Osteoarthritis

Options
joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
edited 22. Dec 2009, 03:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
My doctor told me this morning that there was nothing else he could do for me. I could increase my Tramadol SR from 200 mg a day to 400 mg. The good news was that my Polymyalgeria had not flared up again. My arms and shoulders didn't hurt as much as my hips and thighs did. In fact the pain was penitrating across my back and into my groin making it very difficult to walk. When I suggested seeing a Chiropractioner he thought that this was more preferable than a Osteopath because this was not as rough as the first option. So I rang someone I use to go to about 5 years ago when I use to have treatment on my neck. This was the first time I was getting treatment for my legs.
I am, at this moment, feeling very tender, all over. She has confirmed that I do have wear and tear (osteoarthritis) in my spine , hips and my neck, saying that a further injection into my left hip for the bursitis would start causing big problems. I should also be getting the use of the fingers in my left hand back again soon. So at least that is something.

Bye for now
Joy

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Joy
    sorry to hear what the doctor said which must have made you feel a bit deflated.
    I saw an osteopath once. I felt it more than a physio! she actually said i had two veretebrae close which later scans,mris discovered.
    People swear by their osteopaths..so hoping this is another option for you.......have you any exercises recommended for you too.
  • joyful164
    Options
    Hi Oneday

I've seen this lady before and I knew she was good. I was uncertain whether she would be able to treat me. Sometimes, and it happened to a friend of mine the other day, the person she went to see couldn't treat her because he felt there was nothing he could do for her. You always have this nagging doubt that they might cause more problems, but as soon as my GP confirmed that there was no other option then I rang her. Wonder what my Rheumy will say when I see him.
    Surely if things improve that's the answer. As long as she can bring me some relief from the pain for awhile that's allthat matters.
    Yesterday, when my young grandson asked me to pick him up. I thought my arms wouldn't be strong enough, but it was so lovely picking him up for awhile. Now, if it had been a PMR flare up, I couldn't have done that!

Thanks

Joy
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Hi Joy, glad that you have found some kind of answer, even if it is a temporary one.
    I saw a chiropractor years ago after I had a whiplash injury. It was very good then and I was able to discontinue the sessions after about a year.
    Doubt if it would help me just now, but I will note it down and ask my GP when I see her next.

Love
    Annie
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    OS does cause a lot of problems and there doesn't seem to much help available.

The last visit to the Osteopath wasn't good, he said I was beyond his help, likewise the physio, I would like a massage, just for the feel good factor but not many will take men on. Swimming does help maintain flexibility and stops the creep of pain but doesn't get rid of it. I ended up on my back this morning, I slipped down the driveway, on ice, so am now feeling jarred and achy.

So where next? I do have sympathy for you, we are between the rock and a hard place aren't we? Answers on a postcard sized forum please!

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joy,

I am sorry she has said that, I know how gutted I was when they told me that. So firstly a ((((( ))))).

I have seen a pacif chiropractor, he used pressure point manipulation and in he early days it helped so it might be worth a try/ You have to be careful though cus I saw a different one years ago and he laid me up almost totally for at least 6 weeks.

Good luck and can the pain clinic not help you at all? Mine now they 'treat' with a lot of cortizone and medrone with some de-nerving and pregabalin, on the max dose. I also have fort back as best I can via muscle tone. Its a horrible thing this bone junk eh? You take care and I hope you find an way to get rid of your pain. Luv Cris x
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Hi Joy

Sorry to hear what you're going through.

I too have OA of the spine and have been told nothing can be done, just pain killers for the rest of my life. I wouldn't be able to handle an ostoepath, my back is really tender to the touch and just my hubby giving me a cuddle a bit hard has left me in agony for days before.

I think i've just about come to terms with it now though and for the past 3 weeks i have actually managed to stop taking pain killers.

Just hope i don't slip in the snow though :shock:

Carol ((())) Hugs
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your GP has said that to you. Did they mean in terms of pain relief surely not, have you tried patches? As somebody else says, what about the pain clinic? Have you tried a TENS machine? the one I have also has an acupuncture setting and my physio although she won't give me movements or exercises to do, does help a lot by giving me acupuncture.
    I hope all goes well at your appointment and your osteopath can do something to help you. Take good care.
    rita
  • joyful164
    Options
    carol101 wrote:
    Hi Joy
    Sorry to hear what you're going through.
    I too have OA of the spine and have been told nothing can be done, just pain killers for the rest of my life. I wouldn't be able to handle an ostoepath, my back is really tender to the touch and just my hubby giving me a cuddle a bit hard has left me in agony for days before.
    I think i've just about come to terms with it now though and for the past 3 weeks i have actually managed to stop taking pain killers.
    Just hope i don't slip in the snow though :shock:

Carol ((())) Hugs
    Know what you mean about tender to the touch, but you work past that. The first session is v painful but a good (mine's v good) chiro knows how to ease up those muscle either side ofthe spine before starting the painful bit. You could find that after a few session you can cuddle hubbie again.
    joy
  • joyful164
    Options
    ritwren wrote:
    Sorry to hear that your GP has said that to you. Did they mean in terms of pain relief surely not, have you tried patches? As somebody else says, what about the pain clinic? Have you tried a TENS machine? the one I have also has an acupuncture setting and my physio although she won't give me movements or exercises to do, does help a lot by giving me acupuncture.
    I hope all goes well at your appointment and your osteopath can do something to help you. Take good care.
    rita
    Hello rita
    I've gone through every conceivable kind of pain relief. I have got 2 TENS Machines and I use them regularly,but there comes a time when you have tried every type of pill, patch (which did not suit my skin, blistered) you start getting desperate. Have increase Tramadol SR to 400 mg a day for now. It is my hope that I shall eventually slim down my pill intake by 50%
    I hate taking painkillers. You can only have so many injections because of the damage it can cause. As a lot of friends on here they know, I have tried everything

Joy
  • joyful164
    Options
    Hello skezier, carol, everyone.
    Thanks for the hugs. They hurt but thanks again. :P
    It so annoys me though that for months now I knew that there was something going on with my body and my GP and Consultant just seem to treat me like a senile geriatric. As if it's too late to do anything. My hubby has insisted all along that I have a scan to see what's happening. Instead it is just talkedaround saying that I have too many complex things wrong with me to pick up the osteo on the scan. I suppose he means inflammations from the PsA, RA and Bursitis. The steroids for the Polymyalgeria Rheumatica (PMR) hasn't helped either.
    At my own expense I am having to go down the alternative med route. Once we have got through these sessions, I shall ask about the swimming, that is, if the PMR will let me. I'm feeling a bit battered and bruise today, with another session tomorrow. What amazes me though. When Kettering Poppies played Leeds United some weeks ago, our goalie/manager had gone througha chiropractioners session on the morning of travelling up to Leeds and the game went into extra time. How did he do that when I was told to rest for 24 hours.

Must have been on very strong painkillers.

Joy