The pagan way.

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 27. Dec 2009, 13:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
The winter solstice has passed so it’s time to wish you all a great yule celebrations.
Now the days begin to grow longer and life will reappear anew and so the cycle of life repeats, so I’ll light a candle and to mark the suns return I'll burn my ash yule log in our wood burning stove and think of you all and wish you a pain free celebrations.

Mell

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mell

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts. I like the idea of lighting a candle.

Have a lovely break from the dreaded work :!:

Love from Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • mellman01
    Options
    Thanks Joan I will. :wink:
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Many thanks from me too, Mel. During the dark winter months, I enjoy having lighted candles around the home and find them very calming and peaceful to watch and think of the past, present and the future and certain people who are dear to me or have been dear to me.

Hope the aches and pains stay away for you or at least minimise themselves over the festivities and I wish you the very best for 2010.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mellman01
    Options
    Thanks Elna I will take care.

Mell
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    It sounds delightful, Mell. Small flames to help push the darkness away and to light up the dusk..............add to that a roaring fire and I think that sounds like a recipe for contentment.

Enjoy the season, Mell!

Annie
  • mellman01
    Options
    Thanks Annie.
  • nobody
    nobody Member Posts: 12
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    The winter solstice has passed so it’s time to wish you all a great yule celebrations.
    Now the days begin to grow longer and life will reappear anew and so the cycle of life repeats, so I’ll light a candle and to mark the suns return and burn my ash yule log in our wood burning stove and think of you all and wish you a pain free celebrations.

Mell

So mote it be.

Indigo ( x )
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi pixy and Indigo thanks for the replies, as I sit here my log fire is going great guns both our dogs are asleep in a heat comma, I must say it’s nice to know there are a few of us Pagans on here makes me feel proud knowing such nice people.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Got the fire roaring too and some candles were alight but had to blow them out incase I forgot them.
    Our pagan friends will pop round later.They have done the stonehenge trip and staying in the London area for a few days.
    All the best
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    Options
    now dont show off , we moved here 2 years ago , we had not long got a lovely old fire place going in old house, prolly what sold the dam thing, here we have square rooms and flat walls and no chimney :cry: i miss it so much !!! hubby made me laff last night, we have not long had HD installed and one of the channels is a roaring fire ! with sound effects! :lol:

pixy you could have a small wood burning stove put in so long as it's placed on an outside wall, they can pipe through a stainless flue mind you do you want a stainless pipe running up your outside wall of your house?, if you have a conservatory you can have the same thing done, a guy at work has one in his.
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    tell us more about your tradition please from joanne
    Joanne
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I love having candles around. With the christmas lights and just the candles it looks lovely and so restful.
    They bring a little warmth as well.
    I think lighting candles makes you think of someone who's not so good

I certainly like the idea of the longer days coming.
    Joy
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Joan well the winter solstice is a celebration of the sun returning and the anticipation of spring then summer, Yule is 12 day feasting of the same celebration it’s where the Yule tide saying comes from and the 12 days of Christmas originated, The Yule log is traditionally burnt on in the hearth again to celebrate the solstice and the point at which the days start to get longer thus bringing new life to the land. Paganisum is strongly Associated with the land and the understanding that it's an ecosystem that should never be exploited and any interaction with it should carfully controlled as to not upset the delacate balance, in fact the total opposite of what happens today.
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    sounds really nice it is good to hear about other traditions other than my own thanks for writing about yours joanne
    Joanne