrex one, Im sticking to plastic from now on.
    It may have been knocked in the dishwasher, but it was the base that blew out. :shock: just as i add i added the water from the kettle.
    The gravy has run everywhere, so weve got a major clean up to do tomorrow. Just what i need.

Wonky, littlelegs is free from harm as weve got all the glass up.

Sorry if ive got anybody worried, but it just goes to show these things can happen & just before xmas :(
    we could only do half of the clean up as in-laws were due.
    I slice the meat then put it in the gravy to keep it warm in the oven before they get here.
    Imagine the panic :shock: as we were trying to clean up. :roll:
    hope thats the last thing to go wrong before xmas.
    luv debs