Psoriatic Arthritis

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 23. Dec 2009, 06:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have all the symptoms of RA, minus a positive RF but I've had problems with my nails for years (thickened, discolouration, issues with growth etc). Is Psoriatic Arthritis possible with only nails affected? I'm seeing my rheumy at the end of Jan.

Just wondering.
Thank you in advance.
~ Sophie

Comments

• jenniet
    jenniet Member Posts: 27
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sophie.

I am no medic but............I had psoriasis about 20 years ago and I haven't seen it since, however when I went to see the rheumatologist for the first time (even though my RF was high) he diagnosed me with probable psoriatic arthritis based on my symptoms and a thick little toe nail. As it was I then had an anti ccp test and some xrays and at the next visit was told it was RA. Hope that helps a little! Merry Christmas!

Jenny.
  • sue1963
    sue1963 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello Sophie!
    I was dx with borderline Psoriatic as well as my osteo. I have Psoriasis but am pretty much in remission at the moment (long may it last) but my PsA was dx mainly on the state of my toenails too funnily enough.

Sue xx
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you, your replies have been helpful. It only popped into my head because my toe nails have been causing me a lot of pain. I googled it and found quite often, with this type of arthritis your RF is negative and mine is. Will mention it at my next appt. I must try to remember!!
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I was finally dx with PsA 4/5 years ago. I've lost track of time, it might be longer, anyway my dx was based on 1) small areas of psoriasis experienced over a long period. 2) thickened, pitted nails on sausage shaped fingers 3) the areas that I was affected by the pain, namely toe joints, ankles and heels and hands/wrists and possibly an elbow. I think I could have been suffering from this for a long while beforehand. Then, when notes were going backwards and forwards to my GP/Consultant I saw RA written as it was on my sick notes. Now, added to all that I have been told by my chiropractictioner that I have OA down my spine from my neck, knees and hips.
    At the end of the day they still use the same DMards and meds to treat it to put it into recession, though there is not alot you can do with OA except it responds to chiro more. I see I am going to be in for a lot of expense next year because you can't get this on NH.
    I hope you get your PsA treated fairly soon. It can take quiet a time to put into remission and would urge you to be patient. You can learn a lot on here and always ask the Helpline. You'll find a lot of answers and wish you lots of luck for the New Year.
    Happy Christmas

Joy
  • Starburst
    Options
    ^^ thank you, Joy and a very merry Christmas to you too. :)

I've actually just started treatment; celebrex and hydroxycholoroquine (sp?) with co-codamol for pain. For me, it's frustrating not having an 'official name'. I know it seems a bit silly but I just want to know for sure. :oops: From what I've read, they're treated pretty much the same way anyway, so that's something.
  • sue1963
    sue1963 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    princess01 wrote:
    Thank you, your replies have been helpful. It only popped into my head because my toe nails have been causing me a lot of pain. I googled it and found quite often, with this type of arthritis your RF is negative and mine is. Will mention it at my next appt. I must try to remember!!
    My PsA didnt show up on the blood tests...it was only on being examined by the rheumy at the hospital they confirmed I had a few classic signs and the OA to add to it.
    Stay positive :)

Sue xxxx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    I have PsA diagnosed 12yrs ago without having had the skin condition first. Took a year from being referred for the rheummy's to give me a firm PsA Dx from Xrays. Also have some OA.
    Started in my elbow and then fingers, wrists. Now quite a number of joints involved and have had 4 ops.
    My nails didn't start to show the chracteristic 'striations' and pitting/ thickening until quite some years later.

PsA is one of the 'sero-negative' arthropathies so does not show a positive rheumatoid factor in blood tests. The rheummy's do treat it in a similar way to RA. I'm on Humira and Mtx combo plus pain killers and Amatriptyline.
    There's a lot of info available here on the arthritiscare website and the PAA (Psoriatic Arthritis Alliance)website is also good.
    helpline will sign post you to other sites too... ':D')

Iris x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sophie,

Mine was dx from the state of my wrists and the fact the rf was only very slightly raised. The finger and toe nails are indicators as well in my case but they didn't get picked up on. I hope you get some answers at the end of Jan. Take care Cris

Hi Iris,

Thank you for explaining it, I have often wondered what it actually was.... except a pain, I knew its one of those :wink: You have a good Christmas Cris x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi

I was diaganosed with RA and Oa then a little while later PSA

I have never had any skin problems though.

Trish xx
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    I was dx with PsA, but then I also have psoriasis that is very difficult to control. I don't have rhuematoid factor either and initially my arthur was asymmetrical, which is another sign of PsA rather than RA. Even though my nails have never been affected, my rheumy always checks then for signs. You don't have to have psoriasis to have PsA although it is more common to have psoriasis first. It doesn't mean that you will get psoriasis either. It seems that you might be one of the less typical cases. PsA however is treated in a very similar way to RA. It is also easier to qualify for anti-TNF with PsA (only one exam) and I find the therapy to be very effective.
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for your helpful replies. What would I do without this lovely place?! Although my arthritis presents symmetrically; both wrists, both feet etc, it is significantly worse on one side. I don't know why I didn't mention my nails to my rheumy but. at the time, I didn't even consider the thought that it may be connected. Anyway, I'm pleased to say that the hydroxycholorquine is working and I'm seeing very small improvements in how I'm coping. :D

Wishing you all a peaceful, happy, pain-free christmas and a very happy, healthy new year. xx