Movicol info please.

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 28. Dec 2009, 13:48 in Community Chit-chat archive
My little girl is really suffering with faecal impaction.She is taking her movicol but its not shifting the mass.It has meant sleepless nights and she is not eating much.We missed the pantomine because of it.I know a lot of you take movicol so how long could it take.She had 3 yesterday and she hates it,and 2 today plus 1 a day since Sat.Any advice on helpful food?This lump is 8 weeks but usually go 3 months.I cannot stand seeing her in so much discomfort and fear.

i see consultant on Jan 13th but it seems a lifetime away.
Best wishes a very tired and upset Elizabeth.

ps sorry not been able to join in forum much and so many things I want to say!
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As an adult, I have twice had to resort to 4 a day for 2 days before I got any relief, but I should think it's a very individual thing particularly with a child.
    I'm not sure how you are giving it to her, are you putting it in fruit juice or with a fruit drink? I found it goes down better if it is warm so would she take it in a little soup?

Luckily for me I don't need it all the time, just as and when necessary (and sometimes it is very necessary).

I had a similar problem with my eldest daughter as a tiny one but hers was caused by being over-active - she literally would not stop long enough! I had to give her suppositories for about a year, but once we managed to get through to her that if she would only sit down long enough the problem would solve itself and she was OK by the time she was 3.

Just a thought - perhaps giving her something with oil in (olive oil, almond oil even) might help? Otherwise I can only suggest the usual prunes, apples etc.

Hope it helps - you have all my sympathy!

Annie
  • margaretschild
    margaretschild Member Posts: 197
    Options
    Hi, I take Movicol every day usually twice maybe three times when times are hard (Lol!). Sorry couldn't help it!

Anyway I am sorry to hear that your daughter is suffering, when my daughter was little and had the problem I used to sit her in a bowl of warm soapy water for about 5 mins. If she is too old for that oil or soap in the right place works very well.

I do hope she is soon sorted.
    I am afraid I have no idea how long it takes to work on a child, it can take 3-4 days if I have forgotten to take them.

Linda
  • tkachev
    Options
    She has the childs movicol and I mix it ribena and water,her fave.The consultent said he would remove it manually if he has to but the medication should prevent that.Suppostries dont stay where they should unfortunately.
    She has had it since a baby too but told her brain signals no longer tell her bowels to do their work so it just blocks up.It has just got worse and worse.
    Thankyou for your advice Annie and Jan.It will be awful for Christmas if it continues but trying not to put her under pressure as that will prob make it worse.
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou Margaret,
    She is often in pain but now suffering badly.She is alsosore from the constant leakage she suffers which is caused by the lump irritating the stomach lining.I did put some cream (name escapes me) but she fusses cos everything hurts so much,
    Gotta go she is crying

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Elizabeth,

No wonder you are tired and upset watching your daughter in such pain and anguish with a problem that is there most of the time, to a greater or lesser degree. I so wish I could give you an answer that would work. 13 January IS a lifetime away, I am so very sorry to read your post. You are always so kind to me and everyone on here when you have all these ongoing problems to contend with too.

I so hope it sorts itself out very soon without having to take any more drastic measures. Bless her, and you too. You are a lovely mum.

I so hope today gets better for you both.

Lots of love and gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,942
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth.
    i know i'm not a child but i was told by a lady serving in the chemist to eat 20 grapes straight off
    your daughter might not need that many.
    i found it worked if i had a hot drink after the grapes.
    i hope it helps. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou for your kind words Elna.I think all these problems keep my mind away from my arthritis so it has its blessings.
    Daschound(blimey cant spell that one!) Lucy loves grapes so could try that otherwise I will have just wait for nature to get a move on.My other daughter Charlotte has arrived so have an extra pair of hands but still got to keep an eye on the boys and Lucy wants lots of cuddles.
    Thankyou Margaretsdaughter for your PM!
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Have you tried prune juice Elizabeth, that's usually excellent for getting things shifting .....that's if she'll drink it? :|

Luv Legs :?
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Sorry that you are having these ongoing problems with your daughter. It is very distressing for her and you.

