Swimming

Options
madness1985
madness1985 Member Posts: 293
edited 4. Jan 2010, 07:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

I had hydrotheropy earlier today. It was great just tiring! Thing is my physio said can you swim? I said yes because i use to swim all the time use to go once a week its good for the heart you see.

Anyway went to start from the wall and i couldnt do it :cry: my wrists hurt but my lower back just could rise for the correct position is that makes sence, it really upset me n i just started treading water, its like another like RA has taken :(

also been told im getting finger splints!

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,

I had hydrotheropy earlier today. It was great just tiring! Thing is my physio said can you swim? I said yes because i use to swim all the time use to go once a week its good for the heart you see.

Anyway went to start from the wall and i couldnt do it :cry: my wrists hurt but my lower back just could rise for the correct position is that makes sence, it really upset me n i just started treading water, its like another like RA has taken :(

also been told im getting finger splints!

hi madness, maybe you are just out of practice? I used to be a very strong swimmer and now can only do a few widths but I've had hydrotherapy too recently and it's helped me swim a bit more each time. Also, I now always swim with a float, either in my arms or sometimes I hold it tight with my arms over my stomach and kick backwards. It helps keep you bouyant. I hope it might work for you.
    S
  • madness1985
    Options
    Thanks Sally,

My rhmer is currently accessing my lower back and my wrists are extreamly painful so she didnt want to push my back, thing is my dad always said one you learn to swim ull never forget like riding a bike .. i felt really upset :(
  • salamander
    Options
    Thanks Sally,

My rhmer is currently accessing my lower back and my wrists are extreamly painful so she didnt want to push my back, thing is my dad always said one you learn to swim ull never forget like riding a bike .. i felt really upset :(

I'm really sorry and can understand why you are upset. It must be a blow not to be able to do something that was once easy. I know I am upset that I can't walk very fast, kind of shocking to me really. Hope I wasn't insenstive before suggesting things. You always hope what you find works for you works for someone else too. Should have known better.
    love Sally
  • madness1985
    Options
    Hi sally,

No you wasnt being insensitive. I can cope with slow walking because i also have Fallots of Techtrology (heart condition). So im use to being slow! I just hate how much RA has taken from me i spose in time things will get better in some respects.

Although when physio said my hand is as far to "normal" as they cn get it didnt help my mood after my none swimming!

Hope you have a lovely christmas x
  • salamander
    Options
    Hi sally,

No you wasnt being insensitive. I can cope with slow walking because i also have Fallots of Techtrology (heart condition). So im use to being slow! I just hate how much RA has taken from me i spose in time things will get better in some respects.

Although when physio said my hand is as far to "normal" as they cn get it didnt help my mood after my none swimming!

Hope you have a lovely christmas x

I understand completely! Hope you have a lovely christmas too.xx
  • margaretschild
    margaretschild Member Posts: 197
    Options
    Hi Madness,

As an ex swimming teacher and Life Guard trainer I used to be in the water every day, after I was diagnosed and beginning to feel a little better I thought it would be a good idea to get back in the pool, I am also trained in aquafit so I knew what exercises I could do etc.

Anyway I could not swim a stroke and not only did it upset me but it scared me as well after all I had spent most of my adult life in the water.

But I can tell you that it will come back, I can only swim a few lengths and I do have to rest using a float really helps.

I can only speak from my personal experience but I found that a little at a time works well.

Linda
  • salamander
    Options
    Hi Madness,

As an ex swimming teacher and Life Guard trainer I used to be in the water every day, after I was diagnosed and beginning to feel a little better I thought it would be a good idea to get back in the pool, I am also trained in aquafit so I knew what exercises I could do etc.

Anyway I could not swim a stroke and not only did it upset me but it scared me as well after all I had spent most of my adult life in the water.

But I can tell you that it will come back, I can only swim a few lengths and I do have to rest using a float really helps.

I can only speak from my personal experience but I found that a little at a time works well.

Linda

That sounds encouranging! Thanks Linda.
    S
  • margaretschild
    Options
    Hi Madness,

Let me know how you get along

Linda
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i could swim well but with hands getting weak can not swim far without problems and water has to be warm or back goes into spasm but little and often does help
    val
  • madness1985
    Options
    Hey,

Sorry for replying late ive been busy over christmas then traveling up to scotland! Linda that must have been a horrible shock to you. I shall try again next week with my physio and floats as im having a week off in scotland! Ill just try and do a bit at a time and try not get upset and fustrated. RA gets me to me :(

x
  • margaretschild
    Options
    Hey,

Sorry for replying late ive been busy over christmas then traveling up to scotland! Linda that must have been a horrible shock to you. I shall try again next week with my physio and floats as im having a week off in scotland! Ill just try and do a bit at a time and try not get upset and fustrated. RA gets me to me :(

x

Hi Madness,

I hope you have enjoyed Scotland, yes it was a shock to push off from the side of the pool and then nothing, it was very strange, but last summer we took our grandchildren on holiday to Dorset and I swam in the sea!! So there is hope - just give yourself time. RA gets to me as well, but there is nothing we can do except accept it. Once I accepted the fact that I had it things got a bit easier. It's the accepting that is the hard part

Linda