Glucosamine and pain

Options
sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
edited 22. Dec 2009, 07:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

I ran out of my glucosamine about 12 days ago so went without until my new supply came from HD. During these 12 days I've felt absolutely rotten because of the discomfort and pain in my knees. I have been stiff and sore - bloomin miserable with it all. I only clicked that it may have been because I had not been taking the glucosamine. I've been taking it for 3 years now.

After 3 days of being back on it I've started to feel better and I slept through all last night. My knees weren't stiff and tore and the stabbing pain had gone.

Am I wrong to assume it was all due to my lack of glucosamine or was I just having a flare???

What do you think?

Sharmaine

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine,

wow, I didn't think that it had such an impact. I asked a doctor I work with and he recommended it, he said that it is like a jelly in between the joints naturally in the body so to have more is a definite bonus.

Sounds like your body likes the glucosamine, so keep taking it and I may just go and get some myself now!

Janie
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, It seems to work for you and thats great! I took it for about 6 to 9 months then ran out, so had to stop for the new lot to come. When it came, I started taking it again for a while, but felt no difference. I have OA.

Also a medication you find is good for you, doesn't mean it will work for me, and so on. I'd never say its not worth trying, as we all are unique with different responses to drugs of all kinds.

I may even give it another go, as I'm in a fair amount of pain at the moment and you never know, it may work now. The only thing I would say, and thats when I started taking it my physio said if it works it often takes up to 3 months to kick in at first, so just a couple or weeks taking it isn't a fair trial. I'm glad you've found something to help you! :D Love Sue
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    been taking it about 9 months and did wonder if it was helping do feel much better but did not know if it was that or the anti inflam tabs not to mention the pain meds do not know what it is just glad something is working . wishing u all pain free new year good luck
    val
  • libbie
    libbie Member Posts: 13
    Options
    This is interesting! I mentioned at one of my arthritis check-ups with my GP that i had been taking 1500mg Glucosamine for two years and it seemed to help the stiffness. He said there was "absolutely no foundation that it helped arthritis according to research, but if it made me feel better, it was probably placebo effect". I disagreed with this as i experimented and didn't take the Glucosamine for three days - boy did i notice the difference, pain and terrible stiffness! If it's placebo effect, i don't care, it really helps me lol! I'm going to keep taking it! :-)
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed with OA the consultant said {off the record} that glucosamine was good and he took it for his arthritis.
    I bought it but I keep trying it and forgetting to take it....so I never take it long enough for it to do me any good......I should perservere with it

Lo ve
    Hileena
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine,

I am convinced it helps :D I have used a corta-flex and corta-vet for some of my animals and recently Sturge pointed out there is a human form and I leaped in and got some...... I feel less stiff after only a few days. It might be a mind thing with us but it wasn't and isn't for the sheep and dog! Its a lot more than 'just' glucosamine' but if my vets are right it only helps with 1st and 2nd stage, after that its not strong enough. I really do hope you continue to feel less stiff etc. You have a good Christams :D luv Cris x
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi

I am generally feeling better, less stiff and sore and sleeping better.
    I'm even going to attempt a bit of housework today. I'm putting it down to the glucosamine because I felt hellish for 12 days without it and didn't sleep at all well. I'm still taking my meds. My GP says that evidence has proven that it helps arthritis sufferers. My cousin is also a GP and he says the same.

Sharmaine

skezier wrote:
    Hi Sharmaine,

I am convinced it helps :D I have used a corta-flex and corta-vet for some of my animals and recently Sturge pointed out there is a human form and I leaped in and got some...... I feel less stiff after only a few days. It might be a mind thing with us but it wasn't and isn't for the sheep and dog! Its a lot more than 'just' glucosamine' but if my vets are right it only helps with 1st and 2nd stage, after that its not strong enough. I really do hope you continue to feel less stiff etc. You have a good Christams :D luv Cris x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Sorry to veer off topic a little but I was wondering; would some with an inflammatory type of arthritis benefit from glucosamine?
  • sharmaine
    Options
    I suppose it would...but you could read about it online. I just know my joints are not as bad when I'm on it. I don't have so much pain; stiffness or discomfort.

Sharmaine
    princess01 wrote:
    Sorry to veer off topic a little but I was wondering; would some with an inflammatory type of arthritis benefit from glucosamine?