How does everyone cope?

Options
sue1963
sue1963 Member Posts: 17
edited 23. Dec 2009, 14:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was only dx a few months back really but Im slowly watching my fingers become more and more disfigured and sometimes I just want to cry..............the hospital told me this would happen but as its worsening Im coping less.

Anyone feel like this and how do you cope?

Sue xx

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    sue1963 wrote:
    I was only dx a few months back really but Im slowly watching my fingers become more and more disfigured and sometimes I just want to cry..............the hospital told me this would happen but as its worsening Im coping less.

Sue xx

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear you're feeling low. :( It's such a massive shock when we're first diagnosed and it can take a little while to get our heads round it but I promise you will feel alot better.

Regarding your hands, try to keep them moving, even just relaxing them in warm water will help ....I've always believed that washing the pots is good exercise for the fingers. Also ice packs can help reduce inflammation and pain - a bag of frozen peas on your painful joints with a damp cloth between your skin and the peas, keep on for 20 mins and then gently move your fingers. Hope this helps.

Try to take one day at a time and remember we're here should you need support and advice.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • sue1963
    Options
    Thank you!
    I was dx back in July (see my post in say hello lol) but still not coping too well. Hospital discharged me back in October so feel quite alone with dealing with it :(

Sue xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Sue

I have just been able to log on as hubby has been working from home and hogging the pc and phone!

I typed out a reply and then lost it. :roll: I am so relieved to see that Linda has replied to you. Hubby said that he kept losing the connection on the pc and our phone has also been terribly crackly at times. All to do with the adverse conditions outside, I presume :roll: :shock: :lol:

I am sorry you are feeling really despondent today. We all do from time to time, you are not alone there and you are not alone since you have joined this forum either.

It is always a shock when newly diagnosed and we all have our bad days.

I try not to dwell on it all too much and do as much as is possible, I find laughter helps me and I try to keep positive as much as possible. I am very grateful to have found this site a good few years ago now and call in most days, many times, if I am home. I like to chat to others on here and try to help people in general not only here but in my daily life. I find it makes me feel useful. I am as active as I can possibly be and exercise every day which I find helps me.

Have you been given any medication that as I understand it, can slow down deterioration? I have oa and the base of my thumbs are very deformed.

You will always be made welcome here so please do call in and post as often as you wish.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sue1963
    Options
    Im taking Ecotolab which manages the pain most of the time with occasions where I take paracetamol if required.
    Im generally so bubbly but today Im stuck in cos London doesnt cope with the snow, I hurt and Ive had time to think about things.

Thanks for your replies...means a lot!

Sue xxxx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Hi Sue

People on this forum are always willing to listen and offer advice where possible. It's just a case of keeping in touch and helping each other, whether we are up or down in the dumps, ranting or having a moment of quiet reflection.

Try to take things one day at a time. Coping is not easy when you are first diagnosed. Sometimes having a good wail to us can help as many are feeling just as you are.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Sure, Sue, come on in here and rant, rave, moan, whinge, most of us have been there! Ask questions - even what you might feel are silly ones are taken seriously and are answered.
    If you want to have your mind taken off the pain/discomfort/depression for a while join us on the Chit Chat forum - we're all daft as brushes there!

If you need help or just generally cheering up, this is a good place to be.

Love
    Annie
  • sue1963
    Options
    Guys Im speechless (well almost) your replies are heartwarming for sure thank you :D

Sue xxx
  • harmony
    harmony Member Posts: 37
    Options
    sue1963 wrote:

Sue xx
    Hi Sue,
    As others have said we all have bad days, and some days I just want to cry for no reason :cry: But after a good cry and I get it out of my system I have lots more really good days :D As others have said, keeping your hands mobile, soaking them in hot water (well as warm as you can stand it) and the ice packs, all good.
    Sue, we have all been through or are going through this now, the knowledge that it's happening to others and you can rant here is a great bonus. There are many friends I have made through these forums. Hang in there. We all listen and help each other, isn't it wonderful :?:
    Harmony :)
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Sue, I only got dx about 3 weeks ago. I was fine about it at the time as thought the worst was over but have just had a flare up to remind me how tough it can be at times. I think it takes a while to sink in and, when I was first ill in the summer, I thought my life was over. I know that not to be true now and I can't say it is easy but some days are very good, others not so good. I think it is difficult to make adjustments and recognise you have to do things differently, at least that seems to be the psychological hurdle I am battling with.
    This talk board has helped me a lot. I hope it helps you too.
    Sally x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Sue

I have been diagnosed with ra oa and pa. I have the hands affected the worse. They have decided to part company with each other.

Soaking your hands in warm water does help. We are here to support one another.

I hope to see you around.

Love Trish xxxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I'm so sorry to hear that you have just had such a diagnose to face. It must have been a shock for you, in fact I should think that you are still in a state of shock. I have OA and it effects my hands. This is a very hard time for you and their is so much for you to get your head round! But you will, when you see the Rheummies and other members of the team and get your medications and treatments sorted out.

This is a great place to moan and have a rant! We all do it from time to time and we all get low as well!

Enjoy Christmas as much as you can. Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sue,

I can't beat the advice you have already had ands hope you soon feel better. At times its all like a tidal wave clobbering into you but I promise you it does somehow get easier as time goes on. At some point we all feel we can't cope with it but tomorrow is never as bad as you fear it to be. I used to think my life was ended, it hasn't just some of it has changed a bit. You take care Cris x
  • sue1963
    Options
    First time online today been shopping with my teenage daughter and your responses are something else.
    Im soo glad I googled and found this place.

Love Sue xxxxx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,934
    Options
    Hi Sue.
    Welcome to the forum.
    the people on here are very helpfull and friendly
    just say what you are worried a bout and some one will have had it and they will try to help.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    Hello Sue.................and welcome

How do we cope.......................I'm sure we all ask ourselves that..........

Bottom line is.....we do.....

Personally, with a lot of help and encouragement from the guys and gals on here....

Between us we've probably seen, felt, or suffered pretty much all there is....

By talking here we can help each other........

I've had loads of good practical advise.......and some of it works.....

Hugs......................Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • sue1963
    Options
    robertls wrote:
    Hello Sue.................and welcome

How do we cope.......................I'm sure we all ask ourselves that..........

Bottom line is.....we do.....

Personally, with a lot of help and encouragement from the guys and gals on here....

Between us we've probably seen, felt, or suffered pretty much all there is....

By talking here we can help each other........

I've had loads of good practical advise.......and some of it works.....

Hugs......................Rob x

Thank you Rob....Im so glad I found this place just cross with myself for not finding it before.

Sue xxx
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    Don't be 'cross' for just finding this place....

Be 'happy' you did........

Happy Christmas....................Rob x
    Roba045.gif