Disappointed

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 24. Dec 2009, 04:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, just had my third rheumy appointment. In April started MTX up to 15mg. In October increased to 20mg. Tolerated well with no side-effects.

Still having some pain/stiffness/swelling, but for the last 6 weeks had actually felt more like my old self. I had hoped this was a sign that the MTX was taking effect. So, you can imagine I was disappointed when the rheumy said I'd still got high levels of inflammation, and he wants me to start on both Hydroxychloroquine and Sulfasalazine after Christmas :(

I had so much faith in the MTX, pushing the worry about side-effects to the back of my mind, really believing this drug would succeed. I know I will take whatever the rheumy suggests, because my biggest fear is becoming crippled/dependant on others in the future :( Then what if they don't work? Anti-TNF? What if that doesn't work....................

ah well, my imaginatiion is running away with me I think.

I just hope I tolerate these drugs as well as I have the MTX - and that they get 'arthur' under control.

Jackie :(

p.s. Wishing I'd had this appointment after Christmas, the disappointment with the MTX and that arthur is not getting controlled is making me feel a bit weepy at the moment :cry:

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jackie,

I am sorry to read your appointment didn't go as well as you'd like with the blood tests. Is he saying the Hydrox and the Sulfa as add in's or instead of the mtx?

I really hope your next bloods show your infection levels are down and wish I could say more to help. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris x
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    But maybe the changes in meds will give your body that extra boost to kick RA right up the backside!!! It's easy to forget sometimes when you're feeling good, that the RA might still be bubbling away

Hi Lynne, Cris, Jan,

Lynne, what you have said is exactly what the rheumy was saying. The two new drugs are to be used along with the MTX. He said even though I was feeling pretty good it didn't mean the disease wasn't quietly working away doing joint damage - and he is thinking of the long-term and wants to prevent that happening.

Its silly to get upset, expecially as I'd read of so many people being on these combined drugs, and I had expected to follow suit really. But we live in hope don't we :wink:

Anyway, I'm okay about it this morning, have put my 'logical' head back on lol

Oh, and liking a little drink or two, I asked him how my liver is doing........... he said its excellent, one of the best results he has seen for liver function! "In that case", says I with a twinkle in my eye, "I think I'll drink a bit more then!".

Thanks for replying, the support is great and just what I needed :)

So, Christmas Eve, lots to do - love to you all.

Jackie xx