gym membership gone up

Options
oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 25. Dec 2009, 04:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been a member of a gym for a while....i have phases of going regularly then not going for weeks! when id dont go i start getting twinges,mainly in hips.
So, there a recession/credit crunch and what do they do put the prices up 20%!..i rang and said could they freeze price, like the weather, and they said no......
just wondering whether to cancel it and maybe walk a bit.....sometimes cant walk too far cos of back etc...but suppose i could try...and maybe build up distances!
any suggestions?

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Oneday,

That’s a bit mean of them! I can't afford a gym now a days but have developed my own way of keeping the muscle tone I guess, not sure its too effective sometimes though :wink: I really do think in my case the muscles are my best mates and so far have managed to head off the severe wasting......... I don't know what to say to you but good luck which ever way you go. Have a good Christmas, Cris x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I've reluctantly decided not to renew mine in January. Although we get the free swimming for the over-60's here, that's one thing I can't do, the water is too cold and I get super-cramp the minute I put a toe in.

I might try and get another medical referral for the New Year, but even that costs 7.50 a week.

Annie
  • jennifer22
    jennifer22 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    I have been a member of a gym for a while....i have phases of going regularly then not going for weeks! when id dont go i start getting twinges,mainly in hips.
    So, there a recession/credit crunch and what do they do put the prices up 20%!..i rang and said could they freeze price, like the weather, and they said no......
    just wondering whether to cancel it and maybe walk a bit.....sometimes cant walk too far cos of back etc...but suppose i could try...and maybe build up distances!
    any suggestions?

Hi Oneday

Try your doc,nurse I got refered on the exercise on prescription think you had to attend 3 appointments with the fitness personand pay 1.50 per gym session after the 3rd appointment they give you the option to join. I was only paying 20 a month but mine ran out at the end of Nov need to join again
  • oneday
    Options
    Hello everybody
    um...a dilemma....there are 2 gym machnes in particular that really help, the ones where you sit down and bring your legs in and out like a frog!..these machines really help out with the hips...
    i think i am more miffed they just increase prices willy nilly. When i have been to the gym the instructors have told me after a year of membership there is a high drop out, so you would think they should be trying to hold onto members..like me....
    also, i like swimming but i dont like being cold...i dont mind coming out in the summer as its nice to be refreshed but in this weather,,brr.
    also the classes i used to enjoy and free as part of membership have stopped as they were out of the gym tutors not on site employee tutors and these were the best....there was a Chinese guy who did tai chi who knew his stuff and talked throughout which was v interesting. He even took an aerobics class once which was the best i had been to.
    Then the pilates teaher was great and shes gone. she used to do a routine,different each week....the current one is so boring,same sleepy music,same actions which i cant do half cos of my back!
    I dont know.
    They used to be a small group of gyms and also had great social events but now its been taken over by a large group all independent tutors were effectively sacked and no social evening events.
    After one independent yoga teacher for the oldies was sacked the women spoke up for him but they still get rid off him.
    ooh, i dont know!
    I will try out the leisure centre though..good thinking....
  • tjenny54321
    tjenny54321 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    sometimes there exercise groups in Community Centres and other services in the community, a few in Edinburgh - The Thistle Foundation, I previously stated on here they had a pool but not so sure now. the Salisbury Centre and WHEC - they have a gym and pool and exercise classes. The community schools have groups/ and pools sometimes. They might be cold but won't leave you penniless. I am opting for large chain so I can swim in a warmer pool. I am getting a discount as an off peak member, something worth asking about. Our dear council warm up the pool on wednesday morning but it's chittering cold, I know its a victorian building and difficult to heat but that is why they should build a new one with a warmer pool and disabled access without the hoist. It can be done.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,949
    Options
    Hi Oneday.
    I'm sorry to read your post as my sister and i go to the gym.
    our gym as gone down in price.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • oneday
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hi Oneday.
    I'm sorry to read your post as my sister and i go to the gym.
    our gym as gone down in price.
    joan xx

hi, is it a big chain,if yees, and cant put it here can you pm me. mine is a big chain, price v good couple of years back but they keep putting it up.
  • lottiefox
    lottiefox Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi there

There are some simple exercises you could do at home to help with the hip adductors and abductors - the machine that does the frog leg movement works these, if you push your legs apart you're working the abductors and when you squeeze inwards against weight thats your adductors. Both really good for overall leg flexibility and helping knees, bum etc.

I can find some links to some or else try and describe them on here if it helps?! If you invest in a resistance band as well (usually about a fiver) then that makes them even more effective.

PS I'm a fitness instructor before my knees protested! :D
  • oneday
    Options
    Hi lotttie
    yes theyre the machines i use and help with the hips stiffening and paining. What exercises could be done at home without the addition of the weights that are there at the gym?