Amitriptyline

Options
hinton
hinton Member Posts: 3
edited 23. Dec 2009, 07:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. This is all new to me! I've been reading some of the messages and answers on the forum for a little while and wondered if anyone would be able to help with any experience or advice regarding Amitriptyline. I have RA, which was diagnosed around two and a half years ago and have been on Methotrexate and Salazopyrin for quite a while, plus Arthrotec. If I ever forget to take my Arthrotec it takes a couple of days to get back to normal pain levels, so I seem to be quite dependent on it. I saw my consultant yesterday for a check up and as things aren't improving much she mentioned that Amitriptyline was another option to take at night as a mild painkiller (which might wean me off the Arthrotec) and also to help me sleep. Does anyone take this combination of drugs, and have any advice or experience they can share with me please? Thanks in anticipation...

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,950
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hinton.
    i take 3 amitr in the evening they have stopped
    the aching and pain in my legs.
    they worked from taking the first one and i have had the ache for over 8 years.
    i started taking them in oct this year.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi hinton, I am on 15mg mtx, but no other DMARD. Not working so far, I was diagnosed in July. My GP has recently prescribed amtitriptyline 25mg for night times, to help with the pain and to help sleep. They do work, at least for me. Dont know anything about the other drug you mention, so cant help with that, as for addiction, sorry no idea!!! Good luck with whatever you choose k025.gif
  • hinton
    hinton Member Posts: 3
    Options
    jordan7j wrote:
    Hi hinton, I am on 15mg mtx, but no other DMARD. Not working so far, I was diagnosed in July. My GP has recently prescribed amtitriptyline 25mg for night times, to help with the pain and to help sleep. They do work, at least for me. Dont know anything about the other drug you mention, so cant help with that, as for addiction, sorry no idea!!! Good luck with whatever you choose k025.gif

Hi and thanks to all who replied to me. It's great to hear how these things work for other people and thank you for your support. To jordan7j I would say that Mtx is worth persevering with - it can take some time to have its effect, and even if the pain is still the same it should be reducing damage to your joints anyway. Take care.