Yule - Winters Solstice...............Today

Options
robertls
robertls Member Posts: 2,304
edited 24. Dec 2009, 01:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
Yule is a turning point in the year - a time from when the days start to grow longer and the nights shorter. Light is returning!

This is the time of the rebirth of the Sun God.
A time of celebration and a time to honour the the Great Mother Goddess - bringer of new life and hope to the land.

After today.......days getting longer......hurrah!!!!

Rob x
Roba045.gif

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HOORAY HURRY UP AND GET LIGHT

Trisher xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    My friends go to stonehenge with their children tonight and every winter/summer
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Thank goodness for that!!

Can't wait for the longer days, I hate the winter!

Yippeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! :P

Janie
  • tkachev
    Options
    Rehab
    At this point would to thank you for always making me laugh!I was going to reply about breaking your teeth on the bones but thought someone might take me seriously and report me!
    All the best anyway
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    tkachev wrote:
    Elizabeth
    I was under the impression that sacrificing children was a no no because of health and safety restrictions :shock:

Keep em coming Rehab, I so need your amazing one liners......Have the loveliest Christmas ever......Ange.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    tkachev wrote:
    Elizabeth
    I was under the impression that sacrificing children was a no no because of health and safety restrictions :shock:

I can think of a few I'd like to offer up - including the little brat who deliberately kicked me on my worst leg (happened on holiday this year).

Annie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I have had a birthday today to remember. For a start, it is the shortest day of the year, that is why is seemed apt to talk about it on Rob's thread. I am now 59 but that is pretty unimportant, I feel and look about 69 :roll: but I feel my heart is still in the right place, so that suits me fine. :D I have had two thirds of a bottle of champagne, since being back home, my fav drink and a meal at Pizza Express, compliments of my daughter, via a voucher given to us in August and nearly forgotten about. :wink: :oops: We waded through the snow to get to the restaurant and met many people in there who had abandonned their cars because everywhere around here was gridlocked for hours. My son took 7 hours to travel 35 miles by car but is now safely home thank goodness. Phew! :)

My 16 month old grand daughter came to see me today dressed in a Rudolph the reindeer outfit and with a big help from mummy sang happy birthday to me and I got lots of cuddles and kisses from her. I have so many birthday cards I don't know where to put them along with all the christmas cards. Grand daughter helped me open my presents, which took ages and she was sooooo excited.

I walked pushing my bike, to the shops with the snow falling this afternoon to carry home the last of the food shopping and that is it for me now. What has been forgotten will not be missed, I am sure. I am looking forward to a quiet christmas with my family here with me.

I have so much to be thankful for and I feel very humble and full of gratitude for what I do have.

Love to you all,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    Happy birthday Elna, from me and the mods,

Jean123
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    n015.gif

Belated Happy Birthday Elna. You certainly know what makes a birthday special.....Family eh!

Also, I will be thinking of you at the end of January for your TKR.....Ange.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Elna,

You kept that quiet but belated
    n055.gif
    and Lola sounds so lovely :D I spend a lot of time recapturing childhood :wink: Went down to see the lights tonight and got some mead so would you like a late celebratory one?

Love and have a really good Christmas,

Cris ((( ))) xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    I woke up this morning thought I must pm Elna as she hinted it was her birthday in December and found I had missed it!Anyway managed to pm you Elna....not easy as other laptop has gone mad,daughter started screaming as her brother was bothering her son ran out barefoot in the snow to rescue his packet of crisps!Then the OH asked if he could fix his scooter engine in the front room!I thought he was joking but he wasnt.I mean it has been tidied for Christmas, the tree is up and decorated the toys put away.I have said no.......
    Anyway missed the pantomine yesteday because of daughters stomach probs
    Merry Christmas to you all.
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Rob

Thanks for reminding me about that. It certainly cheers me up to think it is the shortest day today.

I have just started a birthday thread for Elna in case people don't see it on here.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    And I thought I was the only Pagan on here!. Good one Rob.
  • robertls
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:

I'm sure you're far from alone.............

Just for lots of people, their faith and beliefs are very personnal and private things...

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • indigo
    indigo Member Posts: 113
    Options
    robertls wrote:
    mellman01 wrote:

I'm sure you're far from alone.............

Just for lots of people, their faith and beliefs are very personnal and private things...

Rob x

Born on the winter solstice- - - - - - Pagan and Proud to be of the olde ways - - - - - -

Yule tide Blessings to all

Indigo (x)
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hello all!
    I am just popping in, a little late, as usual (fashionably so, of course!) to say I am of no belief - am a confirmed atheist in fact, but I do feel strongly for the pagan view in that Winter Solstice was hijacked so to speak by the Christian contingency & would like to offer my seasonal best wishes of hope, health & happiness to you all!
    Robert, my son has Pagan friends & went to their wedding/holding is it this summer - said was lovely
    love Pennie X
  • robertls
    Options
    penfactor wrote:
    Hello all!
    I am just popping in, a little late, as usual (fashionably so, of course!) to say I am of no belief - am a confirmed atheist in fact, but I do feel strongly for the pagan view in that Winter Solstice was hijacked so to speak by the Christian contingency & would like to offer my seasonal best wishes of hope, health & happiness to you all!
    Robert, my son has Pagan friends & went to their wedding/holding is it this summer - said was lovely
    love Pennie X

Hi Pennie...................My son and his wife had a 'handfasting' to celebrate their commitment to each other...........

Merry cheer to you at this time........................Rob x
    Roba045.gif