I think any kind of fruit is good, so maybe give her the ones she likes the best. Otherwise, anything which is high in fibre which she will eat.

I do hope this problem will be sorted out soon.

All the best

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth , my son was given Movial as he was finding it hard to go to the bathroom, he told us to mix it in orange juice we did this it did not work at first after two or three doses it did but he was saying that his stomach was sore , so we cut it down to just one a week again not much movement , but at least his stomach was not sore .

I was given the adult by my gp and my stomach killed me ( god help the kids) I rang my gp to say I was not taking anymore as my stomach was sore she said try the kids type, now I found this helped me for a while then I got fed up going to the bathroom I told gp to give me something else , her relpy was senna Tablet , now this great for me ( not for kids) I hope and pray that your daughter likes this Movial and it works for ( with no side effects)

Mike R & Hazel & Mike JR

ALL THE BEST :):):):):):):):)
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • kiefersangel
    kiefersangel Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi!

I've got to be honest and say I had the same problem (faecal impaction) in September this year. And I ended up in hospital for a couple of days with it :(

I've tried Movicol, and it didn't do much for me. But I think that must be becase of how impacted I was :oops:

The doctors at the hospital gave me this laxative that worked within minutes of me drinking it. I'm trying to remembr what the name of it was cause it's pretty good stuff.
    My doctor gave me macogrol (not sure of the name). It doesn't have any taste to it :wink: Maybe just a little bit of sweetness to it, but nothing awful :)

There's also something called Fybogel. It's this powder that you mix in with water. You can get it in orange or lemon flavour. It's available at chemists. I'm taking the orange one right now to try and keep regular. It's about the best thing I'm taking right now. They do help. But you gotta remember to take one everyday.

My mum works at a care home and she's gotten tips to eat apples and drink apple juice. That's suppose to help.

Hope your daughter is feeling much better soon! The discomfort is awful :( People thought I was 9 months pregnant and asking me when I was due I was that bad :shock:
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou for all your helpful advice.Still nothing happening so just settling her down to watch the Cars movie on the laptop.Hope to get some sleep tonight!She has had some grapes and cucumber which Charlotte says is good for constipation.She is making an effort to take the movicol which is a big step forward.
    Take care all
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth
    so sorry your poor daughter is suffering.
    does she drink much water and/or juice i think that really helps, but doubt she feels like eating or drinking much if shes that bunged up poor love.
    hope she gets a good nights sleep and you do to, and she gets some relief asap
    take care and happy Christmas to you and the family.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

I hope she will soon be better and I think it should have worked by now. Is there any point in trying to catch a doctor first thing maybe they can give her something else? Its not fair they leave her so long as she must be very uncomfortable. I really hope it will soon be sorted. Cris x
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi, i too suffer for wks not being able to go.
    Ive only got lactose & it gives me severe stomach cramps,pain & bloating, so much so that i cant take it.
    Ive tried Fibrogel & senacot & nothing works.
    The only thing that does make me move is rivita or a glass of red wine.
    I suffer so badly that my stomach bloats so much,i can look 6 months gone & i get bad flutulance(sp) too.
    I have told my gp & the pain clinic. I got told ive got IBS but not given anything for it. :shock: Im getting pretty fed up now.
    I hope you can get something for you littleone that helps.Its bad enough for us adults,so even harder for a kiddie.
    One of mine suffered from ear infections for 7yrs til i got her into hospital for grommits. so i can understand your concern & how tired you must be.
    luv debs
  • evabuk
    evabuk Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth
    I had really bad problems with impaction a few months ago, and found that even movicol didn't work if I took the regular doses...even the maximum "faecal impaction" dose - I think it was 6 sachets within a few hours - only worked the once, and it was not pleasant. The process went on for hours if you know what I mean.

I subsequently saw a gastroenterologist who recommended Milpar (mixture of milk of magnesia and liquid paraffin) which you can actually buy OTC, and it works brilliantly for me.

It is suitable for children (I just looked at the label) but you may want to discuss it with your GP first.

I have to warn you it isn't particularly appetising - but you can mix it in juice if necessary.

hope this helps.